Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origin of Wexford town accent

Options
  • 13-05-2013 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

The main ethnic groups that settled in Wexford throughout it's history were:

The Native Irish
    The Vikings
    The Normans
    The Cromwellian settlers

So at least one of these ethnic groups must have contributed to the formation of the accent.

Which of these groups does the Wexford town accent come from?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

annelida wrote: »
    The main ethnic groups that settled in Wexford throughout it's history were:

The Native Irish
    The Vikings
    The Normans
    The Cromwellian settlers

So at least one of these ethnic groups must have contributed to the formation of the accent.

Which of these groups does the Wexford town accent come from?

The HUUNNS. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueskys

The peculiar wexford town accent (saying that because i speak with one!) i think arises from the fact that wexford was a busy shipping port for the best part of 1000 years up to the 20th Century. Once you go outside the town (even a few miles in some cases) you will spot the difference in accents immediately. The accent seems to be an amalgam of hiberno english and accents from other ports and shipping areas that would have had most contact with wexford. To me there is a bit of a cornish/westcountry, welsh,dublin and belfast accents in it. Could also have some french influences in the accent as there would have been a lot of trade from normandy and of course the norman influence from the 12th century. The accent certainly comes from being a trading port with lines of communication coming across the sea rather than from other parts of ireland. Most of the town's population over the years would have been involved in the shipping trade or ancillary activities and i imagine it would have been a tight knit community, without a huge dilution of the accent.

I've heard some people say there was soldiers from the north (belfast) also stationed in the town barracks there in cromwell times which could also have had an influence but don't know how true this is. People from other parts of the country have certainly mistook the accent for a northern one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I think the Wexford accent sounds slightly like the northern accent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cromwellian gan dabht ar bith.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Your Mammy Keeps you lovely HUUNN.

or

Howya HUUNN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

I personally think there is also a flemish influence coming from the times when "Yola" was spoke here but this is not really supported by any historians. Still I think its not beyond the bounds of reason that some Flemish influence had arrived here. Anyone hearing the old wexford language of Yola would hear similarities with the flemish language and obviously mixed with Ye Olde English...

Of course Forth and Bargy was the Kingdom which stretched from wexford town down through piercestown, killinick, tagoat and onwards towards rosslare and ending up in Cornwall!!

I think Blueskys really has hit the nail on the head though when he attributes our charming brogue to a mix from Native Irish, English and seafaring gentlemen and women who have landed here from further shores.

I did also hear the theory that Wexford had a strong relationship with our brothers up north and alot of safehouses and rebellion may be the link to our nordy twang!

I've often been mistaken as being from the north when elsewhere in Ireland and also in England.

D'ya want salt n vinegar on that huuun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 annelida

Were the Flemish from Belgium and Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Queerin' deadly boy

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

Seems my leanings may have had some truth. After some research there was a flemish influence in Wexford. Sailors from Flanders(Ghent, Bruges, Ypres) fought with locals during the confederate wars in the 1640's!!

Also, this stands to reason, I didn't want to say it previously but in the town there is several buildings of flemish Architectural influence. There is Flemish houses similar to what you'd see in Belgium / Holland situated on North main street, basically just after the bullring. Mans shop occupies space on the ground floor and United colours of benetton and some others. You'll see an example also where the "Voila" shop recently closed and up over that an art gallery and an old style window with "muse" wrote on it. Rooftop also of flemish style as far as I can remember.

I do not know if these houses were built during a certain period while these sailors were here, after they left or as some sort of nod to the influence of the past, but they can be seen across the road now from fat face. Have a look up over the shops and you will see the raised walls over the roof gable and at either side curving down towards the boundary of each building in typical flemish architectural style.

just thought id add in case it was important for your study.

Advertisement