Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant won't move after notice given

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

djimi wrote: »
    I would love to see a legal interpretation of this. Its seems ridiculous to me that something that is seemingly so basic is such a grey area.

There own't be a legal interpretation until someone brings a case in Court and a judge rules on it. What landlord is going to fund an expensive case to find out?
    At the moment that is what the adjudicators in the PRTB are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Kosseegan wrote: »
    What is untrue? have you any back up for what you are saying?
    I have seen termination notices ruled as defective because they were issued during a fixed term lease. I don't agree with that interpretation of the Act but the o/p would be an idiot to assume that all is well. It will do a fat lot of good to
    losr an adjudication over this in 6 months time and then run the risk of an appeal with a potential costs order and no certainty of a favourable result.
    The RTA is a badly drafted piece of legislation and has led to ridiculous situations. A landlord has to be very careful to avoid being hit with expensive delays and costs.

can you link any PRTB adjudications that have shown notice to be defective when served in the proper manner, with the proper timeframe to conclude after the finishing of a lease that have been determined defective by overholding tenants ?

I've not seen one, and like you say yourself no legal challenge has been taken by either party. So unless you can like something to show otherwise it remains a grey area and your definitive answer is therefore untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Thanks for all the advice to date folks. Just as an update, having sent the registered letter two weeks ago, I've had no reply from the tenants. They are supposed to be gone by the end of this week but I think its fairly obvious they won't be. What should be my next step?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Chiorino wrote: »
    What should be my next step?
    Send them "notice to quit"
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/notice_to_quit_and_eviction.html

Then after the time expires, you then goto the court and get an eviction notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

the_syco wrote: »
    Send them "notice to quit"
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/local_authority_and_social_housing/notice_to_quit_and_eviction.html

Then after the time expires, you then goto the court and get an eviction notice.

Incorrect ... the after the notice to quit expires the only legal course of action for the Landlord is to register a dispute with the PRTB for overholding.

Subject to the determination order from the PRTB (which could take quite a while to get) .. then the Landlord can go down the court route.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    Incorrect ... the after the notice to quit expires the only legal course of action for the Landlord is to register a dispute with the PRTB for overholding.

Subject to the determination order from the PRTB (which could take quite a while to get) .. then the Landlord can go down the court route.

Its only overholding if they continue to pay rent. Are you sure they are ?

If not there is zero need to go to the PRTB the PRTB are not an official step in the eviction process as far as Im aware and do not have to be engaged in a dispute before going to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

D3PO wrote: »

If not there is zero need to go to the PRTB the PRTB are not an official step in the eviction process as far as Im aware and do not have to be engaged in a dispute before going to court.

The PRTB is the only course of action unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Sugar Soap

If they are not paying rent a notice of rent srrears has to be given. If the rent remains unpaid an application has to be made to the PRTB for an order for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Sugar Soap wrote: »
    If they are not paying rent a notice of rent srrears has to be given. If the rent remains unpaid an application has to be made to the PRTB for an order for payment.

Rubbish.

If they are not paying rent a 14 day rent arrears notice to be served followed by a 28 day notice if termination if the full amount owed has not been paid.

If the tenant has been served a valid notice if termination and continues to stay in the dwelling illegally you must apply to the PRTB for resolution on the grounds of over holding.

Overholding has nothing to do with rent being paid or not just a valid NOT.

It is also one of the things you can request a priority hearing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont think the courts will listen to any tenancy related cases that havent been through the PRTB first.

• Advertisement

I dont think the courts will listen to any tenancy related cases that havent been through the PRTB first.

Correct ,

The PRTB is the only legal route unless costs are above 60K

After determination order is sent if tenant continues to stay in the dwelling then you can take it to the district court and get a court order and engage a sheriff if you like but only AFTER going through the PRTB dispute resolution process.

wasn't sure this was the case. I still am not I must look into it more tbh.

wasn't sure this was the case. I still am not I must look into it more tbh.

You might be right; I pretty much going on what I have read on here! It is my understanding that a court will only enforce the PRTB ruling, but I might be wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Sugar Soap

discodavie wrote: »
    Rubbish.

If they are not paying rent a 14 day rent arrears notice to be served followed by a 28 day notice if termination if the full amount owed has not been paid.

If the tenant has been served a valid notice if termination and continues to stay in the dwelling illegally you must apply to the PRTB for resolution on the grounds of over holding.

Overholding has nothing to do with rent being paid or not just a valid NOT.

It is also one of the things you can request a priority hearing on.

There is no need for a termination notice if there is one in dispute.
    There is no need to seek to terminate a tenancy for non payment before goin to the PRTB. An order for possession and N order for rent arrears are two different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

discodavie wrote: »
    Correct ,

The PRTB is the only legal route unless costs are above 60K

After determination order is sent if tenant continues to stay in the dwelling then you can take it to the district court and get a court order and engage a sheriff if you like but only AFTER going through the PRTB dispute resolution process.

The potential costs are above 60k... this poor man stands to see the sale fall through because his tenants are being assholes. wonder if that's enough to see a court?

Sugar Soap wrote: »
    There is no need for a termination notice if there is one in dispute.
    There is no need to seek to terminate a tenancy for non payment before goin to the PRTB. An order for possession and N order for rent arrears are two different things.

1 - I never said anything about a second notice.

2 - if any of my tenants had gotten so far as to pay so late that I issued a NOT and they didn't leave then I would be going to the PRTB , that's what this thread is about.

3 - There is only a PRTB determination order (non payment or otherwise) not desperate things like you imply.

And when it's sent in a case like this it determines the date a tenant MUST leave by.

The potential costs are above 60k... this poor man stands to see the sale fall through because his tenants are being assholes. wonder if that's enough to see a court?

I dont believe that would count as a cost in this case, but you have a point and it is something worth looking into further.

The key word there is potential I'm afraid.

If rent arrears were +60k then you'd have no problem but the other side could argue that he could always find another buyer.

Advertisement