Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started, moving?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello there,
    I hope someone can help me...
    I am wondering where do I even begin with moving and working abroad? I don’t have any past jobs so far.... I suppose its a bit silly to just want to up and leave with no experience but I’m just considering my options, I don’t want live here forever anyway haha! I was thinking about Belgium....
    Is there anywhere that would like provide a place for you to live and work for your rent in one just to get started (organised maybe online or something...), or? Sorry I honestly have no idea and I just was curious to see if anyone had any advice!
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi there Piink, Welcome to Boards!

I'm moving your thread from Independent & Youth Travel to the Living Abroad forum, where it would be better suited at this stage.

Best of Luck with your future plans :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well regardless of where you decide to go the first thing you will need to do is build up savings to cover your living costs and deposits while you are searching for a job and waiting for your first pay packet to arrived.

You will also need to consider what qualifications and skills you have and how you might make use of then in the new country. Also will your qualifications be recognized there. For instance Irish trades and professions enjoy mutual recognition within the EU. You also don't need a visa to take up work there.

Another consideration is the language, which languages do you speak and how competent are you? Normally you would need at least B1 and more likely B2 if you are going to work through a particular language. And how would you feel about living your life through another language?

If you don't have the language skills or are not interested in developing them, the you are looking at the English speaking countries plus say the tourist industry and international organizations in mainland Europe.

What attracts you to Belgium, apart from the chocolate that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Piink

Hey Thank you for your fast and helpful replies...

I was there on holiday two years ago and I dunno why but just considered it!

What I really want to know is, is there an agency or something online that would have accommodation and training or find me a job without me having to stay in a hostel of some sort :O
    I have a good bit of money saved at the moment ... :) even just maybe a summer job abroad, i'm so confused as to how to get started, i tried to find places online that had jobs but they all require previous experience or qualifications... i don't really have much other than babysitting and cleaning?

Is it really that hard.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if youre not fixated on Belgium, the german job office has 700,000+ odd vacancies advertised.
    Some are graduate posts but others are plain manual labour.
    Places like Munich or Dusseldorf or the likes which arent really seeing the worst of the recession should be a fairly safe bet.
    The only time I've ever heard of accomodation being organised in advance was by large companies either during relocation of folks with high skills and experience or for students doing placements.

Traditionally the irish summer student solution in Munich was simply to camp in a tent till something comes along, which with a little effort should work out as many german students rent out their flats for the university holidays which are from july to mid september.
    The lateness of the Bavarian holidays though is an advantage for Irish students coming over as you can work full time 2months before the german students are free.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Piink wrote: »
    What I really want to know is, is there an agency or something online that would have accommodation and training or find me a job without me having to stay in a hostel of some sort :O

In a word 'No'. The only thing I could think of in that respect might be an aupair position, but then you'd only be getting pocket money and perhaps they would pay for language lessons as well. Still it might be a way for you to try it out and see what it is like to live in mainland Europe.

Otherwise it is up to you to go there and sort it out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

If you don't mind working on a farm or horticulture, you could become a wooffer for a few weeks, you'd get board and lodgings in exchange for work, and it might give you time to explore your options and find out more about living and working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

if your experience is babysitting and cleaning then maybe a job as chambermaid in a hotel with a little baby sitting on the side as a top up?

Advertisement