Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work for 16 year olds

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi guys , im doing my JC in a couple weeks and I will be wanting to get a job for the summer .. Im in a town where theres a lot , i mean a lot of shops and businesses there .. anyone recommend as to places where people would take on a 16 year old? I could work fulltime for a month or two .. Like for example would Lidl, Supervalue , Dunnes take on 16 year olds? or will I have to try gardening centres and restaurants?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Hey Yall wrote: »
    Hi guys , im doing my JC in a couple weeks and I will be wanting to get a job for the summer .. Im in a town where theres a lot , i mean a lot of shops and businesses there .. anyone recommend as to places where people would take on a 16 year old? I could work fulltime for a month or two .. Like for example would Lidl, Supervalue , Dunnes take on 16 year olds? or will I have to try gardening centres and restaurants?

Retail jobs in large chains for 16 year olds are practically non-existent these days. Not only do you require a separate risk assessment and rosters you've little or no experience. My advice is use contacts and try and get something through the family / friends. If you are looking at large chains do not let on it's just for the summer.

Some advice for when you're 18 and at college and really need a PT job.
    • make sure your CV isn't full of summer jobs - have continuous employment.
    • if you cant find continuous employment - volunteer
    • build your customer service and sales abilities - 95% of jobs need these

think outside the box - there are jobs out there for 16 year olds, they can just be difficult to come by.

Advertisement