Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

--Ecograte- Anyone using it? --

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

HI

I was told about this insert for the fireplace called ecograte. It's a diy install and cuts fuel use by 50%.

Only thing is, I can't find anyone who uses it and I can't find the price.

Anyone had any experience of it?

I was deffo on getting a solid fuel stove but this might change my mind if the price is right.

John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just googled it and their website has suppliers; who would have prices.

Ugly looking brute though!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Yeah saw the site. And yip it's an eyesore. Just annoys me when a website doesn't show pricing. Is it some sort of secret or something??? Puts me off doing business with companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

seanaway wrote: »
    Yeah saw the site. And yip it's an eyesore. Just annoys me when a website doesn't show pricing. Is it some sort of secret or something??? Puts me off doing business with companies.

They don't do retail so contact a supplier as listed by them to get a price. E.g.. Bosch don't give prices for their products on their website but their suppliers will.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Plumbing & Heating forum

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Damn dat one uuuuugly modafuka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Think they make them in Galway, showed them to the missus and judging from the look on her face there a good chance we won't be getting one..:D...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Something I've been quite interested in but I also thought that the price was slightly offputting. The price can be ascertained from clicking on the Credit Union affiliated schemes. Around €680 ? Before the loan aspect is added.

If it was around the €400 mark, it could be a runner. But its getting into stove territory once its at €700 i.e a space heater-only stove could be fitted for around a grand maybe?

I've seen DIY projects of serpentine grates for around $100 but no guarantee that the steel would last a few years. Hence v risky re CO.

Anyone any feedback on the Ecograte or similar? The niche I would particularly see for them is in the rental market, where LLs promote prehistoric fireplace technology as mod cons. Even a simple cold air valve for the standard fireplace would be a huge improvement.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Anyone?

They're a novel idea and you're right with what you said before, great for rental properties. But when you consider the cost is €650 (ish) it would make a lot more sense in the long term to go for a Woodburning or Multifuel Stove.
    The Eco Grate is under testing atm in GMIT (I think, could be NUIG) but from experience it is probably somewhere around 40% efficient (open fire 20% & stove 75%). It does require ESB too so that has to be factored in. Then in terms of heat, I'd be surprised if it provides more than 4kw of overall heat to the room.

If the budget allows you'd be much better off spending the extra couple hundred on an Inset Stove which is a better all round unit.

Hi folks,

there's an almost new one on Adverts

I was going for it but my landlord knocked it on the head as he's talking about installing a stove now. But well priced, hardly used and very nice people to deal with. Its in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

NEW PRODUCT ?

My uncle had something very similar in his house 30 years ago.

Stoves are best option.
    ALWAYS have a carbon monoxide alarm.

scudo2 wrote: »
    NEW PRODUCT ?

My uncle had something very similar in his house 30 years ago.

Stoves are best option.
    ALWAYS have a carbon monoxide alarm.

There's been grate blowers for years alright but very few real options on the Irish market until this came along. If I had my way though, it would be a Jetmaster with closable damper. Some people prefer (and some people have a significant other who prefers!) the radiant heat of an open fire. So a jetmaster installation (dear) or a fireplace blower which is cheaper (Ecograte) is a good compromise between efficiency and aesthetics.

I hear what you're saying about CO alarms. But look, every home should have ones anyway. A neighbour's mistake could cost your family, even if you're not burning fossil fuels.

With a poorly drawing chimney, a fireplace blower can exacerbate smoke spill, true. But just like with a plain old fireplace, you can give the room some draft and keep the fire small (recommended for Ecograte anyway) and back a little on the grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

just got 1 ... 560 euro,collected and put in myself.. its burning away now throwing out hot air...already impressed,time will tell...3 year warranty which is amazing... and the guys n gal in there were spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Just googled this and realised my grandfather made one about 30 years ago. It was essentially a new grate but a fan pushed air through the pipes and out. Savage heat and it couldnt be left on too long. Or they could have just used less fuel... haha!
    Thats mad!

fan comes on once temp is reached and shuts off when it cools down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Interested in one of these... Is the fan noisy? And would the heat from the fire not burn the electric cable powering the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marychrystal

Are u still impressed with ecograte

toby2111 wrote:
    Interested in one of these... Is the fan noisy? And would the heat from the fire not burn the electric cable powering the fan?
    fan is not what you call loud..blends into background if TV is on..as regards cable its at the base so does not get too much heat direct...I'd imagine if embers fell out it could be a issue...but 3 year warranty eased my concern tbh
    Are u still impressed with ecograte

I love it so far..using less fuel and getting great heat... glad I didn't splurge a grand on a stove now ..all in...

time will tell of course

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭therealmccoy

The Eco Grate (IMO) would have been a fantastic product 15 yrs ago (Or be a reasonable price now). But spending €650 on a product that still leaves a gaping whole in your chimney seems crazy to me. No doubt that while it spreads the heat quite well when it's working, it is still only around 40-50% efficient and you still have a draught in the room.

From a pure efficiency POV, a Stove (whether Inset or Freestanding) is a much better Investment, and probably one which wouldn't cost that much more that what you'd spend on an Eco Grate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is there a possibility of a hole being burnt in it and then the fan blows out carbon monoxide?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Is there a possibility of a hole being burnt in it and then the fan blows out carbon monoxide?

its passed the highest uk safety specifications so id doubt that, why not call them and find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Absolute madness to think this is a good investment.
    If the cost was around e200 or less it might have a place in the market.
    For e600 you could buy a 70/80% efficient 5kw stove and have it fitted.
    Looks horrible also in my opinion.

Sanchez83 wrote:
    Absolute madness to think this is a good investment. If the cost was around e200 or less it might have a place in the market. For e600 you could buy a 70/80% efficient 5kw stove and have it fitted. Looks horrible also in my opinion.

I did try the stove option..bit it was 399 for stove..340 for the bits with it...add fitting...1k ish... paid 550 for eco grate..installed in 5 mins...can take with me if I move...great heat...using less fuel...for me anyway...winner winner

Ww got a 6kw stove fitted for €550. Save a fortune and looks great. Can also take it with us if we move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Ww got a 6kw stove fitted for €550. Save a fortune and looks great. Can also take it with us if we move.

Where did you get that?

jayzuz its not a anti stove thread lads ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I'd consider paying the 560 for it but its now 695 for either model which is way ott imo

Guy in north wexford does them. He has posts on donedeal. pm me if you want his number.

jayzuz its not a anti stove thread lads ffs...

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

This was on Dragon's Den tonight and got an investment.

Advertisement