Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filmon hypocrisy?

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Anyone else think its odd that we can't discuss getting around regional lock outs, watching streams, and downloading shows in the television forum yet this ad is all over the site

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Anyone else think its odd that we can't discuss getting around regional lock outs, watching streams, and downloading shows in the television forum yet this ad is all over the site

I would imagine the 'free' bit isn't very free and as such a paid service isn't a problem. (imo)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It isn't odd no. The adds are provided via third party and not specifically selected by boards. There's a thread stickied here if you think its unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Actually knowing the legal clusterfudge caused by Sherlock et al perhaps a quiet word to Google or whoever sticks the ads on this site might be in order. If users posting links can be problematic I'd imagine hosting advertising links could be even worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

I would imagine the 'free' bit isn't very free.

Then you would be imagining wrong as the 'free' bit is very free.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Then you would be imagining wrong as the 'free' bit is very free.
    Usual caveat; if you see a popular service and you can't figure out what the product is, then you are the product.

Chances are they're selling advertising space. They also have a premium service which I presume brings in cash.

The issue is legality, not "free-ness".

FilmOn is legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

seamus wrote: »

FilmOn is legal.

Are you definitely sure about that?

I'm surprised it's still available and I wouldn't imagine that UK broadcasters are happy for it to continue - it takes away numbers from official viewer figures, which are relied upon to determine advertising rates/spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

FilmOn is legal, they were in the courts recently to have their channels removed but came through on the other side, allowing them to add the likes of the +1 channels to their catalogue.

The companies might not like it but FilmOn is above board and plans to stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Duggy747 wrote: »
    FilmOn is legal, they were in the courts recently to have their channels removed but came through on the other side, allowing them to add the likes of the +1 channels to their catalogue.

The companies might not like it but FilmOn is above board and plans to stay that way.

Do you have a link for that? Does that mean it's ok to link to the likes of filmon and aertv?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

P_1 wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? Does that mean it's ok to link to the likes of filmon and aertv?

I assumed it was anyhow as I've seen numerous links to them on boards over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

It isn't odd no. The adds are provided via third party and not specifically selected by boards. There's a thread stickied here if you think its unsuitable.

I don't know if its unsuitable or not, I thought it was against the policy of this site and as such warrented a discussion of its own. I considered posting this in the television forum, but thought a post here would allow for a comment from the powers that be. Judging by the responses above it doesn't seem clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It is clear cut. Legitimate streaming and downloading websites can be discussed and linked to. Pirate and other copyright infringing sites can't.

Regional workarounds are a bit of a grey area. They aren't illegal but by using one you are probably violating the terms of use of the service. The office decided it was best to play it safe, so discussion of how to do it isn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is linking to addons like Media Hint allowed? I mean technically it's just the same as linking to any other extension isn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Isn't 'hypocrisy' a bit strong considering we're discussing an ad randomly generated by a third party service? Just sayin'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭The Barefoot Pizza Thief

seamus wrote: »
    Chances are they're selling advertising space. They also have a premium service which I presume brings in cash.

So are Boards, to both of the above and yet, I would still class Boards.ie as a 'free' to use .

Advertisement