Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deed poll appointment?

• 13-05-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey there. I'm just wondering is there a long appointment wait to get your name changed by deed poll? It completely slipped my mind this process and after getting time off and grabbing someone to tag along and paying train fares, it finally clicked about an appointment. I was just wondering if it's possible to ring them on the day and ask for an appointment, or is this a ridiculous notion? I'm wanting to change my surname to my family name, if that helps. If there is a long wait of appointment time, does anyone know how long it takes to get one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Ring them well in advance and ask. Tel:(01) 888 6000.

I was not aware that an appointment was necessary, but see below:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Are you saying that what is stated on the page to which I linked from the courts service is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Are you saying that what is stated on the page to which I linked from the courts service is wrong?

Courts.ie is often wrong. Still has list room marked as on 1st floor when it's been moved to beside the Central Office.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grannysmith1

Hi, New to boards, still can't figure out how to start a thread but I really just want to offer assistance to anyone that is Irish born that is changing their name legally in Ireland. This advice is based on my own experience and I hope it helps......I wish I had been told this so as to avoid the heartbreak and deep dissappointment I went through in my efforts to free myself of a name given to me by parents that adopted me and grieviously abused me my whole life.

First you need to do all this at least 2 years before you get new passport with your chosen name,

You need to do it by deedpoll first..the economical way is to print off the forms that are available online so that is a help. YOU DO NEED TO PRINT IT ON DEED POLL PAPER which you can get from most solicitors...the chap I went to didn't charge me anything, Easons used to sell it but now they don't. You need to make sure you size the document to fit in between the red lines. THen go with your witness and their ID to a comissioner for oaths and have all that needs signing signed. They will charge you for that so check before hand.

Then head to Dublin to the High Courts Building. They will look after you in the Deed Poll section and tell you what to do. At the time of writing this message it cost €60.00 stamp duty which you must pay to get the Deedpoll enrolled. Then they do their bit. Now unless you are living near or want to go back to Dublin when The Deedpoll has finished its enrollment you need to bring a decent envelope with about €2.00 in postage on it and your address, as they will post it back to you and save you the journey if you want.

The next thing you do when you have your enrolled deedpoll returned to you (1 month approx) go into your bank with your Id /passport and latest proof of address, adoption registration cert or birth cert and of course your deedpoll. This is how you start generating proof of your usage of name. Get them to change your account name and the one on your bank card...they will charge for replacing your card so be ready for that.

Next head down to the nearest Social Welfare office with all your documents and into the SAFE Card station....They should be able to change the name on the card straight away and depending on how busy things are you should have the new one with your proper name within a week.

Next notify all those you pay by direct debit and standing order i.e. Electricity company of your name change.

All of this is very important as you will need 2 YEARS OF PROOF OF NAME USAGE before the passport office will issue you with a new passport in your new name!!!

MY own experience with the passport office was hheartbreaking. I provided them with an Affidavit and with many proofs of usage of my name INCLUDING my NEW NAME Public Services Card and bank card but NO without 2 years of Elec bills and bank statements with my new name on it they refused my application.....So now I have to appeal. I have found this to be a disgraceful process by the passport office seeing as by next year you won't be able to get a passport without a Public Services card. So hopefully this will help you out there that choose your own name to be free. I wish I could be of more help.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Hi grannysmith1, welcome to boards. It is sufficient to post just the once in one thread, rather than 13 times in quick succession, which is regarded as spamming on this website.

In order to start a new thread, go to the forum view here: www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633 and click on the "New Thread" button.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grannysmith1

Hi, thanks for that, I am new to this sort of communication. Not a big net fan. But just want to help people out. thanks again for letting me know how to go about things

God Bless

Grannysmith1

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Stephen McD

Hi grannysmith, I noticed it says online e that it can also be printed on good quality paper as I could not fit the document on to the legal paper and it won't let me alter it, thanks for all your helpful info..Good on you, have you completed the whole name change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Advertisement