Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter

Options
  • 13-05-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have a prepay meter as I was in arrears. I have them cleared now but everything I top up there is still a deduction off it is this normal ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Can I suggest you have raise this on the Talk to...Electric Ireland forum - that's assuming Electric Ireland are you suppliers.

I think the meters are calibrated to take arrears in to account but the guys on the forum will definitely know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The older ones aren't, but the newer ones are. Are you inserting tokens or purchasing vend codes over the counter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Egan2012,

As RoundyMooney has corrected noted above, it depends on the type of meter you have installed.

With the newer (keypad) meters, for which you purchase a vend code, a certain percentage (currently 25%) is contributed towards your arrears each time you top-up. However, when you reach arrears of 0, you should be getting the full value of your vend code. You could think of it this way: if your arrears are at 0, 25% of 0 is still 0, so nothing should be deducted.

With the older (token) meters, the situation is different. When the debt reaches 0 a technician would need to be sent out to reset the meter; it would not automatically calibrate itself.

In either case, when there is no longer arrears on an account, we would always recommend that a customer reverts back to a standard (credit) meter. Both aforementioned meters are designed to help clear debt, so once that debt is cleared, they should be removed.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

Hi Egan2012,

As RoundyMooney has corrected noted above, it depends on the type of meter you have installed.

With the newer (keypad) meters, for which you purchase a vend code, a certain percentage (currently 25%) is contributed towards your arrears each time you top-up. However, when you reach arrears of 0, you should be getting the full value of your vend code. You could think of it this way: if your arrears are at 0, 25% of 0 is still 0, so nothing should be deducted.

With the older (token) meters, the situation is different. When the debt reaches 0 a technician would need to be sent out to reset the meter; it would not automatically calibrate itself.

In either case, when there is no longer arrears on an account, we would always recommend that a customer reverts back to a standard (credit) meter. Both aforementioned meters are designed to help clear debt, so once that debt is cleared, they should be removed.

If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Hi David
    My arreers have been cleared and is still taking the 25%
    Who do I contact to go back to the normal meter ? Is there a way to stop it deducting the 25%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Egan2012,

Can you send us your account details by PM (use this link) so we can look into this further for you? Reverting to a standard 24hr meter shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
    David

• Advertisement
Advertisement