Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water has gotten into socket and theres crackling, burning and sparks

Options
  • 13-05-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Ok so I accidentally splashed water into a socket in the kitchen and there is a crackling sound, smell of burning and sparks coming from it for the past half hr. I have that socket switched off from the mains and its stopped but I'm still worried :eek: What should I do? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Ok so I accidentally splashed water into a socket in the kitchen and there is a crackling sound, smell of burning and sparks coming from it for the past half hr. I have that socket switched off from the mains and its stopped but I'm still worried :eek: What should I do? Any advice appreciated

Don't panic. Isolating the circuits at the distribution board is the correct course of action.

Call an electrician.
    A registered electrical contractor would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

You can either get someone over to fix it or:
    1. Get some electrical tape
    2. Switch plug off at mains
    3. Open the socket by r3moving the face (white plastic bit in the front)
    4. Isolate all the wires using electrical tape.
    5. put the cover back on
    6. Wait a couple of days until it dries and reverse the process

Hope that hepls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

isolate the socket from supply. disconnect and put in hotpress for the night upside down.hop it back on in the morn

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If I was fixing this I would:
    1) Isolate at the board
    2) Unscrew the sockets from the wall
    3) Dry them out with tissue, followed by a hair dryer
    4) Carry out insulation resistance test
    5) Providing it passes the test in 4 above refix sockets and switch on.

No big deal, all fixed within the hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

You can either get someone over to fix it or:
    1. Get some electrical tape
    2. Switch plug off at mains
    3. Open the socket by r3moving the face (white plastic bit in the front)
    4. Isolate all the wires using electrical tape.
    5. put the cover back on
    6. Wait a couple of days until it dries and reverse the process

Hope that hepls

Water is an accelerant. You've made no mention of checking cables for damage etc just wait for it to dry (naturally :rolleyes:) and switch it back on!

Dangerous advice Op. Get an electrician.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Thanks guys, have someone with a facetester (:confused:) opening it up now. Scared the crap out me! Thought the switch would have tripped though.

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated x

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Thanks guys, have someone with a facetester (:confused:) opening it up now.

If the phase tester resembles the photo below it is not a very safe way to confirm that the electrical supply is isolated. They are notoriously unreliable (have cause many an accident).

1-052_L.jpg

Water is an accelerant.
    I don't think so :)

accelerant |akˈselərənt|
    noun
    a substance used to aid the spread of fire: stolen accelerants could be used as firebombs.
    adjective
    accelerating or causing acceleration: accelerant factors for carcinoma.
    Get an electrician.
    I agree that this would be best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sounds like a fair achievement to splash enough water onto a socket to cause all that burning etc.

Id replace a socket that had the OP symptoms.

Advertisement