Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 years for killing one and almost killing another!!

Options
  • 13-05-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

A 32-year-old who killed a man by stabbing him seven times and assaulted another in Co Tipperary has been jailed for six years.
    Egidijus Kiaulakis, who is originally from Lithuania but lived at Coille Bheithe in Nenagh, admitted stabbing Gintaras Brazauskas on St Stephen's Day 2008, but said he acted in self-defence.
    A jury found him not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.
    He was also found guilty of stabbing Robertas Sujetovas on the same night and sentenced to four years.
    Both sentences will run concurrently.
    Full article:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0513/391971-six-year-sentence-for-fatal-nenagh-stabbing/

A few points:

1. How is it manslaughter considering he left the scene of the original altercation, went home to get a weapon and returned to kill the two men.
    2. WTF is it with Ireland and concurrent sentences! It ridiculous!
    Also:

Sentencing Kiaulakis, Mr Justice Paul Carney said he was taking into account the fact that he equipped himself with a knife and the effect the killing had on the victim's family, but also his plea to manslaughter.
    My arse he did!

I also heard mentioned on the news that foreign nationals receive special dispensation when it comes to prison terms! Once again what the hell is that about??

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 103 ✭✭newsunglasses

We shouldnt be giving foreigners special anything treat them all the same,and penalties should be tougher on crimes like this,he should have gotten the mandatory life sentence which only carries 14 years..

Better yet,make prisons more profitable,less entertainment ameneties and courses for them and off splitting rocks for 2 cent i say..

Prisons should work like your average sweatshop in china or india..**** them they didnt value the human rights of that other human being,why should we value theirs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

Is he claiming the dole though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

We can't afford to send people on longer sentences,we're just not told that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Attempted murder? Now honestly, what is that? Do they give a Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?

Maybe you should try harder..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Its the Irish way .
    I remember a case I was sitting in on a few years ago ,
    One male battered another and left him for dead, attacker went and got a slash hook and finished the victim off ,charged with manslaughter went to trial judge hands out suspended sentence ,attacker had a long history of violence ,
    This country is a joke scum get let off on sob stories and average Joe defends his home or family from an attack you get the book thrown at you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Better yet,make prisons more profitable,less entertainment ameneties and courses for them and off splitting rocks for 2 cent i say..

Prisons should work like your average sweatshop in china or india..**** them they didnt value the human rights of that other human being,why should we value theirs?

Really, all prisoners? So, murderers, rapists and people who don't pay TV licences should all be doing this?

Future Minister for Justice in the making here I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

He'll be out in half that, f**k that noise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Pilotdude5 wrote: »

Attempted murder in Ireland means he gave up on trying to kill the person and moved on

Really, all prisoners? So, murderers, rapists and people who don't pay TV licences should all be doing this?

A minister for justice....Should be about delivering justice for the victims of the slain.

I never once mentioned anything about tv license dodgers ..You came to that conclusion by yourself.

• Advertisement

Well maybe make the murderers and rapists do it for a few years more than mr tv licence?

Also, to be fair I don't think you get sent straight to jail for not paying your tv license..however if you do have a few 'minor' offences racked up then maybe a few weeks of hard labour might be enough to convince you to play by the same rules as everyone else and not to make up your own game.

A minister for justice....Should be about delivering justice for the victims of the slain.

I never once mentioned anything about tv license dodgers ..You came to that conclusion by yourself.

Actually, no I had a little help from your post...if you reread and see the part where you said prisons, not murderers in prison I'll think you'll have it. All kinds of people end up in prison. Some,like this guy I think should be in longer,some like TV licence dodgers I think should be doing something more useful...but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

bloody liberal judges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

life sentence which only carries 14 years

Currently running at 17 years.
    Gatling wrote: »
    average Joe defends his home or family from an attack you get the book thrown at you

You are perfectly entitled to defend your home with what ever force you deem reasonably necessary.

Actually, no I had a little help from your post...if you reread and see the part where you said prisons, not murderers in prison I'll think you'll have it. All kinds of people end up in prison. Some,like this guy I think should be in longer,some like TV licence dodgers I think should be doing something more useful...but that's just me.

My reply was in relation to the case..Scroll back to the first post.You are free to misread what i said for arguments sake.

I know what i was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The EU are already threatening us because of the conditions of our prisons. Can you imagine the amount of **** that would be thrown at us if we were to follow your advice? Or do economic sanctions and summonses to the Court of Human Rights not matter once we can sleep easy knowing that inmates are being treated like animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

The EU are already threatening us because of the conditions of our prisons. Can you imagine the amount of **** that would be thrown at us if we were to follow your advice? Or do economic sanctions and summonses to the Court of Human Rights not matter once we can sleep easy knowing that inmates are being treated like animals?

Treated Like animals? My animal
    Sleeps in a cage, is fed off the floor and has no choice in what menu it eats.

Seems we treat Murderers, pedophiles and rapists much better than the animals they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'd give him five years on top for having a name like that.

Maybe the EU and the Court of Human Rights should be more concerned about the living conditions of the ordinary decent law abiding citizens who have made bad financial choices during the boom and are now stuck with a life sentence of debt.

Treated Like animals? My animal
    Sleeps in a cage, is fed off the floor and has no choice in what menu it eats.

Seems we treat Murderers, pedophiles and rapists much better than the animals they are.

Yeah, I never said I agreed with the EU or any human rights groups... but it's how things are. And we're not exactly in the safest of waters to start rocking the boat right now.

Anyway with regard to the guy mentioned in the OP. He should serve his 6 years and then be put on the first plane back to Vilnius. I don't see why he should become the state's responsibility after release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mr Justice Paul Carney was involved so no surprise here

Fvck the EU,in the UK they recently said a guy(even though he had a string of convictions including rape of a minor ,aggravated burglary with sexual assault,theft and criminal damage,he was from nigeria) had a right to not be deported because he had a sprog off some stupid native.

If the UK wasnt in the EU they could have had him deported,and the authorities were acutally looking into deporting him,in the end the EU court of 'human rights' threw it out.

My point is why should we consider the human rights of these vicous murderers and rapists?When they certainly do not consider ours.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Violent criminals should be treated like animals. I don't care if they have to **** in a bucket, sleep in their own filth or eat their food off the floor. Prison should be a harsh, brutal and unforgiving environment. One that will give them nightmares for years to come, not a ****ing holiday camp with flat screen TVs and free education.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Mr Justice Paul Carney was involved so no surprise here

You realise he does most of the sentencing in the CCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Will he be deported on the day of his (early) release?

My reply was in relation to the case..Scroll back to the first post.You are free to misread what i said for arguments sake.

I know what i was referring to.

In your first post? Hmm yeah, kicks off with how bad that sentence is, no issue with that...then goes into how prisons (not this prison, not murderers/child abusers/fill in the blank) should all be labouring.

So yeah, I stand by my reading of it. Agree though that the sentence is a joke.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Violent criminals should be treated like animals. I don't care if they have to **** in a bucket, sleep in their own filth or eat their food off the floor. Prison should be a harsh, brutal and unforgiving environment. One that will give them nightmares for years to come, not a ****ing holiday camp with flat screen TVs and free education.

If you say so. I'd be inclined to go along with people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to incarceration and justice though... and the countless studies which show that the worse an inmate is treated, the worse they'll subsequently treat others and the less unlikely they'll be to actually give something back to society.

The bottom line is we need more prisons and less lenient sentences. Maybe then we wouldn't need to dream up all sorts of rough justice fantasies.

In your first post? Hmm yeah, kicks off with how bad that sentence is, no issue with that...then goes into how prisons (not this prison, not murderers/child abusers/fill in the blank) should all be labouring.

So yeah, I stand by my reading of it. Agree though that the sentence is a joke.
    You have interpeted it wrongly thats your problem tbh - your obviously doing it to get an argument.That is plain to see.

I have no issue with what i said,im not taking any of it back either.

Maybe your issue with me ,is that we differ in opinion,i would like to see harsher punishments for criminals,especially those who don't respect my human rights..

My argument is why should we respect the human rights of these people,if they clearly don't respect ours?

If you say so. I'd be inclined to go along with people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to incarceration and justice though... and the countless studies which show that the worse an inmate is treated, the worse they'll subsequently treat others and the less unlikely they'll be to actually give something back to society.

The bottom line is we need more prisons and less lenient sentences. Maybe then we wouldn't need to dream up all sorts of rough justice fantasies.

All this tough justice bollocks is actually counter productive. We need more prison spaces in open prisons at a fraction of the cost of somewhere like Mount Joy. We need sustainable, modern prisons and a complete overhaul of the CJS. The problem is it will never happen while people maintain this 'hang um high' attitude. I'm surprised Shatter has managed to push through the reforms he has tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Its a racist decision from the judge. I hope the deceased's family see fit to complain about the decision to their own media, They deserve to know the truth regarding how their citizens are viewed in Irish courts.

A local infamous junkie that once tried to jump me with a rock and who was well known to the courts here in Cork busted a bottle off an innocent Pole's head and only got 6 Yrs for Manslaughter too, Same cúnt had been abusing Guards here only days before when they were clearing addicts from the hedges and they ignored him.. Disgusted at that sentence I was.

Advertisement