Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual citizenship question

Options
  • 13-05-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am flying out of Australia (visa expiry) to New Zealand and intend using my Irish passport with which I entered Australia. I am staying in New Zealand for two nights to see a relative before flying to Las Vegas.

I want to enter the US with my US passport. Does that mean I need to fly to the US on my US passport or how does it work? Presumably if I enter NZ on Irish and exit on US it would appear to NZ immigration that I am still in country? I don't want to have any problem re-entering NZ in the future due to it appearing that I overstayed.

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

You can fly out of Nz on your Irish Passport no problem and enter the United States on your US one. The US government requires all US citizens who have dual nationally to enter on their US passports. Id show both passports when leaving in NZ just to be safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You should exit on the same passport you used to enter, otherwise they might think you never left if you entered on an Irish and left on a US passport or vice versa and this might cause problems should you seek to go back to New Zealand later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Well I know airlines pass on travel information to US immigration of travellers in advance so can I just swop and use my US passport on arrival?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,287 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jimmay wrote: »
    Well I know airlines pass on travel information to US immigration of travellers in advance so can I just swop and use my US passport on arrival?
    The airline pass on basic passenger details. Not detailed immigration/visa status of the departing country. I doubt the airline know what passport you are exiting on.

Just exit NZ on the passport you enter on (can be either).
    At US immigration. Get into the queue for US citizens (you aren't allowed to enter on irish one).
    There's nothing out of the ordinary there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You just need the exit stamp on the passport you entered on.

For US just use your US Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

doesn't the airline have to confirm you have the right to enter the country to where you're taking the flight?
    e.g. if you fly into Russia they have to check you have the relevant visa (unless you're Russian) and if you don't then I don't think they let you board. So if you are visiting Ireland with your Irish passport (and maybe have Russian citizenship and residency) and then returning to Russia, wouldn't you have to show your Russian passport to be allowed board the plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Gatica wrote: »
    doesn't the airline have to confirm you have the right to enter the country to where you're taking the flight?
    e.g. if you fly into Russia they have to check you have the relevant visa (unless you're Russian) and if you don't then I don't think they let you board. So if you are visiting Ireland with your Irish passport (and maybe have Russian citizenship and residency) and then returning to Russia, wouldn't you have to show your Russian passport to be allowed board the plane?

That's the Airline, not Border Control.
    Just show your US Passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

ah, d'uh... thanks for the clarification! forgot the two were different.

Advertisement