Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda vetting for kids fitnesss classes

• 13-05-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hoping someone could point me in the right direction!

Looking at doing fitness classes in September for children & have designed classes. I have some questions about Garda vetting:

1. Is it a legal requirement to be garda vetted? Is the Children & Vunerable persons Act 2012 now law?

2. Is it possible for an individual to get Garda Vetted? My own research has said no:-(. Is there any way I could get around this?

3. We kept a Spanish student last year & I filled out a Garda vetting form. When I rang the English college office(to check all was ok with form) I was told that headoffice had the form and they took it that all was "ok" unless headoffice came back to them with anything! Should I be entitled to get a copy of the form?

4. If I do obtain a copy would this cover me to run the classes in September?

Would appreciate some guidance on the matter thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

size5 wrote: »
    Hoping someone could point me in the right direction!

Looking at doing fitness classes in September for children & have designed classes. I have some questions about Garda vetting:

1. Is it a legal requirement to be garda vetted? Is the Children & Vunerable persons Act 2012 now law?

2. Is it possible for an individual to get Garda Vetted? My own research has said no:-(. Is there any way I could get around this?

3. We kept a Spanish student last year & I filled out a Garda vetting form. When I rang the English college office(to check all was ok with form) I was told that headoffice had the form and they took it that all was "ok" unless headoffice came back to them with anything! Should I be entitled to get a copy of the form?

4. If I do obtain a copy would this cover me to run the classes in September?

Would appreciate some guidance on the matter thanks in advance

My understanding is that an employer usually looks for it; are you working , for somebody? If not I can't see why a person would have to vet themselves, I could be wrong though.

Would you be entitled to do a FOI request and get you previous one that way. I have a copy of my own which came as part of a FOI request I made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Odysseus wrote: »
    My understanding is that an employer usually looks for it; are you working , for somebody? If not I can't see why a person would have to vet themselves, I could be wrong though.

Would you be entitled to do a FOI request and get you previous one that way. I have a copy of my own which came as part of a FOI request I made.
    Personally I would think that a self employed person would want to have a cert showing that they have been vetted by AGS if they are working with kids. Just in order to have something to show when parents ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 071_Foamer

Any one who has unsupervised access to minors needs to be vetted. IF there is a supervisor, that person needs to be vetted also.
    You need to be able to prove to the Gardaí that you are not a danger to children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

071_Foamer wrote: »
    Any one who has unsupervised access to minors needs to be vetted.

Where is the legal requirement for this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 071_Foamer

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/act/pub/0047/sec0012.html#sec12

Happy?

The op is operating an organisation offering services. He needs to prove he is not a danger to children.
    Child minders and baby sitters also need to prove same.

And rightly so. There has been to many scandals and failings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

071_Foamer wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/act/pub/0047/sec0012.html#sec12

Happy?

The op is operating an organisation offering services. He needs to prove he is not a danger to children.
    Child minders and baby sitters also need to prove same.

And rightly so. There has been to many scandals and failings/

At the start of that it states "a relevant organisation shall..." so does that mean it applies to a person like the OP?

Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

If you join Early Childhood Ireland you can organise Garda Vetting as part of your membership. I can't remember the price of membership but there are lots of plusses
    http://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

Personally I would think that a self employed person would want to have a cert showing that they have been vetted by AGS if they are working with kids. Just in order to have something to show when parents ask.

Cheers for the reply, can you tell me what you mean by "AGS"? though Iam sure it's obvious:-)

Many thanks for all the replies.

Clarify a points, yes I would be self employed. I was a personel Trainor for a while, then a Stay at home Dad. Going to back working, with kids fitness classes.

I will have a look at the earlychildhood.ie. with regard to getting vetted.

Am I correct in assuming that Q4 in my original post if I got the "vetting slip" from the organisation I would be covered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Cheers for the reply, can you tell me what you mean by "AGS"? though Iam sure it's obvious:-)
    An Garda Siochana

Clarify a points, yes I would be self employed. I was a personel Trainor for a while, then a Stay at home Dad. Going to back working, with kids fitness classes.

I will have a look at the earlychildhood.ie. with regard to getting vetted.

Am I correct in assuming that Q4 in my original post if I got the "vetting slip" from the organisation I would be covered?
    Not sure you need vetting being that you are a person rather than an organisation however I'm fairly sure that have a slip from another organisation doesn't cover you.

I know someone who had to be vetted separately for teaching in schools and for training a sports team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

No, unfortunately the situation is at the moment that you need to be individually vetted for each position. So, for example, you were working in Company A on Mondays, Company B on Tuesdays etc and Company E on Fridays, you would need to have each company submit a Garda Vetting form for you.

This is one of the reasons why it takes so long for Garda Vetting to be completed.

Having been involved in Garda Vetting for a number of years (not currently so I cannot help you directly, sorry) I always felt it would be so much easier if each person got a Garda Clearance Certificate that would be held on file and updated as needed and in any event once a year to certify that there were no new convictions etc. Anyone who needed one could just get a certified copy. It would save so much time.

Good luck with your new business.

Bicycle wrote: »
    No, unfortunately the situation is at the moment that you need to be individually vetted for each position. So, for example, you were working in Company A on Mondays, Company B on Tuesdays etc and Company E on Fridays, you would need to have each company submit a Garda Vetting form for you.

This is one of the reasons why it takes so long for Garda Vetting to be completed.

Having been involved in Garda Vetting for a number of years (not currently so I cannot help you directly, sorry) I always felt it would be so much easier if each person got a Garda Clearance Certificate that would be held on file and updated as needed and in any event once a year to certify that there were no new convictions etc. Anyone who needed one could just get a certified copy. It would save so much time.

Good luck with your new business.

The above hase cleared everything up for me many thanks

Advertisement