Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations on Red wine kits

Options
  • 13-05-2013 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

I'm coming to the end of my second beer kit brew and want to do a run of red wine next. I'm after a quality red that is the equivalent of something that would cost €12-20 in the supermarkets. I'm not in any particular rush to drink it, I can let it mature for a good 3 months before drinking it, quality, not speed, is the aim of the game.

Has anyone tried any of the DOC or the Magum Ultimate ranges ? At €30 and €40 respectively they seem like good value for 30 bottles. But I'm wondering can you only get real quality in the €50-60 range ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RATM wrote: »
    But I'm wondering can you only get real quality in the €50-60 range ?

I would imagine so tbh. 30 bottles at 1 euro a bottle doesn't add up to a 12 - 20 euro wine even after all the mark ups and time costs etc. I might splash out with my next wine kit and get the really high end ones (in the 80+ euro range). It's still ridiculously cheap per bottle and you're avoiding a heap load of tax. Obviously there's some effort involved, but feck it, I think we must actually love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Don’t mean to hijack the thread but I was thinking of doing a white wine kit for the missus and would like recommendations on the €40-€60 range, didn’t want to get a really cheap one and put her off. I was thinking about one of the Vintners Reserve 10 Litre kit for €56. Anybody ever try it out? She wouldn’t have mad expensive tastes in wine, maybe €6-€10 range when she buys in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

RATM wrote: »
    Has anyone tried any of the DOC or the Magum Ultimate ranges ?

Hiya,

I made the DOC red wine. Not particularly impressed though the result is drinkable. It tastes a wee bit sweet - as it it's not fully fermented - though I left it in the primary for 3 weeks and the secondary for a further two, and kept it between 18 and 20 pretty much all the time. Result on the hydro was just under 1000 though my hydro is a piece of s**t!!

I thought I was quite careful making it but maybe I made a balls of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Maybe I'm a philistine but I did one one of the Cantina whites for €42 and it tasted just fine to me. Couldn't tell it was home brew...But then I'm not a wine buff. :)

Im no wine buff wither but this tasted worse than the 5 euro Aldi red I compared it to

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    Im no wine buff wither but this tasted worse than the 5 euro Aldi red I compared it to

Which one, the Cantina whites?

It was a Doc cab sauv.

Update: Taste has improved considerably in the last week. It must have just been immature. It now tastes as good as a wine you would buy.

Sky King wrote: »
    Update: Taste has improved considerably in the last week. It must have just been immature. It now tastes as good as a wine you would buy.

Thats good, so about 6 weeks for it to become drinkable? Is it absolutely necessary to have a large fermenter and a drill degasser?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Like any wine you will need to pick the grape you want.

I have done the DOCs Merlot, I would not be a big Merlot fan as I find it sweet but I had the time and I knew my wife would like it. I have to say it turned out to be a very nice wine and after 6 weeks bottled it is much better. I would put it at about a 12-16 Euro bottle.

• Advertisement

Devi wrote: »
    Thats good, so about 6 weeks for it to become drinkable? Is it absolutely necessary to have a large fermenter and a drill degasser?

My fermenter is small and a 23L batch fills it pretty high so if you're buying one pay the extra few bob and get some headspace in it.

I borrowed a drill. I recommend it.

Primary 3 weeks
    Secondary 2 weeks (including finings etc)
    Then bottled.
    After 1 week in the bottle - quite rough
    After 2 weeks - drinkable
    After 3 weeks - getting much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

My second kit is currently on the go. The first was an Australian Blend Merlot, as it was my first time, i got a 7 day kit.

It took a LOT longer than 7 days, mainly due to the coolness of the room I was using.

Like Sky king it was a bit rough straight after bottling, 2-3 weeks in it was pretty drinkable.

I'll be looking for a more expensive kit soon, the California Conniseur ones look good.

I actually can't get over the difference a couple of weeks made tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

This makes me want to get back into home brew. Used to make a perfectly quaffable white wine in college, i think it was called Solomon Grundy. It only took a week, their slogan was something like 'Solomon Grundy, brewed on monday, drunk on sunday'. We were too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Just made two conisseiur 6 bottle kits, no drill needed and bottling didnt take long. Very impressed when i drank them at bottling yesterday (1month from start date). The thing about the conisseur 6 bottles is you dont add any sugar which is meant to be a much better wine (why bother wasting all that time for a few euro and get a crap wine)

Advertisement