Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal Fees for House selling/buying

• 13-05-2013 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I'm just wondering what are the average fees charged by solicitors for selling/buying a house? I know they vary but I would just like to have a rough idea how much is involved?
    Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I'm buying.

For the Solicitors professional fees I was quoted E900, E995 and E1250 all + 23%VAT.

Then you will have stamp duty @ 1% plus searches, land registry fees etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pheonix1234

Quite a variation of qoutes you got there. So thats just for buying, does that mean if you are selling AND buying the fee is doubled? Excuse my ignorance,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Depends on many factors. You may be given an upfront quote before the file/title is reviewed.

Depending on various title issues and whether it is a Land Registry of Registry of Deeds property, it may require first registration. All these will affect how much it will cost and the solicitor may charge over the quote if such things arise down the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Quite a variation of qoutes you got there. So thats just for buying, does that mean if you are selling AND buying the fee is doubled? Excuse my ignorance,

Yes, I think 3 or 4 of the quotes were 1250 and the other two the lower prices. I've never sold, but i presume you will have a bigger bill if you are selling and buying.
    Jev/N wrote: »
    Depends on many factors. You may be given an upfront quote before the file/title is reviewed.

Depending on various title issues and whether it is a Land Registry of Registry of Deeds property, it may require first registration. All these will affect how much it will cost and the solicitor may charge over the quote if such things arise down the line

yeah, a couple of solicitors mentioned this to me, for example if it was straightforward it would be the price quoted, but if it involved extra work about a right of way (for example) that was going to drag on then it would be more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pheonix1234

Jev/N wrote: »

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but what is the difference between Land Registry and Registry of Deeds property? I know my house is freehold, does that make it simpler? (as regards the solicitor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but what is the difference between Land Registry and Registry of Deeds property? I know my house is freehold, does that make it simpler? (as regards the solicitor)

No problem at all.

The two are forms of registration for property in Ireland. Land Registry is the newer form and the title to the property is State guaranteed. It is generally much simpler and more straightforward to deal with Land Registry.

Registration with the Land Registry is now mandated for all counties in Ireland upon transfer. If your property is only Registry of Deeds, First Registration will be required upon sale/purchase and there are fees to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 legalproblem

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on my poistion or who I should talk too. My wife is in serious financial difficulty mainly from a house she purchased before we got married, which is currently our home. She also has another house which is mortgaged but its worth very little but I have enough money now to pay off the mortgage. I want to buy the house from my wife to allow her to pay off the mortgage and to allow me and my kids have a home. Will the bank look badly on her selling it to me even if we exchange for market value and the money is put towards paying off the debt on the house? If you can't answer the question where can I go to get an answer. I don't want to do anything that isn't totally above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on my poistion or who I should talk too. My wife is in serious financial difficulty mainly from a house she purchased before we got married, which is currently our home. She also has another house which is mortgaged but its worth very little but I have enough money now to pay off the mortgage. I want to buy the house from my wife to allow her to pay off the mortgage and to allow me and my kids have a home. Will the bank look badly on her selling it to me even if we exchange for market value and the money is put towards paying off the debt on the house? If you can't answer the question where can I go to get an answer. I don't want to do anything that isn't totally above board.

Assuming that the property is in negative equity, the bank would have to consent to the sale going ahead. If they don't consent, there will be no sale. If they consent, then one would think that there is no problem.

I am working from an assumption that your wife is insolvent; that she cannot pay her debts as they fall due. As regards a strategic financial solution, the Personal Insolvency Act provides for a new type of professional advisor/representative; the the Personal Insolvency Practitioner (PIP). When the PIPs are brought in, one may be able to advise your wife and negotiate with the bank for a Personal Insolvency Arrangement.

Advertisement