Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychiatric Nursing Question

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but I just wanted to enquire about psychiatric nursing in Trinity.

I'm planning on applying to study this degree next year. I'm currently completing a Fetac award in healthcare, and I'm on course for 8 distinctions.
    From viewing the Trinity website, the points are 212, so I also have the points required. I'm also studying aptitude books to prepare for the exam, and I'm currently working with the Irish Wheelchair Association.

I was thinking of doing some volunteer work to help boost my application - I was wondering does anyone have any advice on were to volunteer, or any other advice for boosting an application? I would greatly appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

The points for mature nursing on the website usually refer to the points score from the Assessment test only.
    The Leaving Cert points were 395 and there's a new points structure for FETAC under the Common Awards System which has been introduced this year so that's still a bit up in the air. The max points you can now get with a FETAC award is 400. I've attached an info sheet below.

Regarding the assessment test the Nursing Careers Center do a handy little booklet that goes through the application process for all categories of applicant across all types of nursing. I've attached it also.

Practical experience in a nursing settings is important so you can do well in the Job Simulation section of the assessment test so the more you have of that the better.
    As the interview component of the assessment process for mature nursing is gone it really does come down to getting a good score in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BlackYogurt

Thank you for this information, paperclip. I was wondering why the points was so low, but it now makes sense.

It really does seem that entry is very much based on the aptitude test - i'm not quite sure will my Fetac mean anything, that is if I get 8 distinctions, will it aid my application? Trinity says it will only take this into consideration in a single setting. Would it be to my benefit if I took up a different course that would be in a single setting i.e. health science (pre-nursing), that would start in September, and end in May, or should i just stick with the course I am doing now? Can you be doing the award and apply as a fetac student on the CAO, or do you actually have to have the award already?

If you're going the Mature Student route the PLC course will help in the sense of having an insight into the healthcare area as well as giving you experience in an academic setting which should be some help with the verbal and numerical aspects of the assessment test. As the interview aspect of the assessment process has been removed there is limited scope for highlighting what you learned from the PLC outside of the test itself.

Regarding the FETAC links scheme, TCD has about 7 places in total reserved for FETAC applicants across all of their Nursing programmes. Details on how they score the FETAC awards are here: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/fetac/

You would need to have completed the FETAC course in a single year. If there there are more applicants than nursing places available, random selection may apply.

I understand. I think it may be of some benefit, particularly when I am filling out the life experience on the CAO, along with the work I am doing now. If I had of known this, I would have done a course that was done in a single year.

Is it worth still applying for it next year? I mean, can a successful result in the aptitide test, and a good application with relevant work/life experience still give me a chance?

I'm going to be dissecting this:

http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/psychotests.htm

and get a copy of the byron book and practice,practice,practice.

Getting a good score on the assessment test is your best chance of a place so practicing the verbal and numerical tests is a good idea. Put some time into thinking about the work placements as this is what will be the basis for a lot of your answer in the Job Simulation Exercise.

The JSE measures a range of skills and qualities required in the Student Nurse role, ranging from taking care of someone, through to taking responsibility in a situation.

Practical work experience also gives you an insight into the personal qualities and attributes that are need for nursing and this is the basis for the personality section of the assessment.

• Advertisement

With regards work experience, is there any specific departments/organisations you recommend? My work with the I.W.A. does cover what you mentioned, and i'll be doing a work placement in St. Joseph's hospital as part of my course, but i'd like to get some volunteer work in order to be fully prepared for the JSE.

Some people have said to me that direct nursing experience was the most useful, for example a placement on wards or as a care attendant in a hospital. You've already got this covered :)

Yes, I guess participating the course that I am on now will have some benefit - the work placement could be great for the JSE.

I noticed St. James's are doing a volunteer program now, so I will apply for this, too.

http://www.stjames.ie/Departments/DepartmentsA-Z/H/HumanResources/DepartmentOverview/

I don't suppose it would be possible to shadow a psychiatric nurse, would it?

You've been extremely helpful, fully understand why you are the moderator. :)

I noticed St. James's are doing a volunteer program now, so I will apply for this, too.

http://www.stjames.ie/Departments/DepartmentsA-Z/H/HumanResources/DepartmentOverview/

Good idea. :)
    I don't suppose it would be possible to shadow a psychiatric nurse, would it?

It might be but it could come down to contacts. Would your course tutors be able to help?
    You've been extremely helpful, fully understand why you are the moderator. :)

Aww shucks. Now I'm blushing. And you're welcome. :)

Advertisement