Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking to get an external HDD and was wondering what do i need to look for if I want it to handle files bigger than 5GB, my current HDD doesn't allow me to put files larger than 5GB on it.

I assume its a specific format I'm looking for is it?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Maybe you've just run out of space on your existing hard drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Maybe you've just run out of space on your existing hard drive?

No Its an empty drive, I get an error, I can't remember it exactly but its a limitation of the specific formatting of the drive and formatting of that type

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Formatted to NTFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Can depend on how the drive is formatted. Sounds like your drive is formatted as FAT, which is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB. You can change it to FAT32 or NTFS. If you right click on the drive in Windows Explorer and select "Properties" it will tell you which file system the drive was formatted with.

You can convert FAT to NTFS without data loss. Try Google .

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Like above posters said the drive is formatted as FAT32 which has a file size limit of about 4.3GB

You can reformat the drive but it will delete everything so be sure to back it up first.

When you have backed your files up go to Computer
    Right click on the external hard drive letter and click format.
    Make sure NTFS is selected and format the drive.
    Copy your files back and thats it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement