Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Upside down training last night and this morning followed by the usual hanging and did some overhead squats for a change, nothing fancy.

Warm up - lots

Took the 10 min wall run test this morning.

20 sets x 30seconds, 1min rest in-between. Took a 3 minute rest at the half way mark. At the half way point I didn't think I'd finish so delighted got through it.

Finished with some passive hangs and stretching to loosen out the shoulders.

Usual handstand sess this morning.

Was doing my strength assistance stuff and felt like lifting something heavy, had 15mins to go so warmed up my deadlift. Worked up to 150kg double OH grip with no chalk (that's about the limit of my grip, at 76kgs bw)

Chalked up
    160kg x 1 matches previous 1rm double oh.
    Switched to mixed grip
    165kg x 1 - New 1rm - came up quicker than expected. Was in a hurry so quickly changed the plates for 170kg. Got it to knees but wasn't budging. Would have prob gotten it if I had a proper rest in between. Anyway nice to know strength is still there and assistance stuff is working. Haven't lifted heavy conventional DL's in 2 months. Have only been doing lightish RDL's and some hip thrusters.

Trained Friday and Sat as usual.

Sat night at 1.30am after a feed of drink I did Bring Sally up challenge with active hangs and passive/relaxed hangs. Got sent the recording this morning.

Song length was 3:24, I hung on till 3:21. 2 others did it with me but I was hanging along for over 90 seconds. Sickener dropping 3 seconds from the end.

This morning was horrible

Warm up

A.) HS conditioning 50mins

B1.) OH squat 3x5 15kgs
    B2.) retract/depress scapula arch hangs x 20 seconds.

C1.) wide goblet squat 3x10 x 12kgs (hate these)
    C2.) floor pu archer slides (hate these even more) only did 4. No energy.

D1.) Y's x 30 seconds x 0.5kg.
    D2.) elbow tendon leans x 30seconds
    D3.) I's x 20 seconds x 0.5kg. (Drop to 0.25). (Add rounds next time)

Got another handstand session in today with some weighted stretching afterwards.

• Advertisement

A.) 50 mins handstand conditioning.

B1.) snatch grip dl x 55kg 3x8 (finding my grip width and working on technique)
    B2.) Cuban Rotation x 7.5kg bar 2x10 (nice addition)

C1.) hip thrusters 80 or 90 kg (can't remember) x 2x8
    C2.) single arm row 24kg x 2 x 6

D.) single leg glute bridge holding a 20kg kettlebell on my hip x 2x10

(More sets next week)

Warm up

B1.) OH squat 3x5 25kgs
    B2.) retract/depress scapula arch hangs 3 x 25 seconds.

C1.) wide goblet squat 3x12 x 12kgs (6 steps next)
    C2.) floor pu archer slides (managed 3 x 5 today)

2 rounds (3 rounds next, keep times)
    D1.) Y's x 35 seconds x 0.5kg.
    D2.) elbow tendon reps x 30 x 2kgs
    D3.) I's x 25 seconds x 0.25kg

Upper back on fire after that.

Warm up

B1.) OH squat 3x5 30kgs
    B2.) retract/depress scapula arch hangs 4 x 25 seconds.

C1.) wide goblet squat 3x10 x 16kgs (6 steps- horrible)
    C2.) floor pu archer slides 10, 8, 4.

1 round, had to rush off to work. Will do other 2 rounds at home.
    D1.) Y's x 35 seconds x 0.5kg.
    D2.) elbow tendon reps x 30 x 2kgs
    D3.) I's x 25 seconds x 0.25kg

A.) 50 mins handstand conditioning.

B1.) snatch grip dl x 60kg 3x8
    B2.) Cuban Rotation x 7.5kg bar 3x15

C1.) hip thrusters 90 kg 3x8
    C2.) single arm row 24kg x 2 x 8

D.) single leg glute bridge 20kg kettlebell on hip x 3x12.

B1.) OH squat 3x5 35kgs
    B2.) retract/depress scapula arch hangs 4 x 30 seconds.

C1.) wide goblet squat 3x10 x 16kgs + 20s hold on last rep
    C2.) floor pu archer slides

3 rounds
    D1.) Y's x 40 seconds x 0.5kg.
    D2.) elbow tendon reps x 30 x 2.5kgs
    D3.) I's x 30 seconds x 0.25kg

• Advertisement

Savage session today with Emmet from Physiculture. Excellent coach, very knowledgeable and more than willing to share. Learnt loads and some knew ways to torture myself.

Monday - forgot to log.

This morning - shattered from work yesterday.

A.) Handstand did a bit- supersetting with lat stretch, curtesy of Emmet.

B1.) snatch grip dl x 70kg 3x8
    B2.) Cuban Rotation x 9kg 15, 15 then decided to test my max to see where it's at. 22kg x 2. Happy enough since I've only added these recently. I remember a month or so ago I was messing around and I think my max was around 12kg.(Strick of course).

C.) single leg hip thrusters 40 kg 2x8 (these are horrible single leg so I guess that means their staying)

Gave up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This Log:

Cons - I almost always have to Google one of the exercises.

Pros - Learning gainz.

Might add in something like that for my shoulders, just to mix it up every now and then.

I'm a big fan of hitting the smaller muscles of the back or anything to do with the scapula in general has great carryover to almost everything.

Ant11 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of hitting the smaller muscles of the back or anything to do with the scapula in general has great carryover to almost everything.

I've had rotator cuff issues so I try and get in some external rotations, lying on my side, and some YTWLIs and they're fine. But sometimes something a bit different just makes it all the more interesting.

I've had rotator cuff issues so I try and get in some external rotations, lying on my side, and some YTWLIs and they're fine. But sometimes something a bit different just makes it all the more interesting.

Cubans are definitely interesting. The arched scapula hangs I do are great as well. Works everything keeping the scapula depressed, retracted and has made my deadlift stronger without training it.

Cubans are definitely interesting. The arched scapula hangs I do are great as well. Works everything keeping the scapula depressed, retracted and has made my deadlift stronger without training it.

To the Google machine! :)

Ah...I see. And I'd call an active hang a sort of scap pull up. So I kinda knew...

To the Google machine! :)

Ah...I see. And I'd call an active hang a sort of scap pull up. So I kinda knew...

It's a straight arm hang, a lot of people do it wrong or struggle to keep their elbows straight or can't hold the retraction. I sometimes keep the retraction and do a chest to bar pull up. A lot harder than regular pull. From what I seen on Facebook It's all the rage now with Ido's hanging month. I'm not slagging as I indirectly got it from him about a year ago (so credit where it's due) and have used hanging in my training on n off. Very beneficial for straight arm strength.

The usual on Friday and 2 hours of loaded progressive stretching this morning. Body feels great after it. A lot easier having a second person there to assist.

19/5/14

Disclocates same distance 36", goal is 24" but I'd settle for 26".

iM1 has improved 2 inches each side. Needs to move 6" more e/s to progress.

Inlocates - heartbreaking.

8/9/14

Got lazy with my weighted shoulder dislocates. Started back 2 weeks ago with a different perspective on how to do them. Tonight I'm officially 1 inch away (either side) from the goal width. It's only with 1.1kg, requirement is minimum 2.5kgs but I'm absolutely delighted with that progress.

• Advertisement

Trained all week but never got round to logging. More of the same stuff with the addition of the Cossack squat, single leg lying leg curls with resistance bands and BB step ups for VMO.

Cossack squat is a love hate relationship at the moment. I do it against the wall for a bit of support. Another weakness that I was aware of but put on the long finger. Have noticed improvements already so hoping to rectify it shortly.

I've been picking off weaknesses the last while and thankfully it's starting to pay off. Haven't really done any heavy numbers lately, strength hasn't been affected, pulling strength is probably up.

Was leaving training yesterday and asked did I know how to do bar muscle ups, off with the jacket and knocked out a few handy reps. I'm a big believer that strength will always be there if the right technique is ingrained correctly.

Did a small bit of loaded stretching this morning.

8/9/14

Got lazy with my weighted shoulder dislocates. Started back 2 weeks ago with a different perspective on how to do them. Tonight I'm officially 1 inch away (either side) from the goal width. It's only with 1.1kg, requirement is minimum 2.5kgs but I'm absolutely delighted with that progress.

17/9/14

Boom! Got my shoulder disclocates goal width of 26 inches gap between my hands tonight. Was only with 1kg fraction plate but super progress in 3 week. Think I moved 8 inches. Need to build up to a consistent set of 5 reps before I increase weight. Chest raising a bit much too so want to get the under control more. Will keep tipping away for the moment.

Anatomy in Motion session this morning with Dave Hedges. Amazing stuff.

I was told my training lately looks like I walk around and stretch in weird positions. Technically their right. Have been doing a lot of loaded stretching as a little experiment on myself to see what happens. Plan on keeping it up until the end of November until Yval on Hands workshop in Dundalk. Not really lifting any weights bar the kettle bells I'm using for the loaded stretches/movements and doing some cuban rotations and a bit trap 3 work. Still doing bits of HS work. Interesting progress so far, hopefully it continues. No real need to log as I've made it very specific so I can track sets/reps in my head.

Advertisement