Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

You could also try other dynamic leg movements. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0

Or single leg dl's into pistols etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

ferike1 wrote: »
    You could also try other dynamic leg movements. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwG2hqnOx0

Or single leg dl's into pistols etc.

I thought you were specifically talking about jumping. I do one or 2 or those dynamic squat stretches but that vid has given me some food for though to add into my hip mobility. Cheers.

Yeah will definitely be doing pistols, need to work on my balance.

Single leg dl into a pistol would be a challenge.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking back squat, front squat, pistols, rdl's, single leg dl's and split squats or bulgarians. Just have to work out sets/reps and make sure its balanced quad:hip.

Warm up

1A.) Pull ups X 0241(timing)
    Wide 7, normal 7, close 7. Then 6,6,6.
    1B.) dragon flags, pistol squat balance work

2.) front lever tuck holds

3.) scap raise holds

4.) scap raise pull ups 5,5,5

5. ) chin ups X 0241 - 7,7,6,5

6. ) core work, leg raises, knee raises, windshield wipers

warm up

A) Weighed Dips
    BW x 15
    BW + 20kg x 10
    BW + 45kg x 3 sets of 6.

First set is still fairly ok, could do more. 2nd set was tough but got it. 3rd set was a killer, on the 6th rep the push felt like it took so long to get up. At the halfway stage I think I was paused having a mental battle telling myself just to keep pushing, delighted I got it:D

B) Slow diamond push ups - as to be expected I found these very tough after the dips

C) Front tuck planche holds on and a few tuck planche press ups on the dip bars.

D) Slow psuedo planche push ups
    8, 6, 6, 5, 2, dead after that.

I left out my DB raises at the start as I don't want it to hinder my dips. I already tried moving it to my pull day but takes up too much time with everything else. Gona move it to leg day, which I'll be starting tomorrow and see if I can fit it in there.

Also after reading a post on Hanley's log today, it got me thinking about my own issues with the pistol squat. I struggle with balance and probably some mobility too, which I've been working on. I never actually tried a weighted pistol so I had a go at the end of my session. I tried 2.5kg but still fell over. 5kg was better but still sloppy. 10kg did the job and I was able to pistol correctly with both legs.

So now I'm thinking, do I start doing weighted pistols and keep working on my mobility or keep working on an unweighted pistol until I get it. Or do all of the above, keep up the mobility work, unweighted practice and do weighted pistols too.:confused:

You shouldn't have said that. Any minute he'll be in here with his IDIBISHDI...lol

I think he gets a tingle everytime his name is mentioned on the net. It's like a spider sense.

• Advertisement

Took it handy today. Going to ease myself into the higher volume leg work coz I know my hamstrings are gona be in bits.

Back squat 60kg 4 sets of 8.

Assisted pistol squat 3 sets of 8.

Single leg DL 5kg 2 sets of 10.

Split squats 40kg 4 sets of 6.

Calf programme A.

Keeping my balance was tough for the single leg dl and split squats.

Walked Howth head yesterday. Think it helped because it was sore to sit down when I woke up.

Did lots of foam rolling and sitting on a lacrosse ball too.

Today

Warm up

Front squat 40kg x 4 sets of 12.

Weight was easy but very sore on my wrists. I though my wrists would be fine since I do a lot of wrist mobility and calisthenics moves that put a lot of pressure on my wrists. I tried the cross grip bit don't like it at all. I may have to knock the front squat on the head unless I can find something more comfortable. Only other thing I can think of is, I may unsubconsciously be leaning slightly forward which would explain the added pressure on my wrists.

RDL's 40kg x 3 sets of 12.

Single leg extension 10kg 3 sets of 10 with 5 second negative. Like these.

Leg press 70kg 2 sets of 12, 10 sec rest. Only did these coz I didn't feel the front squat worked my legs enough.

Leg curl (the one you kneel on)- I find these so hard especially my left hammy. 5kg by 2 sets of 12.

Calf programme B. alternated legs, without rest.

My plan was to do a leg day. Had to do loads of stretching, rolling and mobility work during my warm up coz my hammy were in bits all weekend.

Sh1t session though, not even worth logging. Couldn't go the gym at my normal time 6:30am so went around 4 o'clock. What a disaster, hate going at this time but didn't want to miss training. Seems this is the time that you get a group of lads standing around hogging the squat rack talking about how much they can half squat. Does my head in. I've no trouble waiting for the squat rack if someone is actually squatting.

Got pissed off waiting so did some pistols with 10kg and a pause at the bottom to practice my balance. Did a load of other random leg stuff and some muscle ups.

The leg stuff seems to have helped my hammys as their not as sore now. Roll on tomorrow back to the morning sessions.

Warm up

Weighted Dips

Bw x 15
    Bw + 20kgs x 10
    Bw + 47.5 kgs (total weight is around 124kg including my Bw n dip belt). Was aiming to get my usual 3 sets of 6. Got 6, 5, 4. That extra 2.5kg felt a lot heavier than last week. Was a bit pissed off I didn't get 3 x6 so I did bw +20kgs x 22 as punishment :).

Had a good run out the 3x6, going to lower the reps and up the weight. Still plan on hitting a 2xbw dip for 1rm in the next few months. When I work out the total weight (will be between 150kg - 155 I reckon) it seems optimistic but I reckon I can do it.

1 leg Psuedo planche push ups x 8 superset with 1 leg front lever holds and scap raises

4 ^ rounds

Diamond push ups superset with core stuff. Lost count, by the time I'd finished I couldn't do 1 rep.

More core and lower back stuff to finish and some wrist mobility stuff.

Good session, enjoyed it.

This morning.

Back squat 70kg 4 sets of 10.

Pistol squat with 10kg 3 sets of 6.

Single leg DL 5kg 3 sets of 12.

BB Split squats 40kg 4 sets of 8.

Calf programme.

The weighted pistols are v tough after squatting. I might swap them for the front squat and work on getting higher reps.

Handstand routine planned for this evening.

• Advertisement

In a rush this morning. Had no time to wait for squat rack for front squats so did pistols instead.

Very little rest throughout.

Pistol squat 3 sets of 8 with 10kgs
    Low bar muscle ups 5,4,4,3.

RDL's 45kg x 3 sets of 12.

Single leg extension 10kg 3 sets of 12.

Leg press 80kg 2 sets of 12.

Leg curl 5kg by 3 sets of 10.

Calf programme.

Down in Cork now for a week of volunteer work. Brought my pull up bar and paralettes and a bag full of cooked food.

Been doing bw training but havent been logging as its fairly sporadic. Doing volunteer work with a youth camp for a week in Cork so my days are spent running around after kids.

Meet a 6 year old girl today who made a show of me, made my handstand progress look so minuscule. She was even correcting me :). I did a L-sit off the ground to show her I wasn't totally useless and what does she do but L-sit beside me and hold it as if was nothing. It took me about 2 months to get a proper ground L-sit and she does it straight away. Then she does a straddle L-sit with her hands in between her legs. Turns out she does gymnastics. So jealous of what she can do.

This morning

Warm up

Back squat 75kg 4 sets of 10.

Single leg DL 7.5kg 3 sets of 12.

BB Split squats 40kg 4 sets of 10.

Leg ext each leg 12.5kg x 2 x 15.

Was good to be back in the gym. Also played about 4 hours of football today too.

The last week was a disaster.. After the week in Cork I was asked to help at a youth club in Dublin so I ended up living with a loads of teenagers for a week. Played football with them on Monday which caused my knee to swell up full of fluid. Was a reminder of why I stopped playing football. the fluid restricted my ROM and I couldn't even sit comfortably into a bw squat. So I spent the rest of the week working on my ROM and waiting for the fluid to go down. Did the odd bit of bw training when I could fit it in.

This morning - gym

Mostly lower body mobility work and some light leg weights just to see how my knee was. Prob could of done this at home but wanted to get back into my routine.

This afternoon - Home

warm up/prep/conditioning.
    -shoulder
    -scap
    -lower back
    -wrists

A.) Wall handstand - back (rest 60 sec)
    20 seconds x 4 sets

B.) Wall handstand - belly (rest 60)
    20 seconds x 4 sets

C.) wall handstand kicks - back (rest 60)
    5 reps x 4 sets ( 5 - 10 sec holds)

D.) HSPU's - back (rest 90) - 5,5,3,3. ( focused on form). Form has improved a lot and my legs are becoming free off the wall on the push back up.

E.) Pike push ups (rest 60) - 10, 8, 6.

This morning

Warm up

A.) Muscle ups 5,4,4,4,3.

B.) Weighted pull ups
    Bw x 15
    Bw + 10kg x 3 sets of 8.

C.) 1 leg front lever holds and scap holds.

D.) weighted chin ups
    Bw + 10kg x 3 sets of 8.

Few close grip L-sit pull ups and some core work to finish.

Leg day suck without squats

This morning

Lots of mobility. ROM is nearly back to normal. Left knee still a bit sore sitting in pistol position but at least I can sit into a squat position now. Fluid is nearly gone, might try squat on Friday.

Did some split squats, curls, press, single leg dl's n calves. No point logging.

Did some pull ups and muscles up to finish.

This afternoon - Home

warm up/prep/conditioning.
    -shoulder
    -scap
    -lower back
    -wrists

A.) Wall handstand - back (rest 60 sec)
    30 seconds x 4 sets

B.) Wall handstand - belly (rest 60)
    4 sets - 30, 25, 20, 20. Find stomach to wall a lot harder than back.

C.) wall handstand kicks - belly (rest 60)
    3 reps x 3 sets (10 sec holds)

D.) HSPU's - belly (rest 90) - 5,3,3.

E.) Wall walks 2 sets x 3 reps.

So my day went like this - Woke up, gym, food, nap, food, handstand training, food, cup of tea&tv, back to bed tonight.

Enjoying it while i can, don't get to do that everyday.

This morning - gym

Back squatting this morning, wasn't 100% comfortable, knee is still a bit tight so took it easy. Did normal leg stuff after that. Hopefully things are back to normal on Monday.

Weighted dips BW + 50kgs 4 sets of 3.

This afternoon - Handstand routine.

A.) Wall handstand - back
    30 seconds x 4 sets

B.) Wall handstand - belly
    25 seconds x 4 sets

C.) handstand wall kicks - back
    5 reps x 4 sets

D.) HSPU's on paralettes - (back) 5, 4,4,3.

E.) Pike push ups 10,8,8.

This morning.

1/2 hour mobility.

Back squat 80 x 3 x 8.

BB split squats 60 x 3 x 6.

Single leg dl's 10 x 3 x 12.

Leg ext 12.5 x 4 x 15.

Calves.

This evening

Usual warm up.

A.) Wall handstand - back
    30 seconds x 4 sets

B.) Wall handstand - belly
    30, 30, 25, 20.

C.) handstand wall kicks - back

D.) HSPU's (back) 5,5,3,3,2.

E.) Pike push ups 3x10.

How are the freestanding handstands coming?

ferike1 wrote: »
    How are the freestanding handstands coming?

It's a frustrating beast but getting better. The repetition has helped. I've put more emphasis on warm up, scap/shoulder/wrist/lower back prep and conditioning, which I think has been key.

I'm using LittleBeastm handstand program on leg days and trying to do his planche/lever program on other 2 days. Bit awkward for me though as I don't have access to proper bars/rings so I've to modify the program to suit.

• Advertisement

Handstand training again tonight. I'm going on a stags on Friday so making up the session now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Any tips for bar muscle-ups? I think my strength is there but I just can't get up over the bar.

Sangre wrote: »
    Any tips for bar muscle-ups? I think my strength is there but I just can't get up over the bar.

Yeah I would agree its prob a technique thing more then strength.

What helped me was high/explosive pull ups. Getting the chest up over the bar as high as you can. Do 1 or 2 reps, rest and repeat.

Negatives are also very good. Starting on top of the bar and lowering yourself slowly. Al Kavadlo shows you in the link below. I didn't do negatives that much though as I found that part easy but I would recommend it, to get a feel for it and see what your strength/control is like in that position. You'll know yourself when doing it if you need to work on it or not.

My biggest problem was actually the kip. I just couldn't get my head around it, how to use my hips properly and it's something I think I overlooked when practicing so I would advise playing around with the kip just to get used to the movement. Over time you can reduce it. If your like me and don't work on the kip I think it causes you to do the uneven muscle up where one arm comes up before the other. This is a terrible habit. I had myself driven mad wondering why I kept doing this. Thankfully I figured it out :)

I'd also record yourself. I was watching a vid of a lad I know practicing his muscle ups and straight away I could see what he was doing wrong. After I explained it, he was able to make a few slight changes and it made a big difference to his practice. OH that reminds me another VERY important point, don't engage your biceps before you pull, your pulling power comes from your back.

Another thing you could try is to get on top of the bar and swing down and see if you can do a muscle up back up. A good swing will give you enough momentum to get up. You could also try a band assisted muscle up. Start on top of the bar and swing into the band and it will help spring you up. I never used it when I was practicing but myself and Ferike1 got one of the Paddy's Bars lads to use the purple band and he was able to do muscle ups after a while. He's still working on getting it without the band but I think the band helped him understand the movement. Again it's just something different to try to get used to the movement. As I said its prob more technique then strength at this stage.

Any other Q's just let me know or post up a vid if you have one. It's worth it in the end so keep at it.

Here's Al Kavadlo's link, I think it's a good read.

http://www.alkavadlo.com/2013/07/22/clean-up-your-muscle-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Wow, thanks Ant very helpful.

With the long evenings I've started trying to job c. 2 a week on top of resistance training which I finish up in a park with a pull-up bar. Will use this opportunity to try and work on them then. For last week or two I had been focusing on explosive/chest to bar pull ups.

I have a load of bands at home so will definitely give them a try as well to get a rhythm going with them.

This morning - gym

today was leg day but decided to swap it for tomorrow as I'm planning on going to Ballyfermot Thursday evening, plus my glutes/hams are in agony trying to sit on foam roller.

A.) Muscle ups - 8 (new Pr), 5,4,3 and for a laugh I decided to add 5kg to my belt to see if I could do it. I got 1 solid rep and the 2nd rep I got over the bar at a struggle. Did 2 more unweighted reps after that.

B.) weighted pull ups
    BW +10kgs x 5x5 - decided I'm gona stick to the 5x5 for a while and work on strength, which should help improve the muscle ups too.

C.) close grip L-sit pull ups 3x8.

D.) front lever swings and 1 leg front lever holds. Thinking of moving these to push day as I'd no energy left to engage my scap properly.

This evening

Shortened my handstand routine today as my shoulders were tired after the warm up/cond and my elbow is starting to get a bit sore.

Did Handstand balance work against the wall and kicked into freestanding, which were surprisingly very good. 4 rounds.

Moved straight onto HSPU's on the parallettes, 5,3,3.

Pike push ups 5,5,5.

that was enough.

This morning

warm up

Assisted pistol squats. - full ROM isn't back yet for the weighted pistols I was doing.

RDL's 50kg x 3 sets of 12.

Leg press 80kg 3 sets of 10.

Leg curl 5kg by 3 sets of 12.

Single leg extension 10kg 3 sets of 15.

Calf programme.

Warm up

A.) Weighted Dips
    BW x 15
    + 20kg x 10
    + 50kg x 4 sets of 3.

B.) Tuck planche holds

C.) Tuck planche push ups 4,4,4

D.) elevated pseudo planche push ups 8,8,8,6.

E.) Not sure of the name of these so I'm gona call them 1-arm lever push ups. Feet together, push up with one hand and the other hand is extended full to the side.

Alternated 5 each side. 2 sets.

Off to Cardiff today for a Stags.

Drink is the devil. Got home from the Stags Sunday night, spent all day yesterday in the foetal position.

Horrible session, no energy, no strength, everything was hard. Felt 10 times better after it though.

Warm up

A.) muscle ups 4,4,4. That's all I could manage.

B.) dead hang weighted pull ups - bw + 11.5kgs
    5,5,5,4,3 - horrible.

C.) attempted normal bw pulls up - managed a couple

D.) core stuff - whatever.

Trained yesterday but never got round to logging.

Today.

Warm up

A.) Weighted Dips
    BW x 15
    + 15kg x 10
    + 50kg x 5 sets of 3.

B.) Tuck planche holds

C.) Tuck planche push ups 5,5,5

D.) elevated pseudo planche push ups 10,10,8,6,6.

E.) 1-arm lever push ups. Alternated 5 each side. 3 sets.

F.) few diamond push ups.

• Advertisement

Warm up

A.) Squat 70kgs 4 sets of 10 reps.

B.) Split squats 60kg 2x8

C.) SingleLeg DL 12.5 x 3 x 12

Felt like **** from the start and was feeling dizzy after the splits so left it at that. Having a bad week don't know what's wrong with me.

Handstand training later if I'm up for it.

Advertisement