Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Had the worst doms I've ever had in my glutes yesterday, still not gone.

Lots of foam rolling and hockey ball. Did some bw squats and sissy squats to get the blood flowing.

Usual handstand warm up n prep stuff.

A&B.) Wall handstand - back and front
    30 seconds x 4 sets each

C.) handstand wall kicks - back

D.) HSPU's (back) 5,4,3,2. Nearly got 1 rep completely freestanding but got too excited and fell over. What a sap.

E.) Pike push ups 3x10.

Bit of a random session this morning, weighted pulls etc.

Have to sit down today and work out how I'm gona move things around to fit in everything I wana do. Handstand and leg stuff has been going well but my planche and lever training has been neglected a bit. Obviously I can't train everything with the same emphasis but I'll see if I can make time for other stuff.

Made a few adjustments to my training. I still plan on doing legs Mon/wed/fri for the moment with handstand training in the evening. Took a leaf out of Ferike1's log and moved my weighted dips to Tuesday with my weighted pulls. Will see how I go with that. That frees up Thursdays for me to focus on my planche training.

This morning

Warm up

DL 80kg x 3 x 8 took it handy since first time doing DL's in ages.

BB Bulgarian splits 30kg x 2 x 8 each leg.

GM's 30kg x 3 x 12. Never done these before so just used the same weight to get a feel for it.

Calves - changed this too for a laugh.
    Alternated legs on leg press machine 4 x 20.

Standing calf raises - alternated between using both legs to one leg. No rest.

Tonight - handstand

Warm up

A&B.) handstand wall - back and front
    4 sets x 30 sec.

C.) walk kicks - belly

D. Hspu's- belly 6,5,5,3.

E.) wall walks up n down x 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Can I ask why you're doing handstand training? Is it just a thing that you want to do or will it benefit your BW training?

• Advertisement

Can I ask why you're doing handstand training? Is it just a thing that you want to do or will it benefit your BW training?

Both! Handstands are a part of BW training as it is, plus it's something I'd like to be really good at. At the moment I'm working towards doing freestanding hspu's with no wall behind me. It definitely has benefitted me particular the balance work and it should make the progression to say a L-sit into a tuck into a freestanding handstand easier. It will also benefit working towards the planche and 90 degree push up as you need a lot of straight arm strength for those.

Ant11 wrote: »
    Both! Handstands are a part of BW training as it is, plus it's something I'd like to be really good at. At the moment I'm working towards doing freestanding hspu's with no wall behind me. It definitely has benefitted me particular the balance work and it should make the progression to say a L-sit into a tuck into a freestanding handstand easier. It will also benefit working towards the planche and 90 degree push up as you need a lot of straight arm strength for those.

Cool! I never knew a handstand could have so many benefits elsewhere.

Cool! I never knew a handstand could have so many benefits elsewhere.

Strong shoulders are uber important for BW stuff. Only downside to handstand training 3 times a week is I have to stretch my shoulders/mobility work a lot more on top of all the other stuff I do for my hips but then again the extra mobility work has helped improve my handstand so I can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Sangre wrote: »
    Any tips for bar muscle-ups? I think my strength is there but I just can't get up over the bar.

I have come to the conclusion my pressing strength is quite what I thought it was! I was in the park yesterday and tried to do some deep bar dips and found it quite difficult. Will work on that element as well.

I have come to the conclusion my pressing strength is quite what I thought it was! I was in the park yesterday and tried to do some deep bar dips and found it quite difficult. Will work on that element as well.

At least it's a weak point you've identified and know you can improve. Keep at it. That lad I was telling you about that was doing the band assisted muscle ups got his first bar muscle up yesterday without the band.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Hoping its mostly technique/neurological adaption anyway.

I just die at top of pull-up, can't seem to get into position to press. I think my kipping is completely off and pulls me away from bar rather than towards.

Exactly. Hoping its mostly technique/neurological adaption anyway.

I just die at top of pull-up, can't seem to get into position to press. I think my kipping is completely off and pulls me away from bar rather than towards.

Have you any vids of yourself?

Yesterday evening did a bit of planche training and lots of mobility stuff.

Late gym session today.

Warm up

Squat 70kg x 3 x 12.

RDL's 60kg x 2 sets of 8. Only did 2 sets coz my hammies are tender.

Seated single leg curl 10 x 3 x 10.

Leg press 90kg 3 sets of 10 supersetted with single leg calf.

Gona move the handstand training this evening to tomorrow evening as I'm up at 5:30am to head to a workshop and don't want my shoulders fatigued for it.

Great day today so far. Humbling experience at 'Movement' in AM fitness with Andy Myers. Learned so much and can hopefully add it into my own training. Really need to get myself some rings. Headed straight from there to Paddy's Bars training in Ballyfermot.

Edit: Mods, not sure if I'm allowed mention business names so remove if needed.

Warm up

Lots of foam rolling and mobility stuff

Squat 75 x 12, 12, 10.

BB Split squats 60 x 3 x 8.

Started doing the kneeling hamstring curl with only 5kg on it and felt a twinge in my left hammy so stopped immediately. Can't afford to damage what's left of it. Did a few stretches to see how it felt and a few curls with no weight, which was fine. Didn't do any other hammy stuff after that.

Single leg calf on leg press 40 x 3 x 20

Single leg standing calf raises 2 sets of 20.

Finished with a bit of core.

Tonight - handstand

Warm up

Wall handstand back and front 30sec x 4 sets each

Wall kicks - back x 4

Hspu's on paralettes 4 x 4. (Working on depth) Still not comfortable jumping up on these. I'm fine doing it outdoors, maybe it's the confined space in doing it in.

Pike push ups. Increase the elevation from last time 10 x 3 sets.

Have you any vids of yourself?

Phone is recently busted so can't record myself.

Will try and sort something out. I figured out last night that standing slightly in front of the bar appears to help me get a decent bar path. Still a bit to go though.

Hamstring was fine yesterday and today. Think it was just a tight muscle on Monday and I was a bit paranoid.

Warm up

DL 90kg x 3 x 8.

BB bulgarian split squats 30kg x 2 x 10.

GM's 40kg x 3 x 12.

Kneeling leg curl 5kg x 15,15,12.

Muscle ups 5, 4. Their fairly hard to do at the end of a session.

Handstand training tonight. Think my golfers elbow (epicondylitis) is coming back. left elbow was slightly sore doing the hspu's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

That could just be a knot flaring up. Get a lacrosse ball and massage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

ferike1 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but where can you get lacrosse balls (preferably online coz I is down the sticks!) I've searched a load of sports shops in Galway city but no joy. Hockey balls pretty hard to come by too

ferike1 wrote: »

Yeah could be that, just strange how it comes and goes. I got my version of a voodoo band and flossed that bitch.

johnybean wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but where can you get lacrosse balls (preferably online coz I is down the sticks!) I've searched a load of sports shops in Galway city but no joy. Hockey balls pretty hard to come by too

You can get lacrosse ball on Amazon, Ebay, Rogueeurope.eu, Physioneeds.ie and I think D8fitness have them too. I got hockey ball in Elverys.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

You can get lacrosse ball on Amazon, Ebay, Rogueeurope.eu, Physioneeds.ie and I think D8fitness have them too. I got hockey ball in Elverys.

Cheers Ant

This morning

warm up

weighted Dips
    Bw + 20kgs x 10
    Bw + 40kgs x 3
    Bw + 52.5kgs x 3,3,2,1,1.
    Bw + 40kgs x 6.

I had planned to do 5 sets of 3 reps, the same as last week but the weight just wasn't going at all. Last week 50kgs seemed a lot easier, really struggled today. Looking back over my log back in June I was doing 3 sets of 6 reps and I got up to 47.5 kgs, which is only 5 kgs lighter than today's 52.5kgs. I think back then I may have been dipping twice a week, which I think is better for this type of strength work.

Anyway!!

Weighted pull ups (dead hang)
    Bw x 5
    Bw + 15 kgs, 5,5,3,3,2, found these hard too. Maybe I was having a bad day:confused:
    Bw + 40kgs x 1 and a halfway up struggle attempt at a second rep. The 40kg is my previous 1RM pull up. Did it I just to see where I was.

Wide grip (dead hang) pull ups 3 x 8. Seemed like nothing after the above.

Enjoyed the dips and pulls on the same day.

Planche training later.

1st ring muscle up this morning. 1st time trying the false grip too (hurts like fook). Wasn't training for it but got shown how to do it and had a go. Got it after a few attempts. Just goes to show what good tutelage can do. I think using the false grip on rings, it's all about technique compared to a bar muscle up, which you can kinda butcher to get over the bar. Will train the ring muscle up when I eventually get a set of rings.

Do you train from home most days?

Do you train from home most days?

Train in gym in the mornings 4 sometimes 5 days a week. l do my squatting and weighted work etc there. Train at home in evenings bout the same. The Saturday training is just for fun, mostly skill work.

Train in gym in the mornings 4 sometimes 5 days a week. l do my squatting and weighted work etc there. Train at home in evenings bout the same. The Saturday training is just for fun, mostly skill work.

Ah I see. I just thought when you mentioned getting rings, that it was for home use.

• Advertisement

Ah I see. I just thought when you mentioned getting rings, that it was for home use.

I'd have nowhere to hang them at home. I was thinking about getting eye bolts and putting them through the ceiling and into the joists and hang the rings from them. Well that's if my landlord lets me :)

Advertisement