Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

When does your current cycle end and do you intend to test?:)

Test day is Monday week. Next week has some rest so the hard work finishes tomorrow.

Warm up

Squat 105kg x 10 x 3. Wave 3 done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

125+

Hanley wrote: »
    125+

That's the plan big man.

Rest day on squat cycle so just did a load of mobility work.

• Advertisement

Handy one

Squat 110kg x 3x1

More mobility stuff

Gas how that's "handy" now.

Gas how that's "handy" now.

In fairness it was only 3 singles but yeah "handy". The joys of following a well structured programme and getting tekkers advice from someone who knows their ****. Learned a lot from this cycle, will mail ya after the test.

Squat 60kg x 3x1.

Ready for the test on Monday.

Test day today, went exactly as planned.

Did about 40mins warm up/mobility to be sure.

Squat
    Bar 2x10
    60 x 5
    70 x 3
    80 x 1
    90 x 1
    100 x 1
    110 x 1
    115 x 1
    120 x 1 - Old PR, no probs.
    125 x 1 - yep
    130 x 1 - yep
    135 x 1 - New 1RM :):).

Delighted with how that went. 135 was a slow fight. I'm always slower out of the hole probably because of my hamstring op but I'm happy because each rep was like the last, just slower. (That was a take home point from Hanleys workshop).

Also did a pistol squat on my left leg without having to use a counter weight, thanks to Hanley for identified my ankle issue. Didn't manage it on the right leg as my right ankle is a bit tigger than the left but getting there.

Great start to the day :)

• Advertisement

Triple training session today.

Hand balancing etc in AM fitness at 6:30, Paddy's bars at 9 and hit up a gymnastics club in Ashbourne at 3:30.

I've decided to stop training for at least 2 weeks (apart from my Saturday stuff) and solely focus on mobility work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

How was the gymnastics session?

ferike1 wrote: »
    How was the gymnastics session?

Was good laugh, load of us went to it. Few of Andy's mates were there, few from AM fitness even Anna and Bob came along. Trying to get a deal on a cheaper rate but will definitely go again. You'll have to come along one of the days.

Got some new toys. Still on my mobility sabbatical from training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Ant11 wrote: »
    Got some new toys. Still on my mobility sabbatical from training.

Nice rings! The same kind Hanley bought by the looks?

Nice rings! The same kind Hanley bought by the looks?

Got them of a company in Waterford, Grip gymnastic rings. Very good quality.

Got them of a company in Waterford, Grip gymnastic rings. Very good quality.

Yup, probably of Marco.

...tho I thought they were in wexford!!!

Same guys tho :)

Yup, probably of Marco.

...tho I thought they were in wexford!!!

Same guys tho :)

Yeah was Marco. Wexford/Waterford potato/potatoe.

From the amount of mobility stuff I've been doing the last few weeks my progress is not as much as I expected. There's something there that ain't doing what it's supposed to do so decided to go the physio yesterday and basically went through everything. Identified a number of things but a major one was slight compression of my spine and hip flexors, psoas and glute medius not firing correctly. He tested and I had no control at all. He then decompressed my legs by basically pulling then and retested and low and behold I had control and omg the difference it made getting into a squat. He compressed my legs back in again just to confirm. Can't wait to go back next week to work on thorasic spine and shoulders, see what else we can find. Love all this stuff, would love the study it.

The journey to becoming a supple leopard continues..........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

From the amount of mobility stuff I've been doing the last few weeks my progress is not as much as I expected. There's something there that ain't doing what it's supposed to do so decided to go the physio yesterday and basically went through everything. Identified a number of things but a major one was slight compression of my spine and hip flexors, psoas and glute medius not firing correctly. He tested and I had no control at all. He then decompressed my legs by basically pulling then and retested and low and behold I had control and omg the difference it made getting into a squat. He compressed my legs back in again just to confirm. Can't wait to go back next week to work on thorasic spine and shoulders, see what else we can find. Love all this stuff, would love the study it.

The journey to becoming a supple leopard continues..........

Who'd you go to?

• Advertisement

Who'd you go to?

Rory O'Neill in Rathoath. Came highly recommended from a PT I know and would 100% recommend him myself.

Properly trained for first this week. Was back with Physio yesterday and the dysfunctions identifed last time are all working the way they should, which was good news. Identified a few other problems that we didn't have time for last week. Right pec minor was causing left psoas not to fire. And what he did with my ankles was just magic. I was able to drop my arse right onto my heels in a comfortable position without falling over.

Back training, back logging, going to Ido in June, mobility definitely on the up. Got my first ever comfortable front squat last week without feeling like I was fighting my body.

This morning

Warm up/mobility

Wrist prep

5x5
    A1.) supinated ring push-ups at hips with short pelican
    A2.)90degree hanging leg raises with 5kg plate.

B1.) 2repsx5setsx3 different positions. OAC with (mantle, pinky spots and pinky archer).
    B2.) HSPU's - would normally do reps here but I focused on my core issue.

5x5
    C1.) ring dips (add complexity)
    C2.) Bridges x 10s holds. These are way easier now that I'm more limber :)

Squatting this morning. Worked up to a 80kg x3 front squat.

Warm up/mobility

Wrist prep

5x5
    A1.) supinated ring push-ups at hips with short pelican - (increased angle)
    A2.)90degree hanging leg raises 6kg.

5x5
    B1.) Ring chins - chin above the top part of ring. - harder than it sounds.
    B2.) wall Handstands x 30sec

5x5
    C1.) ring dips ( lock out getting better)
    C2.) Bridges x 15 sec.

Had planned to front squat but lads wanted to DL and since I haven't in ages I decided to see where things were at.

Warm up

A.)
    DL 60 x 1 x 5
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

B.)
    DL 70 x 2 x 5
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

C.)
    DL 90 x 2 x 5
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

D.)
    DL 120x 1 x 5
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

E.)
    DL 130 x 1 x 5
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

F.)
    DL 140 x 1 x 5 ( think that's a rep PB, could have done more but wanted to save something in the tank).
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

G.)
    DL 150 x 1
    Pull ups x 5
    Red Band pull apart x 15

All DL's felt great so tried to beat my previous 160 PB.

DL 162.5 x 1 fail
    Tried it few minutes later and failed again. Got it off the floor but no joy. It's my own fault, if I'd planned on going for a PB I would have done less volume. Ah well good session all the same.

At the physio again yesterday more for a review and a few other things I wanted him to look at. Everything is starting to fall into place after the few suttle changes that have been made. It's mad how a muscle group can throw other muscle off course so much.

This morning was a mixed bag of OAC practice and handstand stuff and some different mobility stuff.

Also got a sports massage this evening and got him to go to town on my pecs and thoracic spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah,my back and knees were feeling the burn from tight hips. The physio had a great time with my hips I'm sure: pick a spot ,any spot, and he'll cry with pain.

Yeah,my back and knees were feeling the burn from tight hips. The physio had a great time with my hips I'm sure: pick a spot ,any spot, and he'll cry with pain.

It's worth it afterwards once you don't go into the pain cave. I'm told I have a high tolerance for deep massage so he had me taking deep breaths and exhaling while he opened the door of the cave and dangled me inside on a bungee cord just long enough to get a super stretch on my pecs. It made a considerable improvement.

• Advertisement

Did an hour of yoga yesterday and today, was tough. Also did some front squatting n pistol stuff just playing around with my ankle rom.

Advertisement