Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Warm up

OAC practice
    Warmed up with a few normal pulls n pinky archer supports.
    Then moved onto a 1 arm hold at top of the ring and a band assisted negative so I can work the full length of my lats right into a dead hang. These are horrible but hopefully effective. Only doing 1 rep n then swapping sides. Did 3 sets, that was enough.

Ring rows
    HS floor drill
    HS practice

DL worked up to 150 x 3 dead stop with double OH grip. Grip still improving. I used to change grip round 130.

Bodyfat is down, strength is up. 150kg DL is now double BW so was fairly happy with getting the 3 reps at OH grip. Probably could of done more if I hadn't been doing OAC.

Decided a while ago I'm not bothering with putting on weight, up or down. I just want to be functional and able to move properly. Mobility has come a long way. Once I stay as strong as I am and look good I don't care what weight I am. When I become a supple leopard that may change.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ant11 wrote: »
    When I become a supple leopard that may change.

Supple leopards don't change their spots.

I'm sorry..

Had a handstand workshop on Saturday and got a few new que's which have help considerably. Have been making a couple of changes in my training the last couple of days. I'm going to really push the HS and the OAC for the next few week so my training is going to look very repetitive. Also considering focusing on an OAP instead of OAC to protect my elbows but still feeling things out so nothing is set in stone yet. I'll still be squatting and deadlifting too.

Not a bad way to start the day

Warm up/mobility

Back Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    80 x 10
    90 x 8

95 x 5 x 5

72 x 3 x 12 (fast)

Keeping Squats for Mondays. HS n OAC will be split through the week, some stuff at home and some when I'm climbing. Also have stiff leg DL, conventional DL and overhead squats to challenge the body.

Walking like a penguin today.

• Advertisement

Yesterday

Handstand session with a good bit of hanging and scapular work.

Front & back stahl bar holds 3 x 15 each. (Back hold is weaker)

H/S conditioning 40/30/20. (Do more next time, fatiguing too early)

Core compression holds

Today

OAC practice.

Played around with chin and pull up grip.

1/2 mantal concentrics 5x3 both sides (increase reps before lowering mantal)

Assisted Eccentrics
    3x3 for time. Lowered until lat dies and then use assistance to full hang.

Climbed after this too.

Warm up.

HS floor drill and 1 arm hanging.

A1.) HS wall holds 40s x 5
    A2.) weighted shoulder stretch x 5

B1.) HS free holds x 5
    B2.) Front & back stahl bar holds 5 x 15s each

C1.) scapular pulls x 3x5
    C2.) RDL 50kg x 5 x 15.

Tonight

Warm up/mobility

Back Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    80 x 10
    95 x 8

100 x 5 x 5

on last set my 3rd rep felt a twinge in my knee at the bottom and came up really slow, re-racked and set up again n did the last 2 reps. Legs were completely dead after it.

Plan was 76 x 3 x 12 (fast). I got to 4 reps on 76 and I was dying so dropped to 60 and did 1 n half sets before I threw in the towel. Legs were completely dead, wasn't feeling it at all. Don't think I'm build for endurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Tonight

Warm up/mobility

Back Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    80 x 10
    95 x 8

100 x 5 x 5

on last set my 3rd rep felt a twinge in my knee at the bottom and came up really slow, re-racked and set up again n did the last 2 reps. Legs were completely dead after it.

Plan was 76 x 3 x 12 (fast). I got to 4 reps on 76 and I was dying so dropped to 60 and did 1 n half sets before I threw in the towel. Legs were completely dead, wasn't feeling it at all. Don't think I'm build for endurance.

Feel the same about endurance man! I was going to attempt the Dan John 50 rep squat challenge with you BW on the bar. No re-racking for rest though. Got to like 16 and said, this isn't happening!

Plus I'm a fat bastard nowadays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Built for endurance pah. If you trained more towards endurance you'd be built for it :P

• Advertisement

ferike1 wrote: »
    Built for endurance pah. If you trained more towards endurance you'd be built for it :P

While training endurance can improve it some people naturally have more fast or slow twitch fibres. I've always been fast/powerful over short distances in any activity I've been involved in so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Excuses excuses excuses!

Handstand session this morning with integrated mobility as a superset. It's repetitive so couldn't be bothered writing it out.

Note: Line so much better with new setup. Do front endurance sets next day.

H/S session this morning with all the usual.

Edit: more front endurance.

RDL 55kg x 5 x 15 in between holds.

Have decided to park my OAC practice for a few weeks and push the HS more.. Hoping the climbing will maintain the level I'm at on the OAC.

So my training is now going to look even more boring. Just HS and legs and the shoulder conditioning I do at home and mobility stuff.

Tonight

Warm up/mobility

Back Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 10
    80 x 10
    95 x 8

100 x 5 x 5

Since I fail at this last week I went for the same numbers again. Tough but no bothers this week.

100kg 5x5

76kg x 3 x 12.

This morning

Lots of upsidedownness, isometric holds, and a few ab cramps.

3 hours of climbing and messing on a pull up bar last night

This morning

RDL 60kg x 5 x 15

Mostly did scapular stuff today, upper body's a bit stiff.

Warm up

Squat -

90 kg 5x5
    80kg x 20
    70kg x 12.

5x5 dropped weight from last week because I'd physio work done on my psoas' at 5pm and had to train at 8:30 and my psoas' were fairly fired up when I started squatting so though it best to take it easy on the heavier stuff. Then I got it into my head to go for 20reps. So 80kg x 20, then 70kg x 12. On the 70's had a short pause on the 10th rep, 11th flew up and I stopped dead in the hole on the 12th for what felt like an hour, got it halfway up and was spotted to the top. Nearly puked after it.

I always squat to my full rom on squats, which is somewhere below parallel. Wouldnt call it atg since my ass doesn't touch my ankles when I sit in a resting squat position. They felt and looked deeper tonight though which can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Vomitastic!

Kudos!

Vomitastic!

Kudos!

Cheers! Prob shouldn't of eaten at 7 but was running around all day, I had to get food into me before squatting.

• Advertisement

Double handstand session today and climbing. Glutes are in a heap from yesterday, quads are fairly tender too but not as bad as expected.

RDL's
    66kg x 5 x 15

All the boring stuff: hs, scapula n core conditioning.

weighted disclocates have improved and grip has narrowed, continue with inlocates(weaker).

RDL's
    66kg x 5 x 15

All the boring stuff: hs, scapula n core conditioning.

weighted disclocates have improved and grip has narrowed, continue with inlocates(weaker).

Do you have a vid link to the scap and core conditioning you do?

Do you have a vid link to the scap and core conditioning you do?

No vids, really I've just left the ego at the door and taken bits n pieces from what I've learnt and focused on my weakness. Like some of that external rotation stuff I showed you. It's all fairly basic stuff and probably doesn't even look like I'm training but I've been focusing on doing the basics to perfection and making my foundation stronger. Core stuff again is very general IMO. Even thought I've a strong core already I'm working it in position that it's weaker. Like lying flat on my back and lifting hands overhead my lower back arches naturally because ribs are elevated, which is a similar position to my handstand so I'm working to keep my ribs down, core on and lower back flat against floor. Have listened a lot to Coach Sommers and his point is, if you can't hold a basic position you shouldn't be doing it in a more advance position. This goes for everything really and it's something most people skip over. Don't know how many people I've seen who barbell squat but can't sit in a resting squat position. I don't want to be broken in 10 years so I'm taking the time now to make sure of that. From what I've been doing everything else has gotten stronger without directly training them. On Tuesday I squatted 80 x 20 reps after doing 5x5. I wouldn't of been able to do 20 reps 2 months ago without my elbow exploding.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I get what you mean though. Makes sense. That's exactly what I want to do too. Develop the foundation hence my question. I will take a look around for vids on basic stuff and mix it with the stuff we do with Andy.

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. I get what you mean though. Makes sense. That's exactly what I want to do too. Develop the foundation hence my question. I will take a look around for vids on basic stuff and mix it with the stuff we do with Andy.

Will go through stuff with ya on Sat if you want.

In the meantime try this. So much harder doing it seated and keeping the back flat against the wall. It makes doing it standing look easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V2Exzb324

Coach Summers explains it in a bit more detail here.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/846-wall-extensions/#entry6146

Are you sitting in a squat?

Are you sitting in a squat?

For the wall extensions? No your sitting on the floor with you arse in tight against the wall. Keep it there as tight as you can and your full back must stay completely flat against it. The aim is to keep your elbows, forearms and hands flat too.

Wasn't feeling it today. Hamstrings still a bit tight from Friday.

Warm up

Squat
    Bar x 10
    40 x 10
    60 x 8
    80 x 5
    90 x 3
    100 x 5
    110 x 3 x 4.

70 x 15
    70 x 8 Meh

RDL's

70 x 3 x 15 (supposed to be 5 sets)

Wanted to get these out of the way instead of Friday but legs were fried.

• Advertisement

13/5/14 Note to self:

Standing shoulder dislocate with dowel (without grip opening) = 36 inches. Has improved from 42inches in 3 weeks. Delighted with that, didn't think it had moved that much.

Advertisement