Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greasing the Grove

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ivan.Drago

What's your long term approach with the dislocates? Keep on going until you can get hands to a certain width and then increase the weight? I've heard that the major benefit comes out of doing these weighted (even with 1.25-2.5kg to start off with).

Somewhat unrelated - I've noticed yourself and ferike's logs and was wondering if either of you are attending Ido Portal or Coach Sommer's upcoming seminars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Ivan.Drago wrote: »
    What's your long term approach with the dislocates? Keep on going until you can get hands to a certain width and then increase the weight? I've heard that the major benefit comes out of doing these weighted (even with 1.25-2.5kg to start off with).

Somewhat unrelated - I've noticed yourself and ferike's logs and was wondering if either of you are attending Ido Portal or Coach Sommer's upcoming seminars?

I do these weighted too, my goal is to get under 30 inches at the moment but ultimately I'd like to be somewhere close to 24. Coach Summer recommends a shoulder width grip which I reckon is about 22 to 24 inches. He advises to add minimal weight move your grip closer and be able to do about 10 reps, then you can up the weight and widen grip at the start and then work it back in again. The weight helps move your hands in. Tried doing them the opposite grip but need to find a longer stick. You can also do them seated and lying down. And there's also the weighted shoulder stretch, which is very good.

Both myself and Ferike have Ido tickets but I've decided to sell mine. I was offered to go away for a week and live and train in a completely different setting for the same price (accommodation&food included) where I will learn loads. I'm sure Ido will be fantastic and I'd love to meet him but I know people who've been to Movement X already and as much as they loved it, I've seen the itinerary for Dublin and I pretty much know the majority of it already. I may not be able to do it to a fantastic level but I do know the foundations/progressions etc. no offence to Ido but I reckon I'll learn more on the trip away. Was a hard choice.

I believe the rough guide for shoulder width is the thumb being in line with the to the outside of the deltoid - I need to clarify this for myself though.
    Yep I find the inlocates harder - don't know whether it's for pure anatomical reasons or if it's just a case of me being more tight on them compared to the dislocates.

Sounds cool! Do you mind me asking what exactly the trip is / who it is with?
    I'm going to both Ido in Dublin and also the Coach Sommer one in the UK - probably looking forward to Sommer more as I'm working through his Handstand and Foundation stuff so will more directly apply to me.

How do you make progress with dislocates? Is it just a matter of moving your grip in millimetre by millimetre each successive day? Do you do them every day? I've been doing them unweighted with a dowel but I haven't been consistent or made a conscious effort to track progress. I just did it there and am at about 36 inches as well.

I believe the rough guide for shoulder width is the thumb being in line with the to the outside of the deltoid - I need to clarify this for myself though.
    Yep I find the inlocates harder - don't know whether it's for pure anatomical reasons or if it's just a case of me being more tight on them compared to the dislocates.

Sounds cool! Do you mind me asking what exactly the trip is / who it is with?
    I'm going to both Ido in Dublin and also the Coach Sommer one in the UK - probably looking forward to Sommer more as I'm working through his Handstand and Foundation stuff so will more directly apply to me.

Yeah your right with the thumb in line with delt, I clarified that on gymnastic bodies as it's wasn't clear in H1. Actually only bought it today, mainly for the mobility stuff. I think everyone finds the inlocates harder so your not alone.

I'm going to Return to Bare Basics retreat on the Isle of Wight with Tony Riddle & Ben Medder. Was in London with them at the Gloves Club in Feb.

Wanted to go to Coach Sommers in UK too but just don't have the funds at the minute. Now that you mention your going to both and by your user name I've a funny feeling we know each other.

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    How do you make progress with dislocates? Is it just a matter of moving your grip in millimetre by millimetre each successive day? Do you do them every day? I've been doing them unweighted with a dowel but I haven't been consistent or made a conscious effort to track progress. I just did it there and am at about 36 inches as well.

This is what I've done today. I warm up with a band first doing disclocates, band pull a parts etc then I'll do the dowel disclocates. I start wide and work inwards and I got to say 37 inches for arguments sake, then I added 2.5kg (I would of added less but didn't have it) and started wide again and worked my way inwards until I got to 36 inches and then did 10 reps of that. Then I took the weight off n had a rest and then took an empty bar at 36 inches and was comfortably able to do it. My plan is to continue doing that and see if I can keep improving. Coach Sommers also advises doing the weighted stretches after training when your warm.

Edit: attached my dowel marked in inches.

That retreat looks class! Not sure if you'd know me, I train out of BHAF in Sandyford so the username thing might just be a coincidence! I don't actually know anyone else going to either seminar!

That retreat looks class! Not sure if you'd know me, I train out of BHAF in Sandyford so the username thing might just be a coincidence! I don't actually know anyone else going to either seminar!

Ah you mustn't be the person I'm thinking of, sound very similar though and he's going to both seminars and has the foundation&handstand series. Sure I've trained a couple of times with him so he'd know it was me by the log. It was him who actually told me about Coach Sommers going to the UK, he was saying something about flying to Luton and commuting to wherever it's on. What's your route for heading over?

How far are you along the F1 n H1 or you onto the 2nd already? Just been googling about this morning and I just got my hands on a PDF of F1 :). By the looks of it strength wise I'd fly through it but I bet as soon as I try all the mobility stuff I'll be restricted. Will go through it when I get time and see where I'm at.

Flying to Heathrow and then getting a train to Stroud (where it's on).

Still on F1 and at the beginning of H1 still mainly due to lack of mobility (although I'm quite far along on the wrist preparation). Looking at it initially I thought that I would fly through a lot of the progressions but the high volume at the beginning combined with little rest is surprisingly tough, plus I'm stuck at a few bottlenecks which have exposed a need for a lot of flexibility work, notably the very first Side Lever progression.

Flying to Heathrow and then getting a train to Stroud (where it's on).

Still on F1 and at the beginning of H1 still mainly due to lack of mobility (although I'm quite far along on the wrist preparation). Looking at it initially I thought that I would fly through a lot of the progressions but the high volume at the beginning combined with little rest is surprisingly tough, plus I'm stuck at a few bottlenecks which have exposed a need for a lot of flexibility work, notably the very first Side Lever progression.

Yeah I tried the wrist stuff, it's practically the same as the stuff I already do and I'm way ahead on that especially the wrists rocks. From what I've read the first 3 or 4 iM's are purposely harder to fix the shoulders. I can already do some of the iM's later on so I'm hoping putting the effort in now with the earlier stages will benefit. I'll have to go through F1 and see where I get.

• Advertisement

Got confirmation for shoulder disclocates for H1 for those interested see photo.

Going away in 5 weeks so am guinea pigging a program until then. I've more time on my hands now so will keep my handstand stuff at home for the moment. The program is supposed to be for 6 weeks and done over 5 consecutive days. I'll be doing it 3 days and only for 5 weeks so YNDTP or whatever. plus I'm looking for a last min hol so might be cut short but in the mean time this is what I'll be doing. Will still get an idea of it over 3 days I reckon as each day is nearly the same.

Warm up

Rest periods (30 - 60).
    My rest period was changing the weights around, which was a pain in the hole. I didn't stop moving throughout.

Circuit x 5
    1.) Squat x 110
    2.) Evevalted ring push ups with RTO
    3.) high pull x 54
    4.) push press x 55
    5.) weighted pull up x + 26

Circuit x 4
    1.) Squat x 112
    3.) high pull x 55
    4.) push press x 57

Circuit x 3
    1.) Squat x 115
    3.) high pull x 57
    4.) push press x 59
    5.) weighted pull up x + 27

Circuit x 2
    1.) Squat x 122
    3.) high pull x 60
    4.) push press x 62
    5.) weighted pull up x + 29

Circuit x 1
    1.) Squat x 130
    3.) high pull x 63
    4.) push press x 65
    5.) weighted pull up x + 30

Elevated ring pu's were done with a person pushing on my back but going to change it to weighted ring dips to make it more challenging.

Push press needs more legs, stop thinking about strict press.

Squats were solid, good dept all well below parallel. Definate improvement in squat all round.

19/5/14

Disclocates same distance 36", goal is 24" but I'd settle for 26".

iM1 has improved 2 inches each side. Needs to move 6" more e/s to progress.

Inlocates - heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Inlocates??

ferike1 wrote: »
    Inlocates??

You know it already, maybe not by it's name. It's what he does in the vid but only going level with shoulders.

http://youtu.be/2ocJSrHou4M

Warm up

Rest period was changing the weights.

All DL's double overhand, with reset.

Circuit x 5
    1.) DL x 135
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 10
    3.) high pull x 54
    4.) push press x 55
    5.) weighted chin up x + 26

Circuit x 4
    1.) DL x 137
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 15
    3.) high pull x 55
    4.) push press x 57
    5.) weighted chin up x + 26

Circuit x 3
    1.) DL x 145
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 20
    3.) high pull x 57
    4.) push press x 60
    5.) weighted chin up x + 27

Circuit x 2
    1.) DL x 152
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 25
    3.) high pull x 60
    4.) push press x 62
    5.) weighted chin up x + 30

Circuit x 1
    1.) DL x 160
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 30
    3.) high pull x 63
    4.) push press x 65
    5.) weighted chin up x + 30

160kg DL double overhand matches old 1rm but about 9kg lighter bw and an easier pull even after doing the previous reps.

Push press needs work, too much like a strict press.

Are the rings turned out 100%?

And are your palms facing front or back?

Are the rings turned out 100%?

Their turn out as far as they go, which is thumb roughly at 180 degrees to the body. I'll bring my geometry set with me next time and measure the cos of the angle.

And are your palms facing front or back?

Front as in outwards? Your externally rotation so palms are out. Don't see how they could face backwards unless you force your shoulders to internally rotate, which I'd assume is difficult doing a dip.

They face backwards when you are doing Bulgarian dips?

They face backwards when you are doing Bulgarian dips?

Bulgarian dips are a different movement pattern, it's lateral, there is no rotation of the rings. That's why I said doing a ring dip it would be difficult to internally rotate to have the palms facing backwards.

• Advertisement

I may alternate RTO dips with Bulgarian dips. If only for the added shoulder strength. When your arms are fully forward it seems stupid hard to dip from that position.

I may alternate RTO dips with Bulgarian dips. If only for the added shoulder strength. When your arms are fully forward it seems stupid hard to dip from that position.

Not a bad idea dude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just spend a few minutes reading your log...

Did some inlocates - what the fudge?!?!?

Hanley wrote: »
    Just spend a few minutes reading your log...

Did some inlocates - what the fudge?!?!?

Horrible aren't they! My missus is better at it than me.

Circuit x 5
    1.) Squat x 110
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 10
    3.) high pull x 54
    4.) push press x 55

Circuit x 4
    1.) squat x 112
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 15
    3.) high pull x 55
    4.) push press x 57

Circuit x 3
    1.) squat x 115
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 20
    3.) high pull x 57
    4.) push press x 60
    5.) weighted pull up x + 27

Circuit x 2
    1.) squat x 122
    2.) weighted ring dips with rto + 25
    3.) high pull x 60
    4.) push press x 62
    5.) weighted pull up x + 30

Energy was low this morning, everything felt tough so left the last circuit for the 1 reps. Think I need to up my carbs more. Had a 4 hour nap after Wednesday session.

Not happy with no horizontal pull in this circuit program. Don't know if it's just me but it seems to be a common occurrence in programs, prob why so many people have crap shoulders.

Circuit this morning was the same weight as Friday bar the squats.

Squat
    112 x 5
    115 x 4
    120 x 3 think that's my best 3RM prob could have done more.
    125 x 2
    132 x 1 a so much better squat all
    round then my previous 1RM of 135.

All squats are below parallel and going great at the moment, getting comfortable with weights I used to fight for.

Push press are again too much like a strict press. Think I'll drop the weight and work on technique.

Chins/pull ups and dips could prob go a heavier but I don't want to use up too much energy on them and take it away from my squat.

Playing wit handstands in the sun and as much horizontal pulling as I could do with my bands and 2.5kg plates. Great how you can make something so light feel so heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Anyone who I train who says I make things easy, I force into doing it with a tempo to see how they feel then:P

Anyone who I train who says I make things easy, I force into doing it with a tempo to see how they feel then:P

Ha, it's a good way to get people to hate ya, it's effective though. Find it very good for rotator cuff work.

• Advertisement

Trained this morning 6:30 but dropped the weights a bit to stay somewhat fresh.

10am went to a studio for handstands, acro balancing and whatnot for 3 hours. Got a lesson in rope too. Girls that do it are ridiculously strong.

Advertisement