Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F.O.B queary

Options
  • 13-05-2013 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I need to import some materials from China I have been quoted $100 F.O.B, I guessing that's the price I pay for the materials to the port in Dublin. What I need to find out is
    1.Can I collect from the port or do I need to employ a courior to deliver to me?
    2. What tax am I liable for at the port
    3. Are there any other charges I'm liable for? I.E handling and storage

My budget is tight at the moment and I don't want to over stretch myself any help would be great
    Thanks
    Tha Gall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You liable for import tax, handling fee's and overheads the port applies. I have pretty limited experience with them myself so thats third hand info. Its however going to cost a lot more than $100. I'd only suggest going the sea route if your doing at least half a container load of goods and even then you'd want to have an incredible margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Cheers IronClaw
    I was under the impression F.O.B was the price I paid for good including delivery to Dublin, and I am responsible for any charges that are incured after the package has left the boat. There is another thread around here and one of the guys said you pay vat @21% upto €150 and after that customs imports charges are applied. do you have much experience importing from China and how am I notified that my package is ready for collection? Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

FOB is free on board Chinese port or airport, basically it covers local freight and export documentation iin China. You then have to pay for the sea/air freight to here, customs clearance charges, local delivery charges , import duty and VAT on the total of those and the goods cost.

Your post is unclear as to whether the material is included in the 100 $ or this is the FOB charge.

My only experience is third hand. But I remember seeing the figures and if its coming by sea you'd want to be getting a container size load with a good margin on the product to absorb the costs. Its the type of shipping that only works for bulk product.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Hi Peter
    The total price is €100 including the product. I thought F.O.B would be the price includeing the product delivered to Dublin, are you saying it's the price to the chineese port and I pick up the bill from the chineese port to dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

the GALL wrote: »
    Hi Peter
    The total price is €100 including the product. I thought F.O.B would be the price includeing the product delivered to Dublin, are you saying it's the price to the chineese port and I pick up the bill from the chineese port to dublin?

FOB is free on board Chinese port or airport. Get a price from DHL or Fedex to ship it by air.

Get a price from DHL or Fedex to ship it by air.

Good advice. If nothing else you'll get it a right bit quicker and you'll know well ahead of time the total costs involved. But you will pay for it.

By the way, what are you shipping from China?

Advertisement