Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband speed,

• 13-05-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I've just returned to eircom and I'm already regretting it. I've been told my line can only take 2 meg broadband maximum, however my brother who is 300m further from the exchange is getting 4-5 megs. His line is 20 years old, mine is 4 y.o., eircom basically say tough. Is this normal for someone closer to the exchange to get lower speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

no but as your house is only 4 years old the wiring could be awful, have you many telephone extensions and who did the wiring? if its wired wrongly and eircom do a test the bad wiring will play havoc.

ideally you need to know how the wiring was done, lets give you an example. say you have 6 extensions throughout the house, a quick way to do this work is to join all the cables in the loft to the incoming cable. then run wires off to all extensions. this works for voice but no good for BB. You need the main socket connected to the modem. You can find main socket by looking for an NTU outside, ie an eircom box. and following that cable into the house. to get round the problem you could run a new cable yourself with no joins to where you have the modem etc.

And you could get eircom to call and check the wiring as well, say you have crackles on line etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What are your line stats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mossie

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    no but as your house is only 4 years old the wiring could be awful, have you many telephone extensions and who did the wiring? if its wired wrongly and eircom do a test the bad wiring will play havoc.

ideally you need to know how the wiring was done, lets give you an example. say you have 6 extensions throughout the house, a quick way to do this work is to join all the cables in the loft to the incoming cable. then run wires off to all extensions. this works for voice but no good for BB. You need the main socket connected to the modem. You can find main socket by looking for an NTU outside, ie an eircom box. and following that cable into the house. to get round the problem you could run a new cable yourself with no joins to where you have the modem etc.

And you could get eircom to call and check the wiring as well, say you have crackles on line etc.

I have an ongoing query with eircom on this. I'll check on the wiring, but I have has 5 meg broadband here with no problems in the past. problem seems to have started after eircom put the lines underground on the road outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭mossie

dub45 wrote: »
    What are your line stats?

These are what i'm getting:

noise margin upstream: 29 db
    output power downstream: 11 db
    attenuation upstream: 28 db

noise margin downstream: 8 db
    output power upstream: 16 db
    attenuation downstream: 49 db

ATM Loopback Test Fail

Advertisement