Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Steering Oil - 2005 VW Touareg R5 2.4L TD1 Auto

Options
  • 13-05-2013 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The power steering on my 2005 R5 2.4L TDi started stuttering today and within an hour there was no power steering at all. The hydraulic fluid reservoir (picture below) is almost empty so I assume it's my own poor maintenance which is at fault unless there is a leak somewhere.

What I'd appreciate some help with is determining whether this generic fluid from Halfords http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_270309_langId_-1_categoryId_212351 will do the trick? The cap of the reservoir states that G002000 Power steering fluid must be used but my understanding is that G002000 power steering fluid is equivalent to CHF-11S and it is ok to use a "CHF-11S" compatible central hydraulic fluid in place of G002000.

I hope the above makes sense and someone here can give me the right steer - excuse the superb pun

Cheers,

Ben

20130513211512.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You must have a leak, PS fluid doesn't disappear like that without a leak.
    I'd fix that first before going ahead with refilling the system.
    That CHF doesn't seem to be available from Halfords at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You must have a leak, PS fluid doesn't disappear like that without a leak.
    I'd fix that first before going ahead with refilling the system.
    That CHF doesn't seem to be available from Halfords at the moment.

Hi CJ, Halfords have rows and rows of G002000 speck CHF-11S fluid, got some yesterday. It fixed the problem...................for 5 minutes. Not only is there a lot of pipework damaged resulting in the power steering fluid leak but the power steering rack is banjaxed, the auto gear box is leaking and needs a gasket and I need two new front wishbones. I'm looking at €2,500 all in :mad:

Advertisement