Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mancini sacked

• 13-05-2013 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭

just on SSN now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I'll miss his interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This is bad from a United supporter's perspective..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who'd have thought a week ago that both Manchester clubs would have new managers so quickly?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Okay another thread pops up
    It is with regret that Manchester City Football Club announces that Roberto Mancini has been relieved of his duties as Manchester City Manager.

This has been a difficult decision for the owner, Chairman and Board to make and it is the outcome of a planned end of season review process that has been brought forward in light of recent speculation and out of respect for Roberto and his extensive contributions to the Football Club.

Despite everyone’s best efforts, the Club has failed to achieve any of its stated targets this year, with the exception of qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League. This, combined with an identified need to develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the Club, has meant that the decision has been taken to find a new manager for the 2013/14 season and beyond.

Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “Roberto’s record speaks for itself and he has the respect and gratitude of Sheikh Mansour, myself and the Board for all of his hard work and commitment over the last three and a half years. He has clearly also secured the love and respect of our fans. He has done as he promised and delivered silverware and success, breaking the Club’s 35-year trophy drought and securing the title in 2012. I would like to personally and publicly thank him for his dedication to the progress that he has overseen and for his support and continued friendship."

Assistant Manager Brian Kidd will take interim responsibility for the remaining two games of the season and the post-season tour to the United States

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I'll miss him putting his tactical wits against Europe's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Shit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

murpho999 wrote: »
    Who'd have thought a week ago that both Manchester clubs would have new managers so quickly?

Top three will all have new managers next season,its going to be interesting

Next season cant come quick enough.

Maybe if he managed to get RVP to the Etihad last summer he might still be in a job,outside of Nastasic the signings they made last summer
    were poor enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shocked never saw this coming...oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

No real shock. He knew Saturday he was gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If Rumours about Pellegrini are true then from City's point of view they are installing an upgrade.

Having said that Mancini's reign can't really be considered bad so I feel very sorry for the guy (even though I have no clue what he is like.:o). He did a good job while he was there. Had a very tough CL group (two Semi Finalists) and a competent Ajax team. It was always going to be hard to get out of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This precise date last year they won the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He's a nice guy, probably too nice for his own good, the players felt they could walk all over him. Hope he gets another job soon, he did a better job than he'll be given credit for but sometimes was tactically naive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

This precise date last year they won the league.

Classy stuff from the club.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Translation of club statement:
    We have sh*t loads of money and zero patience and are therefore not prepared to put up with someone who can't win us trophies every year. Obviously the fact that he managed to produce the first silverware that this chronically underachieving club has seen in years is irrelevant and we eagerly await the next sacrificial lamb his replacement.

Really makes you wish for the old days when there was no money in football sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I blame Tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

The Sky Sports yellow ticker is a lot bigger than normal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So new managers coming to both Utd and City and Mourinho back to Chelsea. I'd be tempted to have a few quid on Chelsea to win the EPL next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The Sky Sports yellow ticker is a lot bigger than normal...

Yes,it will be "Breaking News" for at least 12 hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Ferguson to come out of retirement to take the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The managerial merry go around is a bit of a joke really though isn't is (United aside for the moment)

The only real winners are the managers and their agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

JokerD wrote: »

Now that would be the ultimate heel turn right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Not surprising, imo he was holding City back although he did win the title last year. Going to be very interesting next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

JokerD wrote: »

..and promptly breaking the transfer record to sign Federico Macheda, Bebe and Vijay Selvam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

h the exception of qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League. This, combined with an identified need to develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the Club, has meant that the decision has been taken to find a new manager for the 2013/14 season and beyond.

What the fúck is 'holistic' meant to mean? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

4 of the top 6 clubs with a new manager( Chelsea possible 4th), hopefully will make it an interesting season next year.

The managerial moves this summer are gonna be great craic altogether and at least one of the big ones will be an absolute disaster.....but which one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mancini walks away with £35 million in his back pocket. Not such a bad day for him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im getting so fed up of football lately im not acity fan btw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Not too surprising.

In a way it seems a bit harsh and maybe he should've had another season to turn it around.

But then again, he knew what the expectations were when he took over the job and that the type of season they had would be unacceptable.

With their resources they should really be consistently getting to at least the quarters of the CL and getting 85 points + in the League.

No doubt that this season was a failure in almost every regard.

Unfortunately Mancini can have few complaints - the huge amount of money that led to him winning a league title demands a level of consistent high performance that he did not deliver this season.

Anyone taking on this job at City will be under no illusions what level this type of investment demands.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Mancini walks away with £35 million in his back pocket. Not such a bad day for him really.

Yeah always made me laugh when they said Mancini was under pressure, how can you be under pressure when you know you are walking away with a massive lump sum in the 'sky rocket' even if you fail?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mancini won the league last year, he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Mourinho gets unreal praise for spending a load of money at Chelsea and getting the players to gel. Mancini, little praise and little credit.

European runs were not great (stinker if a group this year) but I thought he deserved more time. I think the some of the players were a big part of the problem this year.

I think sacking Mancini puts unnecessary power into the hands of under performing players, like what happened at Chelsea.

Arrivederci Roberto.

Its going to be a mad summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kfallon wrote: »
    Yeah always made me laugh when they said Mancini was under pressure, how can you be under pressure when you know you are walking away with a massive lump sum in the 'sky rocket' even if you fail?

Because money isn't everything. Stress is real for just about every human; anyone can be put under pressure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

kfallon wrote: »
    The managerial moves this summer are gonna be great craic altogether and at least one of the big ones will be an absolute disaster.....but which one?

All but one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

greendom wrote: »

Yep,
    would love to have the problems these sacked "top" managers appear to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

35 millllllion!! and probably gonna walk into another job soon enough.

forgive me if i've no sympathy for the guy. I like him personally but City will be far stronger without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Rafa to take over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think the Man City board have done a pretty decent job so far - they are certainly much more patient and long-term focused than I thought they'd be when they first took over.

This will be their second managerial appointment in four years. They were right to upgrade from Hughes to Mancini, and, though time will ultimately tell, I really do feel that they are right to now upgrade from Mancini to (most likely) Pellegrini.

It's not like Mancini had won the league only to be booted out the door the next day. It's pretty clear to see that he can take the club no further. Those that are criticising this move, and aligning it with all that's wrong with modern football, are being a bit unfair imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Blatter wrote: »
    What the fúck is 'holistic' meant to mean? :pac:

a. Emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts.
    b. Concerned with wholes rather than analysis or separation into parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

4 of the top 6 clubs with a new manager( Chelsea possible 4th), hopefully will make it an interesting season next year.

Could be set up for Wenger!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Steve Kean has been offered the job.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

a. Emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts.
    b. Concerned with wholes rather than analysis or separation into parts

zzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Mancini won the league last year, he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Mourinho gets unreal praise for spending a load of money at Chelsea and getting the players to gel. Mancini, little praise and little credit.

European runs were not great (stinker if a group this year) but I thought he deserved more time. I think the some of the players were a big part of the problem this year.

I think sacking Mancini puts unnecessary power into the hands of under performing players, like what happened at Chelsea.

Arrivederci Roberto.

Its going to be a mad summer!

True but Mourinho's Chelsea crushed the Premiership to an extent to which Mancini's Man City didn't quite reach. 95 points is still the record points total and Chelsea were head and shoulders above everyone that season.

Then take into account the fact he followed it up with a win the next year (whereas Mancini fell well short), a superior Champions League showing, throw in a couple of league cups extra and Mourinho's reign looks more impressive.

Plus I'm not sure if Chelsea's silly money was as silly as Man City's silly money (willing to be corrected here, but I think in terms of wages and transfers City brought it to a new level).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Could they not have waited one more game and let him finish the season? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Have to say even as a United fan, i feel sorry for him. Seems a likeable fella really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liam O wrote: »
    He's a nice guy, probably too nice for his own good, the players felt they could walk all over him. Hope he gets another job soon, he did a better job than he'll be given credit for but sometimes was tactically naive.

Thats not the reason for City's poor from in the Champions league for the last two seasons or how bad they were this season.

Letting De Jong go and asking Barry and Yaya to be both attacking and defensive midfielders was crazy. Trying to switch to a 3 man defense and having Clichy as on of those three was another joke and don't get me started on signing Garcia, Sinclair and Rodwell.

Neville on Twitter.
    'Failing to achieve the clubs stated targets'

I bet the incoming manager is thinking ' probably should rent rather than buy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

He spent 300m and constantly moaned. He did an OK job, winning the title and the FA Cup. Probably deserved at least one more year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I bet Moyes is raging he didn't wait another few days :pac:

Reminds me of the way we got rid of Ancelotti, won a double and finished 2nd in his next season and was turfed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Sad news for Man United.

:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement