Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mancini sacked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

New job for Rafael Benítez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

greendom wrote: »
    Mancini walks away with £35 million in his back pocket. Not such a bad day for him really.

Incorrect, his compensation is capped at one season so £7 million is the payout.

The absolute fucking idiots to sack him on the anniversary of the title win, I genuinely think no one at the club has a clue about PR. No wonder Mancini had a pop at your one the other day.

The fact that he won't get a send off in front of the fans at the final home game is a disgrace. Like him or not he brought us trophies, something no one else could do for decades before.

Every bit of ridicule today and for the next while is fully deserved :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kryogen wrote: »
    Sad news for Man United.

:(

I don't get this line of though tbh. Surely this is good, since it means United's main rival will also have a manager who has to get use to his new team, tactics, facilities, etc. I would rather face another new manager than someone who was established AND had won a title two seasons ago..l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

greendom wrote: »
    Mancini walks away with £35 million in his back pocket. Not such a bad day for him really.

Where did you get the figure?

Thought it would be around 20mil, is it genuinely that high? Surely that has to hurt them for the FFP, coupled with buying out a manager from his contract and signing him up?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Incorrect, his compensation is capped at one season so £7 million is the payout.

The absolute fucking idiots to sack him on the anniversary of the title win, I genuinely think no one at the club has a clue about PR. No wonder Mancini had a pop at your one the other day.

The fact that he won't get a send off in front of the fans at the final home game is a disgrace. Like him or not he brought us trophies, something no one else could do for decades before.

Every bit of ridicule today and for the next while is fully deserved :mad:

The higher ups at the club lack any sort of class really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What's your source for this? Never seen it before.

I don't get this line of though tbh. Surely this is good, since it means United's main rival will also have a manager who has to get use to his new team, tactics, facilities, etc. I would rather face another new manager than someone who was established AND had won a title two seasons ago..l.

Not for me, was pretty comfortable with Mancini at the helm, that City squad guarantees a title challenge regardless of manager in fairness (as long as he has a minimal level of capability)

Mancini was never going to dominate the league imo, but although instability is good for United, if City bring in a truly brilliant manager, with that squad, and that financial clout they could dominate both home and abroad for a long time.

Luckily as we have seen with Chelsea, idiots tend to shoot themselves in the foot more often then not, when businessmen interfere with and make football decisions it tends to blow up in their face thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Edited..

Not related..

Blatter wrote: »
    What's your source for this? Never seen it before.

Do you honestly think a club would agree to payout an entire contract of that length?

My source is my own opinion plus what a few people well connected with City are saying on Twitter.

• Advertisement

b757 wrote: »

Getting train home...?

* from Twitter..

Nope, that's from when he went to an Arsenal match. LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Our year

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Does Pellegrini even speak much English? I thought I read reports before that he was far from fluent. Could be a disaster if so.

Tell you what, all joking aside, and I have been doing alot of it about him. If they actually left him with no way home other then to take the train like that and humiliate him that manner is a disgrace.

He won them a league title for **** sake, one year ago today and it was the first league title in quite a while! Deserves far better treatment then that.

Do you honestly think a club would agree to payout an entire contract of that length?

My source is my own opinion plus what a few people well connected with City are saying on Twitter.

I'm sure it's been done before at other clubs.

Maybe a figure was reached at the signing of the new deal but £7m sounds low from a £25-30m contract, especially in the first year of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

kryogen wrote: »
    Tell you what, all joking aside, and I have been doing alot of it about him. If they actually left him with no way home other then to take the train like that and humiliate him that manner is a disgrace.
    Would imagine he'd find it quite easy to get a lift or even a taxi.

Can't imagine Fergie, Wenger or Mourinho getting a train. Respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Sacramento wrote: »
    Nope, that's from when he went to an Arsenal match. LINK

Thanks.. Pic removed..

--

Pity though, would have liked for him to stay on. I guess the City owners want trophies every year, which is expected for how much they put into the club. How much more would the new manager be able to improve on Mancini?

The train pic is from a year old. The crying out for sensationalism is pathetic lads, come on.

5starpool wrote: »
    Does Pellegrini even speak much English? I thought I read reports before that he was far from fluent. Could be a disaster if so.

Why? Plenty of City players would speak Spanish, Aguero, Yaya, Tevez, Silva, Garcia etc

No idea what languages he speaks tbh but sure hey, if Trap can do it with an interpreter sure why cant a lowly club manager :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I

The train pic is from a year old. The crying out for sensationalism is pathetic lads, come on.

Thank God for that, that really would have been ridiculous

(thought it was from January?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can understand City fans not being happy about this decision. They endured a long baron period and seen their team drop two divisions. Suddenly they get these great owners and then they win the league and in such a thrilling fashion too. They will have a soft spot in their hearts for Mancini forever.

Looking from the outside though he hasn't achieved enough with the money he has had at his disposal(and spent). The failure to advance beyond the group stages of the Champion's league in two attempts is just awful. Personally I feel they should be walking away with the league and that hasn't happened either.

If Pellegrini is the new man then I think they are going to dominate even if Mourinho goes back to Chelsea. I still wouldn't rule out City making a move for him though.

Balague said today that he speaks very good English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Vintage Mancini. I will miss him.

He speaks fluent English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Have to watch what I say here or holiday number 2!!!!

So im going to be diplomatic about this and just say thank you Mancini for all the memories.....

As a utd fan, thanks!!!!!!!

Been some great ones over the last few days!

And thanks for Balotelli. Again got to be careful as airing opinions around here regards players is frounded upon, so just thanks!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Balague said today that he speaks very good English.

About as good as Mancini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

he speaks better english then Jamie Carragher

Have a pair of balls and say what you really feel instead of hiding behind thinly veiled digs.

And you're right, he gave us some great memories. Three trophies in three years and proper relevance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Gonna miss the "Mancini woooooOOOooo" chant.

Have joined in with the TV a couple of times when no one was around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Gonna miss the "Mancini woooooOOOooo" chant.

Have joined in with the TV a couple of times when no one was around.

Would imagine you'll hear it at the last home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So im going to be diplomatic about this and just say thank you Mancini for all the memories.....

And thanks for Balotelli. Again got to be careful as airing opinions around here regards players is frounded upon, so just thanks!!!!

What memories? Getting that banner taken down at Old Trafford. Trolling you's this day last year??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

monkey9 wrote: »
    What memories? Getting that banner taken down at Old Trafford. Trolling you's this day last year??

Well there are those, but for me it will always be how they so timidly 'defended' or basically handed back our trophy!

Or the look on poor oul Roberto's face when he realised that they actually had to do more than just turn up at the fa cup final...

Those ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The classiest thing about City has just been taken away..

Looks like it will be Pelligirini but can only see him being another stop gap solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

A bit rash imo.

Even though Pellegrini's a huge favourite I can imagine the City owner's trying to reach out to Jose as we speak.Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,577 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Oh my.

bradlente wrote: »
    A bit rash imo.

Even though Pellegrini's a huge favourite I can imagine the City owner's trying to reach out to Jose as we speak.Why wouldn't they?

Because their director of football would be an anti Mourinho person. Won't happen.

No chance of Jose going there, could see Swansea sweating in the near future though ;)

It looks like Pelligrini though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mancini wasnt too bad a manager really don't get city sacking him.. Instant success sack manager?? What about long term success managers need plenty of time!!! Madness

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No it isn't frowned upon. Abuse won't be tolerated however.

I'm sure it's been done before at other clubs.

Maybe a figure was reached at the signing of the new deal but £7m sounds low from a £25-30m contract, especially in the first year of it.

You could be right, I would just be shocked if there's no clause in there.

If they do shell out the full whack it may be the final nail in my coffin in terms of caring what happens in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

Mancini has the most expensive squad assembled in PL, he HAD a championship winning team, he had all he could ask for and more but wasn't able to even compete in the PL this season AND was a badly exposed in Europe two season in a row. He lost to a Wigan side in Fa cup that his team had beaten 7 successive times and without conceding a single goal.

What does that tell you?

He went backwards in one season all that he managed to accomplish last season. Added to that, he mismanaged Ballotelli, Tevez, Harte and Nasri, constantly undermined the players and moaned about not signing RVP all season long as the reason why his side suddenly could not compete (not even win) the Premier league. He signed guys like Scott Sinclair and never gave them a go, apologised for not giving him a go and still left him on the sidelines.

It is noted that he was not investing enough time in the clubs youth policy and if you place City and Chelsea side by side, money versus money you will see that Chelsea are overflowing with young talent and within a few more years will see them signing less and less expensive players and bring these kids through.

So all in all, Mancini is a little like Ronseal, he did exactly what he intended to do and succeeded to do what he was brought in for. BUT - they now need someone to overhaul their system and bring them forward longterm. Not saying Pelegrini is the man for that job but when you have billions at your disposal i would have sacked him as well.

Fair enough Jose and Txiki have history,But I don't know if they share genuine bad blood.One of the main reason's Mourinho didn't get the Barce job was because of how he deal's with the media.I think that situation in England is different.Pellegrini has a good record but if he come's in and fail's Txiki's job is just as liable to go too.It wouldn't look good on his part after passing up the best manager in the world right now and watching him possibly take a rival to the title.

Also with Barce a philosophy came into question.I don't think that exist's with City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't think he's much of a manager but he seemed like a nice guy. Pretty deplorable the way he's been treated.

bradlente wrote: »
    Fair enough Jose and Txiki have history,But I don't know if they share genuine bad blood.One of the main reason's Mourinho didn't get the Barce job was because of how he deal's with the media.I think that situation in England is different.Pellegrini has a good record but if he come's in and fail's Txiki's job is just as liable to go too.It wouldn't look good on his part after passing up the best manager in the world right now and watching him possibly take a rival to the title.

Also with Barce a philosophy came into question.I don't think that exist's with City.

I'm fairly sure Txiki wants to imprint his own style and philosophy on City, why would they have hired him otherwise? Mourinho just wouldn't fit in with it at all.

• Advertisement

Mancini has the most expensive squad assembled in PL, he HAD a championship winning team, he had all he could ask for and more but wasn't able to even compete in the PL this season AND was a badly exposed in Europe two season in a row. He lost to a Wigan side in Fa cup that his team had beaten 7 successive times and without conceding a single goal.

What does that tell you?

It tells you that United signed the Premier League's top scorer and reaped the rewards while City stayed still.
    He went backwards in one season all that he managed to accomplish last season. Added to that, he mismanaged Ballotelli, Tevez, Harte and Nasri, constantly undermined the players and moaned about not signing RVP all season long as the reason why his side suddenly could not compete (not even win) the Premier league. He signed guys like Scott Sinclair and never gave them a go, apologised for not giving him a go and still left him on the sidelines

No he didn't. He wanted Van Persie and others, Brian Marwood and the owners were the ones responsible for the likes of Sinclair. Mancini didn't play him because he didn't rate someone who wasn't his signing.
    It is noted that he was not investing enough time in the clubs youth policy and if you place City and Chelsea side by side, money versus money you will see that Chelsea are overflowing with young talent and within a few more years will see them signing less and less expensive players and bring these kids through.

And that's one stick with which he can be beaten but is it enough to form part of the case for sacking him? Not for me, there's enough scouts, academy officials etc to be doing that donkey work if it's that important.
    So all in all, Mancini is a little like Ronseal, he did exactly what he intended to do and succeeded to do what he was brought in for. BUT - they now need someone to overhaul their system and bring them forward longterm. Not saying Pelegrini is the man for that job but when you have billions at your disposal i would have sacked him as well.

So back to square one is the solution. You said that City went backwards this season, well we'll only head one way while a whole new regime is put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Zaph wrote: »
    Really makes you wish for the old days when there was no money in football sometimes.

Ah well if it's a club with no money you want then Dalymount Park is where you should be.

Coincidently we're playing St Pat's on the 24th. You should come down. ;)

The failure to make it ouf of the group stages in the Champion's league two years running is enough to warrant his sacking imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

have a feeling Mancini will end up at Monaco by the start of next season

eagle eye wrote: »
    The failure to make it ouf of the group stages in the Champion's league two years running is enough to warrant his sacking imo.

That's a task for any manager when you're a third seed tbf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement