Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G&G GR15 motor upgrade??

• 13-05-2013 10:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I bought this gun second hand a few months back. I've since installed a madbull python 2 6.03 tbb and a new hop up rubber and nub. It's shooting at 320-324fps now so that's good enough. However during my last few skirmishes, I've been listening to other guys guns and their guns motors appear to spin a lot faster than mine. While I haven't checked to see how many bbs a second I'm getting, I'd say the other guns are putting a lot more bbs out than my Raider per second.

Now I'm not a spray and pray merchant, and usually fire single shot or quick burst. However, I think a faster motor would get the shots out quicker and might help this old man beat the young 'uns to the draw when it comes down to Mano a Mano!:D. Seriously though, this gun is my test bed and for my next little experiment, I'd like to try a new motor out. Am I going to screw up the gun by installing a new motor and thus wearing out the gearbox in a hurry or is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Darth Phoenix

I seen from your post that you were a single shot, burst short style of player, For that I would suggest a high torque motor "guarder, SHS,Element etc " as it will react better for you than a high speed motor and may suit your style of play better.

As for the wear and tear of your gearbox with a new motor, yes and no, parts do wear no matter what but to help reduce wear and improve the running of the gearbox and to keep it as chip as possible , it is worth concidering shimming your gearbox to help it run smoother.

Their are other things you can do but I'm not sure how much your willing to spend on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Darth Phoenix mentioned a few motors there and I use the SHS neodymium motor in my custom build. I have some other motors here if you wanted to try them and see if you notice any change in your RoF Dave. The SHS will definitely increase it so you could throw that in for a test fire and see if you notice a change if you wanted to. Other than that torque is probably the best for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks lads. Just trying to improve my knowledge bit by bit. I'll try out a new motor in the Raider to see how she runs. Are there any particular models of motors that would suit the Raider, eg the SHS as Hobby have these in stock?

One last question on motors, how do you know the correct positioning of the motor, ie turning the screw in its base while fixing it in place? Is there a correct sound to listen for when pulling the trigger or is it just trial and error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Thanks lads. Just trying to improve my knowledge bit by bit. I'll try out a new motor in the Raider to see how she runs. Are there any particular models of motors that would suit the Raider, eg the SHS as Hobby have these in stock?

One last question on motors, how do you know the correct positioning of the motor, ie turning the screw in its base while fixing it in place? Is there a correct sound to listen for when pulling the trigger or is it just trial and error?

When the motor is in the correct position it should be making as little noise as possible........ie. The least amount of screeching possible. Good shimming will
    reduce noise aswell.
    The ideal position for a motor is when the pinion gear on the motor is in contact with as much surface area of the teeth on the bevel gear without touching the solid piece of the bevel.
    Hope this helps and sorry for the awful explanation!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Like i said, I use the SHS one and i love it, now I haven't got one in my Raider, just the standard G&G one as it's running fine but might upgrade in a while.

As for the motor, Untamedlemon said it should be making as little noise as possible with no grinding or whining. Having said that, you mentioned the Raider is going to be your tester for some things so you could try shimming the gearbox to fit the motor in :) I shim my gearbox from the motor and bevel gear (just a personal preference, as i know some shim from the spur gear) By shimming this gear it allows the motor to sit just right so it meshes perfectly with the gear; undershim the gear and the motor can actually force the gear away from the pinion on the motor but because the bevel is held in place by the gearbox it can cause a lot of stress.

Might be more information then you were looking for but anyways, now you have it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement