Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrifying dreams/nightmares

• 13-05-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

The last while I've been quite stressed and I find myself waking during the night always around 6am, but I usually fall back to sleep the problem is in the 2 hours I sleep ( I usually get up at 8) I have terrifying dreams, but they seem so real and I remember them fully when I wake, sometimes I wake in panic and It takes a few seconds to realise it was just a dream.the dreams involve horrific things about murders and death and absolute horror and I recognise family members in the dreams, I really don't know what's going on, they aren't based on movies i watched or something I read about and they are never the same dream it's always something different its quite scary, does anybody know what could be causing this? As I said I am going through a stressful time in my life at the moment but my health is good and I'm active with a good diet any advice wud b brill, thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RelationshipAd

I think it's to do with the stress. You have so many things going on in your head and your brain is so active. You are most likely not even in a deep sleep when this is happening. I used have really bad ones when I was out of work, I felt as if I had no security. Things were also good with my girlfriend at this time and she was working. I felt like I could not protect her or provide for her.

My Dream: I would think that I'm not asleep but just have my eyes closed lying in bed. I hear the door opening and it's like someone is walking around in the kitchen. Then I hear them outside the bedroom door as if they have their ear pressed to the bedroom door. Slowly the door opens and they move around to the bed, standing over my girlfriend. I am screaming at myself to wake up.. I am tying to move but I'm paralyzed. I'm doing everything I can to warn her. He puts his hand in her hair. I tell myself I need to wake her up. I start to try make noise. I try breathing heavy thinking that she will hear it because I can't talk. I am using all my strength to poke my arm is around. I finally give one more push. This is when I wake up and I have tears in my eyes and breathing heavy. My heart is pounding.

I now lock all doors before I go to bed and watch a movie or read a book. This takes my mind off all the **** stuff thats going on around me and I try fall asleep. The worse the movie the better. No point in watching something that will remind you of the bad crap going on. Like romantic movies or sad movies etc. Save them for when your happy. I search top 10 worst movies, easier to fall asleep and less chance you'll feel that the film relates to your situation. It works for me anyway. :)

Edit: and if the movie is good your less likely to sleep while it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tiamii

I think it's to do with the stress. You have so many things going on in your head and your brain is so active. You are most likely not even in a deep sleep when this is happening. I used have really bad ones when I was out of work, I felt as if I had no security. Things were also good with my girlfriend at this time and she was working. I felt like I could not protect her or provide for her.

My Dream: I would think that I'm not asleep but just have my eyes closed lying in bed. I hear the door opening and it's like someone is walking around in the kitchen. Then I hear them outside the bedroom door as if they have their ear pressed to the bedroom door. Slowly the door opens and they move around to the bed, standing over my girlfriend. I am screaming at myself to wake up.. I am tying to move but I'm paralyzed. I'm doing everything I can to warn her. He puts his hand in her hair. I tell myself I need to wake her up. I start to try make noise. I try breathing heavy thinking that she will hear it because I can't talk. I am using all my strength to poke my arm is around. I finally give one more push. This is when I wake up and I have tears in my eyes and breathing heavy. My heart is pounding.

I now lock all doors before I go to bed and watch a movie or read a book. This takes my mind off all the **** stuff thats going on around me and I try fall asleep. The worse the movie the better. No point in watching something that will remind you of the bad crap going on. Like romantic movies or sad movies etc. Save them for when your happy. I search top 10 worst movies, easier to fall asleep and less chance you'll feel that the film relates to your situation. It works for me anyway. :)

Wow yours sounded awful, I'm glad you have dealt with it. Mine are disturbing the worst one was my neighbourhood were all searching for a missing child and an old man who I didn't recognise was being blamed for taking the child away and eventually he admitted he had killed the child and buried him in a field and I recognise the field as it's part of my home farm, and then we all go down there and find the body Nd it's very gruesome and alot of my family members are there crying it went into alot more detail and it's literally scared the life out of me I felt like there was something wrong with me and as I said it wasn't a movie or something I seen in a paper it was terrifying

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RelationshipAd

Sounds like a really nasty dream. It really is mad how the mind works. Have you ever watched some of Derren Brown's stuff? The way he can make people think that they had free will in making their own choices but through suggestion is able to bend them to his will.

It really can show you what might play tricks on your mind. I know it might be hard to do right now, but the less active your mind is the less likely you will have those awful dreams.

I think your current negative situation is picking up on all the negative around you (news, media), maybe it's stuff you seen way back. But it's all coming out of your subconscious now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Tiamii

Sounds like a really nasty dream. It really is mad how the mind works. Have you ever watched some of Derren Brown's stuff? The way he can make people think that they had free will in making their own choices but through suggestion is able to bend them to his will.

It really can show you what might play tricks on your mind. I know it might be hard to do right now, but the less active your mind is the less likely you will have those awful dreams.

I think your current negative situation is picking up on all the negative around you (news, media), maybe it's stuff you seen way back. But it's all coming out of your subconscious now?

Thanks you have given me alot to think about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭50SofG

Tiamii wrote: »
    The last while I've been quite stressed and I find myself waking during the night always around 6am, but I usually fall back to sleep the problem is in the 2 hours I sleep ( I usually get up at 8) I have terrifying dreams, but they seem so real and I remember them fully when I wake, sometimes I wake in panic and It takes a few seconds to realise it was just a dream.the dreams involve horrific things about murders and death and absolute horror and I recognise family members in the dreams, I really don't know what's going on, they aren't based on movies i watched or something I read about and they are never the same dream it's always something different its quite scary, does anybody know what could be causing this? As I said I am going through a stressful time in my life at the moment but my health is good and I'm active with a good diet any advice wud b brill, thanks in advance

i had terrible dreams/nightmares as a young boy. they were so real to me always scared, i still to this day if i have a bad dream i don't get scared of the dream i had i get scared of remembering what it was like as a boy.
    dreams are strange things but i think as we get older they may be linked to stress or pressures we are under. thanks for listening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 zane55

Tiamii wrote: »

Whatever the dream is pointing to it's probably a sign that you are fearing failure in your life. The death and murder sounds like symbols for failure and loss. Or your fear of failure and loss.

Advertisement