Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E/FIBRE - life Changing - What does it mean to you

• 13-05-2013 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Khannie
    Just had a guy from Magnet on the phone there. He said it's going to be December for Skerries!!!

They are offering a fairly decent deal though - 69 per month for unlimited landline and mobile calls, 300 minutes international calls + internet.
    Sounds good alright, I have no interest in the phone end of things but that's decent for the extra, also you can add a tenner to that for 89 digital channels if you want TV, I dont think their TV is all that though...(last time I saw it was about 5 years ago and it was ISP tv, dunno will much have changed tbh)

This new fibre really opens a lot of doors for me, I feel ive been living in the dark ages since I moved to Balrothery, it's the one thing that has me more irked than anything else about the area to be honest...

Small things in the grand scheme of things admittedly, I have to roundtrip to Dublin every Friday night to do my radio show live from a studio in Dublin - with this it means I can remote login and do my radio show from the comfort of my own home, not to mention I can not stream proper HD when im watching a footy match, now I will be able to, not to mention if I miss a day of college I have to wait an age for a class to buffer before I can watch it without interruptions.....

I got a fancy new smart telly a while ago as well and I can't even connect it to the net due to not having a minimum 10mb connection, again, another thing that will change, as I said, small things to most but they will help me no end....
    [code]Quote: original post by Fielddog

This post was excellent - it really show's how fast broadband can make a difference to a person's life.
    On May 20th at 8.30 am Eircom's E/Fibre will be live ---- Changing life's all over our great Nation. And every licensed communication's company in the state will have equal access too provide their customer's a host of exciting new online service's to drive us all crazy this summer.
    What will it Mean to You - better x box / ps 3/4 game time enhancement / streaming movies instead of downloading / Netflix -- THE big one YOU TUBE - without buffering - better on line living.Better UPLOAD speed's that are like being beamed aboard Enterprise - Will you ditch XP and buy that new smart tv.
    Will you tell the Boss , your're better broadband at home -- Will it grow your business- will you start an online business?.
    Are you living somewhere , where high speed broadband was an URBAN MYTH - And what now ? -- Where will all this high speed lead us - You tell us.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

For my parents it'll mean a perfect connection on Skype and perhaps a great range of TV channels when Eircom provides their TV service.

For myself, it means no interruptions while my family streams downstairs on the netbook. Mum may have missed her favourite show(s) on tele and can catch up with them online. Gaming, downloading content or Skyping the Korean lassie without any hiccups is the perfect world.

I'd like to think this could also help with college work and allow me to upload any content for web design, programming or other related to my Summer project.

Pz.

R3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,819 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Means nothing for me.

I live in a rural area, and I'd say it'll be many years before I see fibre speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Means fcuk all, we cannot even get fibre for our damn cattle, never mind fibre optics. We live in Mayo for Christs sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I hope it allows me to work compatently from home without being gimped on file transfers/remote logins or code checkins.

Tbh people for the first time are going to be able to rise from the dark ages and have more than 1 net connection useable at any one time. I havnt bought an internet radio yet because it will slow down/destroy my web browsing.

That being said, lets see how it is before saying how life changing it will be :)

Btw, sorry for the rural area guys, crap broadband sux bigtime, LTE should help in rural areas though, although probably not great for gaming( although pings look reasonable enough )

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

I live 5km from a VDSL enabled town in the current fibre rollout 5Km from my exchange 800metres from a cabinet I will not see Fibre speeds.

Everytime a new generation is launched they roll it to cities, there will come a time however when they serve rural areas with wireless tech and give DSL/Fibre data limits i.e. LTE-4G or 5G is of no use with 15Gb limits.

I have come to ignore Fibre advertising

Waiting ...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

nothing,because eircom couldn't be bother to even supply us with broadband.disgrace

I live 5km from a VDSL enabled town in the current fibre rollout 5Km from my exchange 800metres from a cabinet I will not see Fibre speeds.

Everytime a new generation is launched they roll it to cities, there will come a time however when they serve rural areas with wireless tech and give DSL/Fibre data limits i.e. LTE-4G or 5G is of no use with 15Gb limits.

I have come to ignore Fibre advertising

Waiting ...... :(

What town are you living in?

red_bairn wrote: »
    What town are you living in?

Just outside Castlebar called Turlough (which has ALOT of VDSL currently being installed prolly finished by now) im connected to the Ballyvarry exchange.

The area has 120 houses more would be serviceable on the Cabinet based on where it is.
    Whats worse is there is a fibre line going from Castlebar to Ballyvary... sorry did I say one? excuse me there are 2! one goes through the damn village! on the same route past the Cabinet they could upgrade to VDSL! how annoying is that! and the village doomed with 1 and 2 meg broadband speeds!

Sadly I was onto a director for eircom directly via boards.ie but he said it wasn't in the pipeline :( they did respond quickly etc I had a thread on it but alas even though I supplied comprehensive maps etc etc it wasnt to be so Im keeping an eye out for other alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,310 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nothing, because Eircom will burn money trying to sort-of compete on the side of the town that has UPC and likely not bother helping the poor feckers attached to the exchange the other side where UPC don't have anything, and where they have a captive market already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

Are you living somewhere , where high speed broadband was an URBAN MYTH - And what now ? -- Where will all this high speed lead us - You tell us.
    Are you that Rob fellow from Emobile?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am seriously wondering if the OP is an Eircom employee.

What would it mean to me?
    It'd mean locked into an 18 month contract where I'd pay what I'd be paying UPC for an equally good product AND a TV service.

It's hugely overpriced considering the present market here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭jmcc

I am seriously wondering if the OP is an Eircom employee.

What would it mean to me?
    It'd mean locked into an 18 month contract where I'd pay what I'd be paying UPC for an equally good product AND a TV service.

It's hugely overpriced considering the present market here.
    Either that or a PR type/Technology Churnalist. It is a bit of an odd opening post.

Regards...jmcc

It seems most here are either semi urban or in areas that have fibre on one side of town and not on the other so to the OP.

Give us 4G (or 5G :P ) and decent limits i.e. 100 to 300Megs thats all we ask!
    dont need unlimited until backhaul to the masts are strengthened up!!

that way we get serious speed reasonably good pings about 10miles line of site and all for the price of some cabling to the mast where cabling is already in place.

Is it cheaper than fibre? I dont know probably great cheaper judging by the rate of nots mobile providers can upgrade those masts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

Looks like a shilling OP to me. It's a load of bollox. I lived in Skerries. I'm delighted that people there can now avail of somewhere near decent speeds like I got once I moved to Galway 3 years ago and got UPC. However, only 40KM away at my parent's house, I can't even get Eircom to provide a basic broadband service and I've to rely on a 3G dongle. You have to look at broadband rollout in that context. It's a country of the haves and have nots still I'm afraid.

It seems most here are either semi urban or in areas that have fibre on one side of town and not on the other so to the OP.

Give us 4G (or 5G :P ) and decent limits i.e. 100 to 300Megs thats all we ask!
    dont need unlimited until backhaul to the masts are strengthened up!!

that way we get serious speed reasonably good pings about 10miles line of site and all for the price of some cabling to the mast where cabling is already in place.

Is it cheaper than fibre? I dont know probably great cheaper judging by the rate of nots mobile providers can upgrade those masts.

4G won't be out till probably late summer and 5G is just being tested in Korea. I was on a 100/100 conenction in Korea...I feel like I'm back in the stoneage with Eircom. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

put up speedtest results on facebook and piss all my friends off.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

The 18 month contract is what's putting me off. I'm renting and have just signed another 12 month lease. This time next year I don't know if I will still be here, I might be renting in a town that doesn't have fibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Yes I'm an Eircom tech - and dammed proud of it - look at the fusion map - https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Tell me if you don't see rural area's there. There are exch area's with rural dist cab's that if you did't own a car you could walk for miles without meeting another person.Area's that did't even have 1mb of broadband will now have a massive improvement.There is a cab at Knox Cross in Balbriggan , ask them , how about Loughshinny in Skerries , how about the Rivermeade Est in St Margaret's in Co'Dublin , The Ward Cross , Rollestown nth Dublin.
    All rural area's - there are also area's in town's and city's across the nation that have had little or token broadband.
    There are people out there that are going to go from dial up to 70mb within a day -- if that's not progress I don't know what is - and all being done within Ireland with Irish Worker's at no expense to the taxpayer and in a lot of exch area's 6 month's ahead of completion target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I just want to know what precise date and time will my speeds increase and if i have to do anything to get them increased.

There's a cabinet ~100m or less away from me. I'm supposed to be in phase 4. God knows when it'll actually go live.

I hear some people saying word on the street is cabinet installations are 6 months ahead and all the admin stuff is way behind. Others say everything will be good to go on May 20th.

Clear as mud as usual :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Yep and Comreg will not allow Eircom to put staff on duty after hour's to meet the demand of all companies customer's service request's till 3 MONTH'S from 20th May - figure that one cause I can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

[code]Quote: original post by Fielddog

This post was excellent - it really show's how fast broadband can make a difference to a person's life.
    On May 20th at 8.30 am Eircom's E/Fibre will be live ---- Changing life's all over our great Nation. And every licensed communication's company in the state will have equal access too provide their customer's a host of exciting new online service's to drive us all crazy this summer.
    What will it Mean to You - better x box / ps 3/4 game time enhancement / streaming movies instead of downloading / Netflix -- THE big one YOU TUBE - without buffering - better on line living.Better UPLOAD speed's that are like being beamed aboard Enterprise - Will you ditch XP and buy that new smart tv.
    Will you tell the Boss , your're better broadband at home -- Will it grow your business- will you start an online business?.

You tell 'us'? Is this an ad?

7upfree wrote: »
    You tell 'us'? Is this an ad?

What are you on about? He's asking for peoples feelings on what the technology will change in their technology lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

instead of bringing the speeds up in rural areas they are just pumping more money into improving already fast speeds in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yes I'm an Eircom tech - and dammed proud of it - look at the fusion map - https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1M_lYcvMkt7xIqqSa43TdS1s25oRqtA2JgpxAkYM#map:id=4

Tell me if you don't see rural area's there. There are exch area's with rural dist cab's that if you did't own a car you could walk for miles without meeting another person.Area's that did't even have 1mb of broadband will now have a massive improvement.There is a cab at Knox Cross in Balbriggan , ask them , how about Loughshinny in Skerries , how about the Rivermeade Est in St Margaret's in Co'Dublin , The Ward Cross , Rollestown nth Dublin.
    All rural area's - there are also area's in town's and city's across the nation that have had little or token broadband.
    There are people out there that are going to go from dial up to 70mb within a day -- if that's not progress I don't know what is - and all being done within Ireland with Irish Worker's at no expense to the taxpayer and in a lot of exch area's 6 month's ahead of completion target.
    20-30 years ago you might have got away with calling some of those places "rural". They're no more than a couple of km away from some large urban centres. If eircom are boasting about being able to provide basic service to those within the Dublin county border I shudder to think what the rest of the country suffers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Skull Murphy

There are people out there that are going to go from dial up to 70mb within a day --

That says a lot, though not with the effect you intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Having proper speeds will mean I can finally get a good upload speed, important for me as I frequently work from home, and I also have to access home devices remotely a lot.

Pity, I will be waiting a long time for this to happen as I live many miles from a city (22 KM from Galway). Currently on the Kilcolgan exchange and getting 3.5MB down, and 0.31 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

But it is a private company - so I assume the taxpayer has no involvement nowadays?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

quite simply this means that finally there is the beginning (only the beginning) of real competition in the broadband market (albeit only in certain areas admittedly but you have to start somewhere) and about blooming time I say, roll on 4G & ESB's offering and hopefully others besides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'm 4 miles from Limerick city centre and I'm lucky to be barely getting 1mb, wont be affecting me anytime soon I'd imagine ! (by the way am I classed as rural)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Tell me if you don't see rural area's there.

Nearest green dot to me is over 40Kms away.... Funnily enough, I just got an email saying my internet experience was going to change from 20th May*

*No year specified. But then it's hard to be sure about these things. :D

Advertisement