Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E/FIBRE - life Changing - What does it mean to you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

B you know as I do - sat ain't broadband I'm sorry but the day being in it - I am sick to my back teeth of people bad mouthing Eircom - the company I am so rightly proud of today and Not the corporate comeallya's that latch on to an pr photo shoot.It's an acheivment that tech's I work with every day and KN Service's and the sub contractor's that need to take the bow.
    This is the biggest communication's breakthru in 20 year's - TODAY - I'M PROUD TO BE AN EIRCOM TECHNICIAN.

Eircom is the company who filed for bankruptcy last year. You're proud of that achievement?

Overcharges people for a broadband service that has been around since since the 90's.

How are you proud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eircom is the company who filed for bankruptcy last year.

It went into examinership, not bankruptcy.

Solair wrote: »
    VDSL2 / FTTC can and is being rolled out in small towns and even villages. It's a very scalable technology as you can litterally just throw in a single cabinet to serve a village or a remote housing estate.

The problem with all of these wireline and cable technologies is that they are not practical in one-off-houses in the middle of the countryside or even on the outskirts of towns and cites. They need a density of at least a 40+ homes before they make any sense.

Ireland's very unusual in Europe in so far as we have a lot of very scattered housing due to choices we made about planning. I'm not going to call it 'poor planning' as that's what people opted to do and that's how they voted. It's a cultural / social choice.

The trade off is you get a huge garden, lots of space but your broadband's quite likely to be pretty poor and you'll have to provide your own well and septic tank in most cases and forget about public transport.

For houses in remote areas and in very low density bungalow-blitz type areas, we need to look at cutting-edge wireless (FWA) services. DSL, FTTC and cable will never be able to serve these areas. So, while you might have 100Mbit/s FTTC in the local village, if you've a big house out in the middle of the countryside, you're not going to benefit from these technologies.

With proper FWA, we should be easily able to deliver 50mbit/s + in rural areas using an antenna on your roof and masts connected directly to fibre infrastructure.

"FTTT" (Fibre To The Tower) might be the way forward i.e. provide transmission sites on mountains / high sites and state-fund unlit fibre that providers can use.

Someone with a plan (thank god) there i was thinking our country lacked critical thinking people. Then this post appeared . Well done sir.

<< is available for election :)

Interested parties please PM :D:D

• Advertisement

They're taking poetic license with the headline. Examinership is not bankruptcy. You could call it 'near bankruptcy' perhaps.

Examinership is effectively protection from insolvency / wind up and liquidation. The business is restructured and hopefully put back as a going concern.

Failure to emerge from the examinership process would have left it in dire trouble. That's not the case though it successfully restructured billions of debts and burnt creditors in the process. The company's actually now in a far better situation than it has been for quite some time as a result.

It also shed quite a bit of baggage, including the ESOT.

Bankruptcy in Irish law also only applies to individuals, not corporations / companies / corporate entities and it's a hell of a lot more onerous than US bankruptcy.

----

I'm not arguing that it wasn't a ridiculous position to be in though for what should have been a very profitable company.

Solair wrote: »
    They're taking poetic license with the headline. Examinership is not bankruptcy. You could call it 'near bankruptcy' perhaps.

Examinership is effectively protection from insolvency / wind up and liquidation. The business is restructured and hopefully put back as a going concern.

Failure to emerge from the examinership process would have left it bankrupt. That's not the case though it successfully restructured billions of debts and burnt creditors in the process. The company's actually now in a far better situation than it has been for quite some time as a result.

It also shed quite a bit of baggage, including the ESOT.

Bankruptcy also only applies to individuals, not corporations / companies / corporate entities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy
    Bankruptcy has a definition. Can't just ignore the fact the Eircom business ended up this way. But i understand your thought process on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/

Bankruptcy has a definition. Can't just ignore the fact the Eircom business ended up this way. But i understand your thought process on it.

I'm not defending the fact that it was a crazy situation for eircom to end up in. I'm just saying the consequences of it are actually largely positive as it was able to lose a *lot* of baggage.

It shouldn't have been in that position in the first place though.

In American terminology, it would be reorganiation under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Not the corporate comeallya's that latch on to an pr photo shoot.It's an acheivment that tech's I work with every day and KN Service's and the sub contractor's that need to take the bow.
    This is the biggest communication's breakthru in 20 year's - TODAY - I'M PROUD TO BE AN EIRCOM TECHNICIAN.

Right...and spot on the work done on this project was trojan, even IrelandOffline acknowledged that (those long time fans of eircom corporate):
    http://irelandoffline.org/2013/05/vdsl-rollout-efibre/

Now that VDSL product is almost launched we do need to think about what's best for the rest of Ireland and the rest of the country...and how we can achieve good speeds for all

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is disappointing to read that Eircom are seeking 18 month contracts foe the new products.

With so many people now being mobile and so many others living with uncertainty in respect of their financial circumstances an 18 month contract is extremely onerous.

Also with all of the bb companies now obsessed with locking customers into new contracts (and not always honestly as we can read here on boards) surely Comreg should be looking at these practises.

I suggest the maximum for any initial contract should be twelve months and any further contract extensions necessary to avail of product upgrades should be limited to an absolute max of six months.

Also a robust and honest process needs to be put in place to ensure that customers are fully aware of entering into a contract extension.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »

Also with all of the bb companies now obsessed with locking customers into new contracts (and not always honestly as we can read here on boards) surely Comreg should be looking at these practises.

hahahahaha Comreg, the old chocolate teapot regulator? For as long as Comreg make their income from telco turnover they won't be "regulating" on anything that's good for consumers any time soon that would decrease their income, so it's in their interest to NOT regulate about things like that

It is disappointing to read that Eircom are seeking 18 month contracts foe the new products.

With so many people now being mobile and so many others living with uncertainty in respect of their financial circumstances an 18 month contract is extremely onerous.

I suggest the maximum for any initial contract should be twelve months and any further contract extensions necessary to avail of product upgrades should be limited to an absolute max of six months.

Also a robust and honest process needs to be put in place to ensure that customers are fully aware of entering into a contract extension.

Magnet are offering FTTC without a contract. Could be some catch like an upfront fee but, worth checking out. Same eircom wholesale access product.

bealtine wrote: »
    hahahahaha Comreg, the old chocolate teapot regulator? For as long as Comreg make their income from telco turnover they won't be "regulating" on anything that's good for consumers any time soon that would decrease their income, so it's in their interest to NOT regulate about things like that

Well with a defeatist attitude like that nothing will ever happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Means fcuk all to me if the cabling infrastructure is not in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Holy Moley - this was supposed to be a nice happy thread , you know like where's the internet going - will I die by Saturday because I don't have a tablet - if I go to Harvey's or Power City tonight , what should I buy to make my internet experience better.
    There is a button up above on the main page for those who want to make a living out of slagging Eircom - it's called create a new thread - for those who want to moan , pls for the love of all silicon loving chip's use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Holy Moley - this was supposed to be a nice happy thread , you know like where's the internet going - will I die by Saturday because I don't have a tablet - if I go to Harvey's or Power City tonight , what should I buy to make my internet experience better.
    There is a button up above on the main page for those who want to make a living out of slagging Eircom - it's called create a new thread - for those who want to moan , pls for the love of all silicon loving chip's use it.

I reckon they skipped the part where it says "life changing". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭siblers

red_bairn wrote: »
    I reckon they skipped the part where it says "life changing". :rolleyes:

Life changing for some, but if you are in a situation where you have to depend on 3G Midband and have to put up the nonsense that is the NBS, it gets incredibly frustrating

Well with a defeatist attitude like that nothing will ever happen.

Well fair enough, point taken but what have Comreg done for consumers ever?

Holy Moley - this was supposed to be a nice happy thread ,

The "internet" doesn't do happy:-)

Well fair enough, point taken but what have Comreg done for consumers ever?

Well we don't know what goes on in the background do we?

Comreg do at least have some sort of complaints system in place that helps customers with ip issues

And also it was pressure via boards that caused or at least contributed to Comreg actually taking on UPC where they failed to comply with basic requirements in respect of notification to customers in respect of a price increase.

I have no wish to defend Comreg but you tend to dismiss them every time they are mentioned in any context.

If we dont get ideas out there and get them discussed how can they ever even get to Comreg's attention never mind get them to to take any action on it.

ISP's obsession with getting customers into new contracts on virtually any pretext should be of concern to us all and we really should be trying to get something done about it.

I remember in the early days of dsl when Eircom speed upgrades were routinely applied to every customer by all isps until UTV started asking customers to enter into new contracts to obtain them. I tried to get people interested then but failed now if you sneeze and isp wants you in a new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Boots234 wrote: »
    A guy just called to the door offering us the efibre option but as we don't have a landline it's only the internet that we are interested in. We are living in Cork city and are the least technical people that he is going to meet. At the moment we have the Metro Express package with Digiweb but have had a few difficulties with their internet service. We have 30Mb download speed, 1Mb upload speed and 100Gb monthly data allowance. He kept mentioning 50Mb download uncongested but didn't mention the upload speed or data allowance, but as none of this means anything to us I am wondering is it worthwhile changing over? We are paying €45 a month with Digiweb and this would cost us €40

I may have this wrong! but from what I gather your upload speed jumps from 1mb to 20mb, you would get an unlimited data download and upload for the €40!

I have no wish to defend Comreg but you tend to dismiss them every time they are mentioned in any context.

If we dont get ideas out there and get them discussed how can they ever even get to Comreg's attention never mind get them to to take any action on it.

Sure I dismiss Comreg all the time, the day when I see them do something positive for consumers I'll change my tune, until then I reserve my right to laugh and poke fun at them:)

Having said all that your point is very valid though, this contract thing is getting out of hand, users are tied down to rather one-sided "contracts" with little or no comeback.

I've complained formally to Comreg at the highest levels and got absolutely nowhere with this issue (contracts) on at least 2 separate occasions

Sure I dismiss Comreg all the time, the day when I see them do something positive for consumers I'll change my tune, until then I reserve my right to laugh and poke fun at them:)

Having said all that your point is very valid though, this contract thing is getting out of hand, users are tied down to rather one-sided "contracts" with little or no comeback.

I've complained formally to Comreg at the highest levels and got absolutely nowhere with this issue (contracts) on at least 2 separate occasions

Persistence is a virtue and all the more reason to make it an issue and get people interested in it so that they have to take notice.

Persistence is a virtue and all the more reason to make it an issue and get people interested in it so that they have to take notice.

I'm "down" with that and open to suggestions as to what to do:)

Well we could start a separate thread on the Contracts issue in the bb forum drawing peoples attention to the issue and asking for views on contract lengths etc. and bad experiences.

There are several complaints on the UPC forum about people not being told they were entering a new contract when they upgraded - I doubt if they are the only company with such issues.

Whatever about locking people into longish contracts in respect of mobile products where at least the product is not totally dependent on location - we should be resisting lengthy contracts in respect of fixed locations for the reasons in my earlier post.

I am appalled at the 18 month Eircom requirement for efibre (if in fact that is the length of the required contract)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

jmcc wrote: »
    Are you that Rob fellow from Emobile?

Regards...jmcc

haha, my sides!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I am very excited for Monday!....a new age dawning, welcome 2 the digital garden!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

dont get too excited yet, this could be a disaster, the trial in the UK was 8 months, the trial here?? no one knows. I have not seen a single posting by one trial user saying what the new system was like!! Not one!! Lack of information re prices etc. And worst of all the contracts tie in, 18 months for a system that could be dire!!

And the advertising blurb is just like the bad old days ,,, up to 70mb oh yeah and when hooked up you get 18mb. You cant really complain as its 6 times better than what you may have had.

Lets hope it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I am very excited for Monday!....a new age dawning, welcome 2 the digital garden!!

Not really, fibre is nothing new UPC have been offering it for years. At least with UPC your not tied into an 18 month contract.

Now if fibre connections were made mandatory for every household in the country that would be something to be in awe of, unfortunately even the most affluent areas in Ireland are without fibre infrastructure.

Much of this country is still in the dark ages in regard to high speed Internet.

• Advertisement

justryan wrote: »
    Not really, fibre is nothing new UPC have been offering it for years. At least with UPC your not tied into an 18 month contract.

Now if fibre connections were made mandatory for every household in the country that would be something to be in awe of, unfortunately even the most affluent areas in Ireland are without fibre infrastructure.

Much of this country is still in the dark ages in regard to high speed Internet.

Actually neither offer 'fibre', they both offer 'fibre to curb' (FTTC). That's fibre serving your local cabinet and a coaxial cable (in the case of UPC) or a phone line (in the case of Eircom) to your house.

There's almost no use of FTTH (Fibre To The Home) in Ireland as yet other than a very small trial by eircom and a few apartment buildings by other providers.

That being said, UPC's infrastructure can deliver well over 150mbit/s and eircom should be able to deliver 50-70 mbit/s and up to 100Mbit/s when vectoring's switched on.

Eircom could also make use of an extra line to your house to double the speed. Most homes are served by 2 pairs and it only needs to be connected to the near-by cabinet not the whole way back to the exchange. The gear they've installed also supports 'pair bonding' so, it's possible they could offer speeds beyond 100mbit/s without going to the expense of rolling out Fibre to The Home (FTTH).

Eircom's likely to reach a lot of areas UPC doesn't as yet, so it is definitely a major improvement for a lot of end users.

Advertisement