Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E/FIBRE - life Changing - What does it mean to you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

DavidJC wrote: »
    Modem appears to have phone ports. Possibly for future VOIP service?

Here's the back of the modem..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

What have ye all been doing all day - came home ,was expecting to see some decent speed post's - seeing as install's were going on across the country from 9am this morning.
    That's just typical - them that were done today are probably sitting watching HD movie's on You tube or worse - and not bothered to post a speed result here.
    But not to worry the truth all way's out - PS Wait till ye see the TV - you heard it here first.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    I have decided to leave smart telecom after 6 years of good service and sign up for vodafone fibre, and i was wondering will vodafone handle the take over of the line and do all the transfer stuff or have i to cancel and then approach vodafone.
    thanks all,

apophis :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

What have ye all been doing all day - came home ,was expecting to see some decent speed post's - seeing as install's were going on across the country from 9am this morning.
    That's just typical - them that were done today are probably sitting watching HD movie's on You tube or worse - and not bothered to post a speed result here.
    But not to worry the truth all way's out - PS Wait till ye see the TV - you heard it here first.

So I take it your an engineer with Eircom? Can you tell me if there is any prospect of fibre rolling out in my area in the near future if I give you the location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

yeah and great pings, get out of that 10below. this is crap fibre and we all know it as well, eircom have never let us down and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Eircom will be very busy sending out those IRMA threat letters to their new fibre customers soon enough I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

What do you want you want me to say - I',ve just about 6 mb where I am.
    Even when they put in my nearest cab - I hav't even looked at the disance - I'll wait and see like EVERYONE ELSE - What speed I can get .
    I have to Wait like Everyone else for E Fibre.
    My application is in there with your's and the service order will be spat out at random to a Customer Service Tech (like myself)to complete the order without Favour in the shortest possible time and to achieve the best possible speed result's we can for the customer.
    EHHH - when I get to avail of E Fibre -- be it 10 - 25 - 50 - 70 mb - I'M gonna say NO NO NO - esp if it's a free upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

i'm gonna say, without trawling through 9 pages of "it'll be high speed BB when the sun shines outta me ars€", that i think people need to manage expectations when it comes to fibre. and a lot of the posters agree - 4g/5g will see the first high speed BB come to ALL of ireland. fibre is a stopgap.

take what ya get, i suppose.

as regarding the eircom haters: the other isp's run on their lines, you're free to change :D

on a further bit of reading, this fibre-to-the-tower is probably what we really need, kudos to Solair for the input

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Kromdar wrote: »
    . . . fibre is a stopgap.

. . .on a further bit of reading, this fibre-to-the-tower is probably what we really need

Well, VDSL could be considered a 'stopgap' on the way to fibre-to-the-home (FTTH).

And the 'tower' still has to transmit & receive on radio frequencies: that's the limitation with that technology.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i'm gonna say, without trawling through 9 pages of "it'll be high speed BB when the sun shines outta me ars€", that i think people need to manage expectations when it comes to fibre. and a lot of the posters agree - 4g/5g will see the first high speed BB come to ALL of ireland. fibre is a stopgap.

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Wireless mobile services like 4G will always be much slower then good quality weird broadband services like VDSL, Cable and Fibre.

4G might have good theoretical speeds, but there simply isn't enough bandwidth frequency there. When you will have a lot of people connected to a tower, 4G speeds will drop significantly, probably to less then 5mb/s.

It is purely down to physics and maths, there is no way to work around that.

Having said that 4G will benefit mobile devices greatly, it will lead to a doubling of real world speeds from about 2 to 3 mb/s to about 5 to 6mb/s but perhaps much more importantly it will cut latency in half from 3G.

It is a nice boost for mobile applications, but don't fool yourself, it is no replacement for real wired broadband.

Solair however is right that in order to deliver high quality broadband to rural one of houses, it will have to be done using direct line of sight wireless from fibre connected towers. However that is quiet a different type of technology to 4G, with much higher bandwidth due to the frequencies used and the directional nature of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh and btw fibre cables (as in real fibre, not mixed twistted pair + fibre the Eircoms eFibre products use) is literally the fastest way to carry data.

After all it literally carrys the data at the speed of light. Nothing beats fibre, other then the last mile (distance from your home, to the local exchange/cabinet/cell tower) all of the rest of the internet is carried on pure fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Wireless mobile services like 4G will always be much slower then good quality weird broadband services like VDSL, Cable and Fibre.

4G might have good theoretical speeds, but there simply isn't enough bandwidth frequency there. When you will have a lot of people connected to a tower, 4G speeds will drop significantly, probably to less then 5mb/s.

It is purely down to physics and maths, there is no way to work around that.

Not questioning physics. i meant coverage wise. i'm saying that FTTH is not commercially viable for most parts of the country, at the moment at least.

of course fibre is the fastest way to transmit data, its light ffs.

Not questioning physics. i meant coverage wise. i'm saying that FTTH is not commercially viable for most parts of the country, at the moment at least.

Well it should be possible to get Fibre To The Curb (FTTC) in the form of VDSL or Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC, UPC) to about 80% of homes in the country.

FTTC will be far superior to 4G for these people.

It maybe possible to even increase that figure to 90% if Eircom use mini DSLAMS and perhaps some gap funding subsidy * from the government.

For the last 5% to 10% you will be looking at Solairs excellent suggestion of fibre to the tower and fixed wireless to the home.

4G has nothing to do with any of this.

I'm actually very impressed with Eircom's VDSL rollout, it actually seems to be going much deeper into rural towns and villages then I initially expected it would. It seems like the cost of the VDSL cabs is low enough to make it economic to drive into small towns and villages.

This is great news as the fibre to these cabs could then also be used to feed towers on top of churches, garda stations, schools etc. in these towns and villages to allow wireless to reach one off houses surrounding them.

Now I'm feeling much more confident that we maybe able to reach 100% minimum 50mb Broadband in max 10 years from now, probably sooner.

* Alternatively to government funding, perhaps we will see Eircom run schemes where small communities come together and fund the gap themselves to bring VDSL to their areas.

If Eircom start using those 16 to 24 post mini vdsal dslams that can be mounted on telephone poles, then it may become quiet feasible to reach the vast majority of homes with VDSL.

Quiet exciting really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

justryan wrote: »
    So I take it your an engineer with Eircom? Can you tell me if there is any prospect of fibre rolling out in my area in the near future if I give you the location?

OP doesn't say it in this thread, I think. However, his/her first post 2 years ago admits that they are en eircom engie. From that day, about 90% of his/her posts were eircom related, specifically broadband. for the past 2 or 3 weeks, ALL of their posts where eircom eFiber related and how great it is.

I love how anonymous the internet is.

A shill by any other name.....

He openly admits he works for Eircom, so that is perfectly fine.

Eircom employees are quiet welcome to post here too as long as they stay within the rules of boards just like all other posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Eircom employees are quiet welcome to post here too as long as they stay within the rules of boards just like all other posters.

Can we just be clear on one thing:

quiet = Adjective
    Making little or no noise: "the car has a quiet, economical engine"; "I was as quiet as I could be, but he knew I was there".

quite = Adverb
    To the utmost or most absolute extent or degree; absolutely; completely: "it's quite out of the question".

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I agree 100%.

I don't see why eircom people shouldn't say this is great because it is great, it's an impressive rollout and fair is fair.

And as a long time critic of eircom:) this is the best thing to happen in Ireland in many years. It's not a perfect rollout (I look forward to every exchange in Ireland being done<g>)and there are teething problems but overall it's impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Yeah, same here. I've no problems with Eircom but it's annoying how ComReg has delayed the development even further after companies complaining. I just hope the people who have had poor services or extremely low download speeds get their installations asap and have a happy face by the end of this year. :D

bealtine wrote: »
    And as a long time critic of eircom:) this is the best thing to happen in Ireland in many years.

I would say it is the second best thing that has happened to broadband in Ireland.

The first was UPC buying Chorus and NTL and their subsequent rebuilding of the cable network and introduction of very high speed broadband.

Because lets be honest, while this rollout will end up benefitting more people then UPC, this would never have happened if it wasn't for the competition from UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

I would say it is the second best thing that has happened to broadband in Ireland.

The first was UPC buying Chorus and NTL and their subsequent rebuilding of the cable network and introduction of very high speed broadband.

Because lets be honest, while this rollout will end up benefitting more people then UPC, this would never have happened if it wasn't for the competition from UPC.

That's about it alright. Competition in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,340 ✭✭✭✭phog

Because Eircoms network was built by tax payers money. On the other hand UPC came in and ripped out the crappy old cable network originally built by Telecom Eireann * and spent 500 million of their own money replacing all the cable with new high quality BB capable cable.

* TE was the previous name for Eircom before privatisation, the cable network in Dublin was built and originally owned by TE and RTE !!

How much has the tax payer invested in the rollout of FTTC yet Eircom seem to have to allow other companies piggy back on their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

phog wrote: »
    How much has the tax payer invested in the rollout of FTTC yet Eircom seem to have to allow other companies piggy back on their network.
    :confused:

7upfree wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

That is the silliest post ever. The tax payer hasn't paid a cent for the roll out. Eircom paid it all. In terms of eircom allowing other comapnies "piggy back" on thier network, why not. Its a win win for Eircom. Someone else pays eircom to use and look after there network and deals with the customers on that network that eircom would otherwise have to pay staff to look after. Whats not to like.

leftleg wrote: »
    That is the silliest post ever. The tax payer hasn't paid a cent for the roll out. Eircom paid it all. In terms of eircom allowing other comapnies "piggy back" on thier network, why not. Its a win win for Eircom. Someone else pays eircom to use and look after there network and deals with the customers on that network that eircom would otherwise have to pay staff to look after. Whats not to like.

It was a reply to a poster who stated the reason why UPC doesn't have share their network us that they pumped 500m of their own money into it, my reply was if that's the real reason then should Eircom have to share their network.

Fwiw, I think both companies should have to share their network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If UPC hits a certain level of market share it will happen!

It happened in the mobile sector where both Vodafone & O2 were categorised as having "significant market power" and had to open their networks to MVNOs like Tesco etc

The SMP rule has certain criteria that have to be met.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

RangeR wrote: »
    OP doesn't say it in this thread, I think. However, his/her first post 2 years ago admits that they are en eircom engie. From that day, about 90% of his/her posts were eircom related, specifically broadband. for the past 2 or 3 weeks, ALL of their posts where eircom eFiber related and how great it is.

I love how anonymous the internet is.

A shill by any other name.....

Is that a big chip I see on your shoulder?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

It was a reply to a poster who stated the reason why UPC doesn't have share their network us that they pumped 500m of their own money into it, my reply was if that's the real reason then should Eircom have to share their network.

Fwiw, I think both companies should have to share their network.

Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini would appreciate your economic policies.

Let's say you own a restaurant franchise and you have restaurant locations all over Ireland; the fascist government interfered and told you, you have to share some of your restaurant locations with another restaurant franchise - the other franchises are using your buildings and equipment to profit, while the only profit you make is off the rent you charge them. The rent wouldn't be as profitable as the profit you'd make from customers.

UPC put their own money into it and they should not be forced to share it as that will be one step closer towards fascist economics akin to what was witnessed in Nazi Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Is that a big chip I see on your shoulder?:rolleyes:
    Not at all. But in fairness, most of the country has a chip on their shoulder towards eircom.

I saw a guy bigging up eFiber, saying it was "life changing". A few asked if he was eircom. There was no reply. I don't know the guy so I checked.

I thought my thank to BK saying that he was known would be enough. I guess not.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of the twisted pair telephone network, telephone poles, ducts, phone exchanges and most of the gear in them was paid for by the tax payer.

This is the really expensive part of the network. It would cost you in the region of 2 billion to build this part of the network from scratch.

While the 500m VDSL rollout is nice, it is only a fraction of the benefit Eircom derive from the tax payer paid phone network and the highest line rental in the world.

And it is this reason that other companies are also given access to this network and rightfully so.

Really when Eircom was originally created, two separate companies should have been created:

- Eircom Network who owned all the infrastructure (twisted pair wires, ducts, fibre, exchanges, etc.)
    - Eircom Retail who owned the retail customers.

Eircom Retail could then have been privatised, while Eircom Network should have been kept in government ownership, who could have continued to develop the network and give equal access to all companies to it.

This would have avoided many of the problems we have had with Broadband in Ireland and we would be about 5 years ahead of where we currently are.

Advertisement