Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting tattoos done at home!?

• 14-05-2013 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

Doing the rounds a few weeks ago, I called to one of my customers who shouted at me from her kitchen to come in. I went in to see her sitting on a chair, with her foot on another chair, and some geezer in a pair of bermudas and flip-flops (I shit you not!) tattooing her. :eek: She had a beer in one hand and a smoke in the other. She was crying with the pain and it really, really didn't look right at all. I couldn't say anything, I just said "right, leave ya to it, I'll get ya next week", and walked out. I just couldn't believe what I saw.

I was talking to her babysitter later in the week (who was spectating at the time) and asked her how it went afterward. She was saying that the guy wasn't actually a tattooist, just an artist who bought a tattoo machine. WTF?? :eek: And that while he was tattooing her, instead of smearing on Vaseline (as they do) he was wiping her foot with Dettol. Apparently it "bled like mad for ages". No wonder she was crying. Then for "after-care" he told her to use Vaseline for a week and she'd be grand.

Now, I know I'm naive (sp) to a lot of things, but does this happen much? Never heard of it/seen it before. Maybe my shock is unfounded. Anyone else come across this? Any stories similar to the above? Is this just mental or am I over-reacting?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Scratchers are everywhere, I couldn't tell you how many times I've been invited to a 'tattoo party', where there's one tattoo artist for about 5-10 people in 1 night. Honestly, it's just not my bag. It can't be hygienic, and in such a short space of time there's no way you're gonna get a good, detailed tattoo. Granted, there are definitely exceptions to this (people that have stationary studios set up in their own home, for example) but it's something i'd always be skeptical of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dettol? Would that not be massively painful? Jesus.

I've heard of it but never heard of anyone with first hand experience like this. I'd love to see the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

That sounds painful as fook! That's where you'd love to be McBain, Tattoo Police and rip yer man's arms off!!

"Scratchers" is a cool name for it though Cupcakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

When my niece was 15 her ex bf's friend tattooed his name on her ankle in his house. Would love to know who this "tattoo artist" was and tattoo his face with a warnig for others to stay well clear from.

Saying that, if it's a pro and they have the right gear and are clean I don't see an issue.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

That's fookin' horrendous, but unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to stop it. I've nothing against people who dedicate a back room to set up a tattoo studio, as long as they have the right sterilisation equipment and keep the room as a studio. That's much different to someone calling up to yer house to tattoo ye in yer kitchen, feckin' disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

What I've never understood is people who let it be done to them I know a lot of people are ignorant of the hygiene, cross contamination etc. and I know a lot don't realise that Ireland is completely free of regulations when it comes to body modifications but surely they must realise anyone willing to tattoo you in your kitchen isn't going to give you a good tattoo.

A friend told me once that some of his friends had a bet (forget the specifics) and that the loser had to get a tattoo saying he lost said bet (like I said I forget the specifics but it was called the something challenge). Another friend then bought a tattoo machine and began practicing on himself. 'Doodled' all over his arm and tattooed a friends name on his leg. Could not believe it when I heard. Still these were lads who were like fifteen-seventeen. You'd think adults would have more sense than to let a scratcher near them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Like K_B says, the general public are so ignorant when it comes to tattoos and getting them. We're different cos we have an interest in the art, but a lot of people haven't a clue, and then ruin it for the rest of us when they start showing off and moaning about the crappy tattoo they got in their kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

All these people care about is that it's cheap. Then they go mental if the person doesn't do the tattoo right, what were you thinking getting someone to come to your bloody house to do a tattoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Fcuk me Dettol :eek: That hurts like fcuk when you even put it on a graze!!

Never understand these people. Saw someone on facebook advertising it along with pictures of what can only be described as hideous tattoos. Yet, people still went back. Morons!

As has been said, it's a lack of education about tattoos in the general public. A lot of people don't know what can happen when a tattoo isn't done in clean, sterile conditions. They just see a cheap price tag and dive straight in. If the demand wasn't there scratchers wouldn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A while ago someone I knew liked a picture of one of there friends getting a tattoo, had a look and was horrfied by what I say first of all that tattoo was an absolute mess possibly the worst I have seen, then there were pics of you man doing it, in one pic he is holding the tattoo machine against her back while also in the same hand is a half smoked joint.

As cupcake said it's people's lack of education on tattoo's and people thinking about money theres nothing more annying to me when someone tells me ah I know some bloke who will do a sleeve for 200 quid or something all there looking at is the cost regardless of the final outcome and the fact it's there for life.

If someone is tattooing from home is well trained and has a proper set up I've no problem, for my piece with Remis the last three sittings were in his house and it was fine because he had a room set up just like a mini studio but sadly most are the type who arrive at your house charge yeh 30 euro and leave yeh with a complete and utter mess. People are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

That's a pet hate of mine too!!! I've spent a lot of money on my tattoos and hate when people criticise saying joe-soap up the road would have done it for half the price!!

253828.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jesus, that story got worse and worse as I read down. Beer, scratcher, dettol, Vaseline for after care. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Dettol :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I haven't been tattooed out of a house but it wouldn't put me off so long as everything was clean etc. I reckon I know enough at this stage to spot anything wrong, and all good artists always show you that everything is sealed/sterile as they're setting up and you're in front of them anyway.

That's the most ridiculous scenario I've ever heard of though, absolutely stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Was the dettol at least diluted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

January wrote: »
    All these people care about is that it's cheap. Then they go mental if the person doesn't do the tattoo right, what were you thinking getting someone to come to your bloody house to do a tattoo!

I bumped into her today and asked her how she got on, pretended I wasn't talking to her babysitter. She said she was disgusted with how it turned out and she's going to get it lasered off. FFS, what did she expect!! :rolleyes: I'll be out to her on Thursday or Friday, I'll see if she lets me take a pic. :pac:

And yes, you read it right - Dettol. And not diluted either!! :eek:

I bumped into her today and asked her how she got on, pretended I wasn't talking to her babysitter. She said she was disgusted with how it turned out and she's going to get it lasered off. FFS, what did she expect!! :rolleyes: I'll be out to her on Thursday or Friday, I'll see if she lets me take a pic. :pac:

Did she say how much she paid for it in the end?

P_1 wrote: »
    Did she say how much she paid for it in the end?

I didn't ask, but as I'm a debt collector for a loan she's repaying, I doubt she'll tell me. :pac: But I WILL ask, I'm a cheeky hoor like that!! :D

I mean.......COME ON!!!!

• Advertisement

I mean.......COME ON!!!!

I know....right?? FFS! What a dumbass!! :rolleyes:

Dettol, smokes and open cans during a tattooing session is just asking for either an infection or a brutal looking tattoo, or possibly both

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

tumblr_m8cv2zpjKl1qegw8v.jpg

That'd sum up my reaction :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

There are LOADS of people who work in the shopping centre I work in, who have been tattooed by scratchers. Their tattoos are pretty much all awful.

What písses me off is they ask how much mine all cost, and I'll be like 'a hundred, hundred and fifty, a hundred, a hundred and fifty,' while pointing at each one (mine are all pretty small, so haven't been very expensive, average prices) and they tell me I'm fcuking crazy paying that much when their mates do them for 20 euro an hour in their houses.

One of these days, I'll tell them to take a good look at their piece of shít tattoos, then look at mine. Mine are well done, and look good. Theirs look like my dog took a marker in her mouth and ran around rubbing it on them.

Unfortunately, we can't educate people that refuse to be educated. I HAVE managed to convince my younger sister to go to Skin City or Zulu instead of a scratcher, though. That took months of work, but she's agreed, finally. :D

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    There are LOADS of people who work in the shopping centre I work in, who have been tattooed by scratchers. Their tattoos are pretty much all awful.

What písses me off is they ask how much mine all cost, and I'll be like 'a hundred, hundred and fifty, a hundred, a hundred and fifty,' while pointing at each one (mine are all pretty small, so haven't been very expensive, average prices) and they tell me I'm fcuking crazy paying that much when their mates do them for 20 euro an hour in their houses.

One of these days, I'll tell them to take a good look at their piece of shít tattoos, then look at mine. Mine are well done, and look good. Theirs look like my dog took a marker in her mouth and ran around rubbing it on them.

Unfortunately, we can't educate people that refuse to be educated. I HAVE managed to convince my younger sister to go to Skin City or Zulu instead of a scratcher, though. That took months of work, but she's agreed, finally. :D

A small victory, but a victory nonetheless :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

NothingMan wrote: »
    When my niece was 15 her ex bf's friend tattooed his name on her ankle in his house. Would love to know who this "tattoo artist" was and tattoo his face with a warnig for others to stay well clear from.
    You do have his name... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

endacl wrote: »
    You do have his name... :P

Ah you know what I meant. Felt sorry for her next bf having someone else's name on his gf. It's now a big dirty cover up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres my take on it having been called a "scratcher" in the past.

1.The fact that people can pick up a machine for 20 quid on ebay doesn't make them a tattoo artist.

2.Kitchens are out.Smoking during is out.Drinking is out.

Ive set up a small office here in the house that's my tattoo room.Its kept clean and no one is allowed into it.Its locked when Im not there.

I have never ever tattooed anyone else as I don't think Im ready to take that step yet and if / when I do it will be for free and the person getting the tattoo will be told that its for "practising" purposes and not to expect the Mona Lisa.

I have done first aid courses including BBP and Infection control.I have an arrangement with my local pharmacy to get rid of my sharps in their sharps bin.
    I use only disposable tubes so I don't have to worry about autoclaves etc.

Now onto the Dettol.It does have a use in tattooing but not for cleaning up!!!

Lately Ive been concentrating on the machine side of things,building machines,rebuilding machines etc. This side of the tattooing industry appeals to me more than actual tattooing and I can see myself getting more into that.But the thing is you cant test a machine without actually using it.Yeah you can go by numbers but I can have two different machines set up in the exact same way and they wont hit the same.

Ive also been asked to tattoo at a tattoo party with someone that does it most weekends.Something that Ive flatly refused.
    The basic idea is that you offer smaller tattoos that can be done in a single session like say small tribals,flowers etc and they would no bother to me but and heres the big but......

Unless someone has a room that been sterilised top to bottom and left that way set up for a tattoo artist theres no way it can be done cleanly and safely.You are going to have people walking in and having a nose at whats going on and that's not hygienic at all. There are other logistical issues that would make it a nightmare and anyone that tattoos at these "parties" should have their hands cut off so they cant go it.

There's a huge difference between a scratcher and a tattoo artist who has a home studio. I'd have little issue with going to an artist that had a dedicated room in his house, once he had a good portfolio and I was happy with the hygiene and cleanliness of the studio. I'd kick my friends in the shins for resorting to a scratcher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

That's gonna cost her an absolute fortune to get lasered, does lasering even work on new tattoos? In less than 20 sessions like.

Advertisement