Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Asafo Aumua is a freak of nature. Can easily outsprint most backs and has a wicked sidestep.

He was the u20 hooker this year right? As long as he does the basics of the position well, he could have a long AB career. I remember when Coles first appeared he was great with the ball in hand but it took him a while to cement his spot as his core duties weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Delighted for Jack Goodhue, he's been immense. A couple of surprising calls, but I'm disappointed for Richie Mo'unga - he's been absolutely incredible. I reckon he'll be a much better backup than Sopoaga come world cup time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Delighted for Jack Goodhue, he's been immense. A couple of surprising calls, but I'm disappointed for Richie Mo'unga - he's been absolutely incredible. I reckon he'll be a much better backup than Sopoaga come world cup time.

A few of the surprising callous are ones for the future for the barbarians game and the game with France xv (second team possibly played on the Tuesday after the test match).

It's not the smallest squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Definitely a transitional squad. I've said that NZ aren't the team they were for quite some time now and it looks like Hansen is taking action with this squad. They'll need to develop a few new players for them to be as dominant as they were.

They're looking relatively inexperienced and light in a few areas there for a month long tour. It's a shame they're not playing England. With that said, even France or Wales will be looking at this tour and thinking they might be able to beat NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    Definitely a transitional squad. I've said that NZ aren't the team they were for quite some time now and it looks like Hansen is taking action with this squad. They'll need to develop a few new players for them to be as dominant as they were.

They're looking relatively inexperienced and light in a few areas there for a month long tour. It's a shame they're not playing England. With that said, even France or Wales will be looking at this tour and thinking they might be able to beat NZ.

Even for NZ depth is being tested. Moody, Franks, Retallick, Ben Smith, Dagg, NMS, Jordie Barrett all out.

Don’t think nz have been too flash this season overall and most nz fans consider the midfield a mess.

I reckon France are the most likely to knock over nz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Buer wrote: »

Even for NZ depth is being tested. Moody, Franks, Retallick, Ben Smith, Dagg, NMS, Jordie Barrett all out.

Don’t think nz have been too flash this season overall and most nz fans consider the midfield a mess.

I reckon France are the most likely to knock over nz.
    Guy Noves must be under pressure. They were incredibly poor against a South African team that hadn't been playing all that well. I don't think they were in good form before that either. Pretty sure the French rugby president set the target for 3/4 wins in november. And with two tests against NZ it's a tough ask, so I imagine they'll be quite motivated. 
    The NZ midfield hasn't filled their fans with confidence. SBW has been inconsistent and Crotty's been making more mistakes than you'd normally expect of him. They don't really have anyone putting pressure on them - Laumape hasn't carried his super rugby form into the internationals, and ALB hasn't been anywhere near as good as last season. It's all a bit uninspiring really. I thought Jordie would break into senior rugby as a 12, so I was hoping for a Barrett/Goodhue combo come 2023. But it looks like he'll be staying in fullback, and I'm not really sure about any quality up-and-coming 12's.

Only one test between France and the ABs. The other is just a tour match against a French XV.

I'm looking forward to seeing Goodhue at this level. And Aumua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think they will be alright against the NH teams this Autumn - fingers crossed - but it's a bit sad to be back to 0 in the consecutive unbeaten games stakes. No harm to 'appear' to be floundering this far out from the next RWC and lull other sides into a false sense of believing that they aren't the force that they were in 2015.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Didactic Ninja

Aumua time

Thought I should dust this thread off and give it a bump as the 2 time defending world champions begin their 2018 season with a match against France at Eden Park tomorrow. The teams are:

All Blacks:
    1. Joe Moody
    2. Codie Taylor
    3. Owen Franks
    4. Samuel Whitelock – captain
    5. Scott Barrett
    6. Liam Squire
    7. Sam Cane
    8. Luke Whitelock
    9. Aaron Smith
    10. Beauden Barrett
    11. Rieko Ioane
    12. Ryan Crotty
    13. Anton Lienert-Brown
    14. Ben Smith
    15. Jordie Barrett

Substitutes:
    16. Nathan Harris 17. Karl Tu’inukuafe – new cap 18. Ofa Tuungafasi 19. Vaea Fifita 20. Ardie Savea 21. TJ Perenara 22. Damian McKenzie 23. Ngani Laumape

France:
    1.Dany Priso,
    2. Camille Chat,
    3.Uini Atonio,
    4.Paul Gabrillagues,
    5.Yoann Maestri,
    6.Judicael Cancoriet,
    7.Kevin Gourdon,
    8.Fabien Sanconnie,
    9.Morgan Parra,
    10.Anthony Belleau,
    11.Remy Grosso,
    12.Geoffrey Doumayrou,
    13.Mathieu Bastareaud,
    14.Teddy Thomas,
    15. Maxime Medard

Substitutes: 16.Adrien Pelissie, 17.Cyril Baille, 18.Rabah Slimani, 19.Bernard Le Roux, 20.Alexandre Lapandry, 21.Baptiste Serin, 22.Jules Plisson, 23.Gael Fickou

France were the last team to beat the ABs on Eden Park.
    For the first time ever, 3 brothers (the Barretts) will start for the ABs.
    French prop Antonio and AB sub prop Tu'inukuafe played in the same First XV at Wesley College.
    4 years ago Tu'inukuafe had stopped playing rugby and ballooned to 175kg. Doctor told him he needed to lose weight or die so he started playing again. Made the North Harbour team last year, got called up to the Cheifs as injury cover and is now making his AB debut. There's hope for all of us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Depending on where you're coming from, how does Scott Barrett get on with the other two brothers playing in the glamour positions while he does the donkey work? :D

Advertisement