Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Blacks Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I had to go a long way back to find this thread (sorry mods) but I didn't think this match was worth a thread on its own. Here is the ALl Blacks team vs. the Seppos.

Starting XV (tests in brackets)
    1. Joe Moody (5)
    2. Nathan Harris (1)
    3. Charlie Faumuina (22)
    4. Jeremy Thrush (4)
    5. Patrick Tuipulotu (5)
    6. Victor Vito (24)
    7. Sam Cane (21)
    8. Kieran Read (captain) (69)
    9. TJ Perenara (7)
    10. Aaron Cruden (35)
    11. Charles Piutau (11)
    12. Sonny Bill Williams (19)
    13. Ryan Crotty (9)
    14. Cory Jane (52)
    15. Israel Dagg (43)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (120)
    17. Wyatt Crockett (33)
    18. Ben Franks (37)
    19. Brodie Retallick (33)
    20. Liam Messam (35)
    21. Augustine Pulu *
    22. Daniel Carter (100)
    23. Julian Savea (28)

He's back! No, not the preening peacock SBW, but Din Cada.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    All Black Maori team announced for test v Japan

New Zealand Maori:
    15 Robbie Robinson,
    14 Matt Proctor,
    13 Jason Emery,
    12 Charlie Ngatai (c)
    11 James Lowe,
    10 Ihaia West,
    9 Chris Smylie,
    8 Elliot Dixon,
    7 Sean Polwart,
    6 Blade Thomson,
    5 Hayden Triggs,
    4 Tom Franklin,
    3 Mike Kainga,
    2 Ash Dixon,
    1 Chris Eves.

Replacements:
    16 Codie Taylor,
    17 Brendon Edmonds,
    18 Nick Barrett,
    19 Nick Crosswell,
    20 Dan Pryor,
    21 Jamison Gibson-Park,
    22 Marty McKenzie,
    23 Nehe Milner-Skudder.

Decent Highlanders representation with Ash + Elliot Dixon, Franklin, Emery, Pryor, Edmonds.

Bookies have ABMs +21 on this one, which may be a tad generous given japans improvement in recent times, especially in the set piece area.

Decent side. Good to see Robbie Robinson back, his career was unde threat with some hip problem I think. Don't think he got a Super contract though which is a pity. Great player when injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That AiG side should waltz up and down over the Americans. I wonder if they'd ease off?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Smylie and West will be a great combination as well. hope west has a stormer!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Smylie and West will be a great combination as well. hope west has a stormer!

West is the new Carlos Spencer. Finally the Blues saw the light. His goalkicking was rubbish in the ITM though. Pity Kirwan didn't see sense a way back and install Gareth Anscombe "dead-eye dick" at 15.

As you say this game could be close if the Japanese forwards match up, but if not, I reckon there's enough talent there to cut the Japanese to ribbons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Swiwi. wrote: »
    West is the new Carlos Spencer. Finally the Blues saw the light. His goalkicking was rubbish in the ITM though. Pity Kirwan didn't see sense a way back and install Gareth Anscombe "dead-eye dick" at 15.

As you say this game could be close if the Japanese forwards match up, but if not, I reckon there's enough talent there to cut the Japanese to ribbons.

I'm assuming that game isn't on the tele anywhere in this part of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »

Havent seen anywhere thats showing it.

molloyjh wrote: »

Hmmm. Looks like it's on Sky TV NZ & Fox (soccer) Plus (!) in the US. It's 5 in the morning on Saturday, I won't be getting up for it...and I'm pretty sure you won't be either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think Sky advertised it last week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Decent side. Good to see Robbie Robinson back, his career was unde threat with some hip problem I think. Don't think he got a Super contract though which is a pity. Great player when injury free.

Any word on Hames not making the squad? Seemed to play well for Highlanders this year and made Maori last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Hmmm. Looks like it's on Sky TV NZ & Fox (soccer) Plus (!) in the US. It's 5 in the morning on Saturday, I won't be getting up for it...and I'm pretty sure you won't be either!!

Sky+!

Any word on Hames not making the squad? Seemed to play well for Highlanders this year and made Maori last summer.

Good point. Looks like he just wasn't selected. He was great around the field for the Highlanders but not sure about his scrum work just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Amazing that this has sold out. There is only ever going to be one result.

By the sounds of it, half of the American supporters will be rooting for New Zealand anyway so that won't bother them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Good point. Looks like he just wasn't selected. He was great around the field for the Highlanders but not sure about his scrum work just yet.

Yeah I met him when I was over there a few years ago and it was the opposite, his scrumming was his forte. I think he could potentially play All Blacks, maybe not in the World Cup but after perhaps.

Yeah I met him when I was over there a few years ago and it was the opposite, his scrumming was his forte. I think he could potentially play All Blacks, maybe not in the World Cup but after perhaps.

I think the AB squad is pretty much set in stone for 2015. But 2016 should be the usual clean-out and a brave new world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

To be fair, you could say that about most teams the All Blacks play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I've got a couple of Welsh mates living in Iowa and there all off to the game making a weekend of it. It's bringing in all sorts of rugby fans.

For years and years Ireland had no chance. and still don't if they haven't a full team, of beating the ABs and it always sold out so no surprise here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/63998574/De-Barra-Arrogant-media-and-fans-do-little-for-All-Black-cause

Brilliant article imo and I agree with all of it.
    After living in NZ for the last year, I found a lot of there supporters are just pure arrogant when it come to the all blacks and ignorant when it comes to any other team.
    I admire the all blacks hugely and after attending plenty of super rugby and itm games this past year I am even more in awe of there skill levels throughout the levels.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/63998574/De-Barra-Arrogant-media-and-fans-do-little-for-All-Black-cause

After living in NZ for the last year, I found a lot of there supporters are just pure arrogant when it come to the all blacks and ignorant when it comes to any other team.
    I admire the all blacks hugely and after attending plenty of super rugby and itm games this past year I am even more in awe of there skill levels throughout the levels.

Yeah its a pretty fair article. To be honest, I can't stand most of the NZ rugby media. The writers for the most part just seem to want to annoy people and get a re-action.
    As for the fans - you say arrogant, I say confident :D (though in honesty its probably arrogance).

The fan ignorance comes from the fact most of them would have never watched a Pro 12, Heineken Cup, Top 14 or Premiership match. In fact most wouldn't have seen any of the NH national sides except when they play NZ or at a RWC. People don't tend to get up at 3am on a Sunday to watch the 6 Nations. A few highlights in the afternoon or on the 6 o'clock news.
    A lot of their "knowledge" of NH teams/players come from NZ media and we all saw recently how dumb they are with their Sexton comments.

Actually, have you ever listened to Sportstalk Radio? Most of the callers are pig-ignorant, know sweet FA about the game and just talk a load of ****e. I used to avoid it because it just made me angry. So yeah the article was spot on.

Yeah its a pretty fair article. To be honest, I can't stand most of the NZ rugby media. The writers for the most part just seem to want to annoy people and get a re-action.
    As for the fans - you say arrogant, I say confident :D (though in honesty its probably arrogance).

The fan ignorance comes from the fact most of them would have never watched a Pro 12, Heineken Cup, Top 14 or Premiership match. In fact most wouldn't have seen any of the NH national sides except when they play NZ or at a RWC. People don't tend to get up at 3am on a Sunday to watch the 6 Nations. A few highlights in the afternoon or on the 6 o'clock news.
    A lot of their "knowledge" of NH teams/players come from NZ media and we all saw recently how dumb they are with their Sexton comments.

Actually, have you ever listened to Sportstalk Radio? Most of the callers are pig-ignorant, know sweet FA about the game and just talk a load of ****e. I used to avoid it because it just made me angry. So yeah the article was spot on.

+1. It's embarrasssing. But as noted above a lot of it comes from the fact that NH rugby is at awful times for viewing in NZ, and also that the weather is often good in NZ, and people have other things to do, like go to the beach!

I think the public have an excuse...but the media I hold to a much higher standard since it's their job to know their rugby, and not rely on tired clichés etc. There are unfortunately very few NZ media commentators who can talk rugby with the patch removed.

Usually, every 4 years about quarter or semi-final time, the NZ media get a rude shock...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Only catched the radio programme a few times but used to watch "the crowd goes wild" with Mark richarson and Andrew mulligan the whole time. They were pretty bad to listen to when it came to the all blacks playing test matches. Nearly always predicted they would win by over 20 points every game no matter who the opposition was.
    Hilarious program all the same though.

Completely agree with the statements regarding getting to view most game in the NH. Last weekend was pretty much the first time I got to see munster this year.

Only catched the radio programme a few times but used to watch "the crowd goes wild" with Mark richarson and Andrew mulligan the whole time. They were pretty bad to listen to when it came to the all blacks playing test matches. Nearly always predicted they would win by over 20 points every game no matter who the opposition was.
    Hilarious program all the same though.

Completely agree with the statements regarding getting to view most game in the NH. Last weekend was pretty much the first time I got to see munster this year.

The Crowd Goes Wild is more a comedy show than a sports show. Bit like the old Sportscafe and Pulp Sport. You couldn't take anything they said too seriously. Half the time they all seemed drunk or stoned. Its the "serious" news media that piss me off more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Can't believe Savea hasn't been banned from the game already, repeatedly tackling players without the ball :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Announced today that Dan Carter is retiring from international rugby post RWC and he will be joining Racing Metro.

Announced today that Dan Carter is retiring from international rugby post RWC and he will be joining Racing Metro.

I have images of your horse and his messenger boy getting stuck in the mud somewhere...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I have images of your horse and his messenger boy getting stuck in the mud somewhere...

I think his pigeon had some bad bird seed.

2015: Tony Woodcock, Charlie Faumauina, Tom Taylor, Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam, Sam Cane, Steven Luatua, Luke Whitelock, Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Ben Afeaki, Brodie Retallick, Jeremy Thrush, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Colin Slade, Ma'a Nonu, Francis Saili, Julian Savea, Charles Piutau, Conrad Smith, Victor Vito

2016: Aaron Smith, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen, Dominic Bird, Matt Todd, Dane Coles, Luke Romano, SBW

2017: Kieran Read, Owen Franks, Israel Dagg, Sam Whitelock, Aaron Cruden, Ben Smith*, Cory Jane

*unless he activates his Munster clause :P

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

munster clause?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster clause?

just a running joke that ben smith is supposed to be joining munster ;)

Rieko Ioane

You heard it here first on boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Rieko Ioane

You heard it here first on boards.ie

Any relation to Digby?

Isn't Digby originally a Kiwi?

Morf wrote: »
    Any relation to Digby?

Isn't Digby originally a Kiwi?

Hey Morf, yeah I wondered that myself. But I don't think so. Digby was born in NZ, you're right, but left at 2 for the country whose name shall not be spoken.

There are lots of players who are decent at 7s and don't make it at 15s, but I'd be confident for Rieko as he played 13 not wing for Auckland Grammar and the NZ schoolboys side. To be only 17 years old and score 6 tries for the All Black 7s on debut including 2 in the final shows he has talent, and I highlighted him here, more for myself than anyone else, in case he ends up making that 2017 AB side to face the Lions. It's not unheard of for NZ to play teenage wingers, so it's a possibility.

Should be interesting times to follow NZ selections next year with Woodcock, Mealamu, McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith all gone. As you can imagine, I'm keeping a close eye on the NZRFU contacting process, there are 17 current ABs off contract at end of season many of whom I hope will stay in NZ to form the backbone of the 2017 team.

Here's some highlights of Rieko at the 7s in any case if you're interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc8K9m08Eto

Should be interesting times to follow NZ selections next year with Woodcock, Mealamu, McCaw, Carter, Nonu, Smith all gone.

Woodcock is leaving?? I hadn't heard that. Where is he going?

Woodcock is leaving?? I hadn't heard that. Where is he going?

Not confirmed but supposed to be simply retiring.

Not confirmed but supposed to be simply retiring.

I hope not. He is the Kiwi John Hayes. After that RWC final he should keep playing till he's 50.

News from the ABs that Tongan born and raised, malakai fekitoa, has signed a new 2 year contract with the All Blacks & Highlanders.

Now if that's not stealing an islander player I don't know what is!! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

News from the ABs that Tongan born and raised, malakai fekitoa, has signed a new 2 year contract with the All Blacks & Highlanders.

Now if that's not a stealing an islander player I don't know what is!! ;-)

In new zealand since he was 16.

In new zealand since he was 16.

And he's only 22 now, I haven't lived in Ireland since I was 18 but consider myself very much Irish! Besides he says himself he's born and raised in Tonga and refers to it as 'home'.

And he's only 22 now, I haven't lived in Ireland since I was 18 but consider myself very much Irish! Besides he says himself he's born and raised in Tonga and refers to is as 'home'.

It doesn't really matter to me if he considers himself a Tongan, plenty of players who have played for Ireland would consider themselves to be from a different country. Rhys Ruddock or Kieron Marmion might consider themselves Welsh but I still don't really have an issue with them representing Irish rugby, they are very much players I would consider to be representative of Irish rugby far more so than they are of Welsh rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 irishyouths9

It doesn't really matter to me if he considers himself a Tongan, plenty of players who have played for Ireland would consider themselves to be from a different country. Rhys Ruddock or Kieron Marmion might consider themselves Welsh but I still don't really have an issue with them representing Irish rugby, they are very much players I would consider to be representative of Irish rugby far more so than they are of Welsh rugby.

Marmion/Ruddock have irish parentage.

Malakai Fekitoa moved to nz when he was 16 for purely rugby reasons, he is not like Ruddock or Marmion.
    No different to project players which are making a joke of international rugby

Marmion/Ruddock have irish parentage.

Malakai Fekitoa moved to nz when he was 16 for purely rugby reasons, he is not like Ruddock or Marmion.

He moved when he was 16. He wasn't a project player. I don't like project players but this is something entirely different to that.

100% with you on this.

Those Irish players have very strong Irish roots. Ruddocks mother is from Ireland while the WRU & players ran his father out of a job he would hardly have ever played for them. I'm going way off the point. Fekitoa is a total steal from Tonga, the ABs get a bad rap which isn't always deserved but with this player it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I honestly feel player can be broken down into 6 categories.

Nationals: Players who were born and grew up in the nation they play for. Example Sexton, BOD etc etc, most players.

Semi-nationals: Players who moved very young and did all education / rugby in the nation they player for. Faletau, Vunipola, most of the Kiwi Islanders etc

Mummy rule: Players who have a parent from the nation they are representing, example Ruddock

Granny Rule: Players who have a grand parent in the nation they are representing. Example Boss and Bent

Naturalised (residency): Players who have lived in a country for 3 years, but moved there with no motive to represent. Example Andy Ward.

Project players players who actively brought / went to the country they represent in order to get them naturalized. Example. Payne, Strauss, Stander, Heenan

I only have an issue with the last category, and at that, I have no real issue so long as they show commitment to that nation. Payne is fine, Flutey not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ruddock was born in Ireland and afaik attended primary school here at least

100% with you on this.

Those Irish players have very strong Irish roots. Ruddocks mother is from Ireland while the WRU & players ran his father out of a job he would hardly have ever played for them. I'm going way off the point. Fekitoa is a total steal from Tonga, the ABs get a bad rap which isn't always deserved but with this player it is.

What involvement did Fekitoa have with Tonga before he moved to New Zealand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 irishyouths9

What involvement did Fekitoa have with Tonga before he moved to New Zealand?

He got a scholarship to play rubgy and move to new zealand based on his performances playing for tonga 7's when they were in new zealand.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I honestly feel player can be broken down into 6 categories.

Nationals: Players who were born and grew up in the nation they play for. Example Sexton, BOD etc etc, most players. Most of the Kiwi Islanders.

Semi-nationals: Players who moved very young and did all education / rugby in the nation they player for. Faletau, Vunipola, most of the Kiwi Islanders etc

Even in the 21st century colonial stereotyping/racism is still widespread. White skin = Kiwi. Brown skin = Samoan/Fijian/Tongan.

In 100 years time, all the black kids descended from arrivals in the 90s/00s will still be viewed as Nigerian and not Irish I'd be guessing, even though they speak like BOD or ROG or Henshaw or Best.

I dunno, do Americans call all the kids with freckles and orange hair Irish or American? (the worst of stereotypes, very few Irish fit this description as ye all well know)

The debate's been done before, still rears it's head on an annual basis.

Fekitoa is an exception rather than a rule, even I have some mixed feelings, but it was all of his doing, not NZ's poaching if you look into the details. In fact he was extremely proactive, despite his initial poorish grasp of English. I do wonder whether Jared & Isaac consider themselves Kiwis playing for Ireland, Irish Kiwis, or simply Irish. Do they have Irish passports?

Sincere apologies if I misunderstand you errlloyd, but if you make the trip downunder in 2017 for the Lions tour, you'll see Auckland is about 20% Kiwis of Pacific Island descent, but that with their genetics being ideal for rugby, they probably represent 40%+ of rugby players in the region.

He got a scholarship to play rubgy and move to new zealand based on his performances playing for tonga 7's when they were in new zealand.

Incorrect, I'm not sure if you are repeating false information or fabricating it. Fekitoa requested a trial at Wesley College and was given a scholarship based on the trial.
    I'm not defending the selection of someone who has lived in NZ for barely 5 years but I would think an Irish rugby forum would be a strange place to cast aspersions on other countries poaching. Jared Payne's picture appears beside the dictionary definition for poach. If Payne is a 10 on the scale then Fekitoa is a 7 max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I think a lot of the issue is the corrupt and poor management of rugby in the islands.

Fiji has an unelected military government NZ (and possibly OZ too) refuse to deal with.

Manu Samoa union have been siphoning off cash and even the rep team's gear for ages.

Can't specifically speak for Tonga, Cook Islands etc. but the parents and players themselves go to NZ to make a life in a western style democracy where rugby talent can get them a much better life.

I think the first and second generation islanders may be pushing it far more than NZRU 'poaching' the island talent.

For those curious, here is a list of NZ-born current All Blacks of non-Maori Polynesian descent:

Mealamu
    Famuina
    Tuipolotu
    Vito
    Nonu
    Savea
    Piutau

Leaving only Kaino (moved aged 4 from American Samoa) and Fekitoa. So Fekitoa is the exception, not the rule. Lomu and Umaga were also born in NZ, as were 15 members of the Samoan 2011 RWC squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement