Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious about quick weight loss on first days of diet

Options
  • 14-05-2013 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

So I started a simple 'watch the intake' diet. It's only been 4 days and I've dropped 3kg. I just wanted to check this is normal. I know weight fluctuates but I didn't think it changed that much.

I'm pretty fit and go running every so often and cycle to work most days. Despite this I have very slowly put on 10kg in the last couple of years from 66kg to 76kg. This is because I eat too much, not bad things, just a lot. To tackle this I've decided to try and change my habits with food (I eat when I'm bored) and start with lowering the calorie intake to 1400 (My BMR is 1560 and I've had to stop exercising for a few weeks due to knee damage).

On a side note: I know I shouldn't be focusing on weight - I am also keeping track of bust/waist/hip measurements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Yeh usually people lose the most amount of weight on their first week.

What height and weight are you?

Did you use the stickies here to work out your BMR?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

I'm 175cm and was 76kg when I started on Saturday but 73kg this morning.

I checked the stickies here for the BMR as well as quite a few other calculators and 1560 was the most common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Going by body weight in lbs (160) x12 for weight loss I'm getting 1920 calories a day.

You might be eating too little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Most likely most of that 3kg is water weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's probably just glycogen depletion & as glycogen requires 3-4 parts water to store glucose in this way, a 5kg "weight" loss could be a 1kg glycogen loss & a 4kg water loss.

This can happen without ANY fat loss taking place.

Once your glycogen stores have been depleted, you can then begin to dip into your fat stores to get rid of some fat

This process requires the hormone leptin, however, this hormone is related to glycogen levels so it will begin to drop in a negative feedback loop which will slow down fat loss.

This is where the once weekly, high carb cheat meal idea comes in, reset glycogen stores & get leptin levels back up so fat loss can continue at a reasonable level.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Thanks Inspector - I'd heard about the water loss but never about glycogen stores. I'll definitely keep that in mind and be sure to try keep glycogen stores and leptin levels steady.

Advertisement