Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedaling wrong

Options
  • 14-05-2013 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I've been cycling to work for a few years now and in February the office moved so a 6km cycle twice a day became a 15km cycle twice a day. I had to cut back on the days I cycled because it was just too much, yet still I found there was a lot of strain on my knees. They ached and became very weak.

Last week it was too much and I could barely walk up stairs for a day so I'm taking a break from the cycling.

I know a physio therapist and she suggested that I might be pedaling wrong. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I didn't realise there was a wrong way to pedal?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Aim for a cadence of about 90rpm. You should be able to spin the pedals rather than pushing and straining with a tough gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Knee pain + problems walking up stairs = bike fit problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

saddle could be to high/low, a bike fit would help this

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭AlreadyHome

I've always found if my saddle's too low, it pushes a lot of the strain towards the front of my quads/knees.

This, allied with what someone said above about too low a cadence, could be putting too much strain on your knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Raising my saddle 5mm fixed an ache I was getting in the front of one knee after 40km or so.

You are fortunate, in one sense, that you have a longer commute. You can make small incremental changes every day (twice a day!) and see how it affects you. Try not to change too many things at once (ideally one thing at a time), and also realise you might be still sore from yesterday's cycle when you are assessing your alterations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A bit fit will cost circa €100.
    Same price as 2 or 3 trips to physio.

Given OP's level of knowledge, getting a bike fit might be cheaper and more comfortable in long run rather than DIY fit

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Yeah, I might have to go in for a bike fit - I wouldn't trust myself to do it right. I have had the sense that my saddle has dropped.

Any recommendations for around Dublin?

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Yeah, I might have to go in for a bike fit - I wouldn't trust myself to do it right. I have had the sense that my saddle has dropped.

Any recommendations for around Dublin?

Before you go for a bike fit, tell us a bit more about what kind of cycling you do and the type of bike. I think a bike fit is not yet needed. You can do plenty of tweaks yourself before going to that expense. Usually (although not exclusively) bike fits are for those doing a lot of miles for racing purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Bet this is a saddle too low + gear too high problem.

Raam wrote: »
    Before you go for a bike fit, tell us a bit more about what kind of cycling you do and the type of bike. I think a bike fit is not yet needed. You can do plenty of tweaks yourself before going to that expense. Usually (although not exclusively) bike fits are for those doing a lot of miles for racing purposes.

I cycle 15km from one end of the city to another - it's flat most of the way with a couple of hills but the last hill is quite long (a few km) and can be pretty steep at parts. I usually shift my position and start pedalling with the front of my feet for more leverage when I'm finding it tough.
    I was doing this journey twice a day, two times a week for while. I try to take it easy, at about 15kmh. My bike is Treck300.

• Advertisement

I cycle 15km from one end of the city to another - it's flat most of the way with a couple of hills but the last hill is quite long (a few km) and can be pretty steep at parts. I usually shift my position and start pedalling with the front of my feet for more leverage when I'm finding it tough.
    I was doing this journey twice a day, two times a week for while. I try to take it easy, at about 15kmh. My bike is Treck300.

Do you change into an easier gear on inclines?

Raam wrote: »
    Do you change into an easier gear on inclines?

Yep, I drop right down... but maybe I need to drop further.

Yep, I drop right down... but maybe I need to drop further.

Put it into the easiest gear which you have. If you are spinning out (pedalling way too fast) then go into a slightly harder gear.

How high is your saddle? Sitting on the saddle, your leg should be slightly bent when your foot is at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Also, pedal with the ball of your foot rather than your heel. Maybe you do some of this stuff already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

See just shows how much of a Fred I am my understanding was that the only correct answer to the OP's question was new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Say if both knees at ya bike fit should help and spin the legs on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Almost certainly saddle too low I would say.

Advertisement