Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D4 accent

• 14-05-2013 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Why do people call the south dublin accent a D4 accent when the vast majority of people who speak like that come outside that post code, like blackrock, foxrock, dundrum,rathfarnham, ternure etc..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Suprisingly the majority of people I meet with D4 accents don't even come from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jamesjoyce1710

true dat, a lot of girls from tipp seem to develop it after 2 weeks in UCD

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And a lot of the D4 accent heads aren't American either :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It's the the name of the accent. It's like saying people have a bogger accent, but they don't come from the town of Bogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

why anybody? would choose to speak in such a like, manufactured? americanised accent? is what i, like dont understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Better to refer to is as the 'Dort' accent (although I'd rather not classify it as an accent, rather a stupid way of speaking).

It has a better geographical alignment with the DART rail line than the D4 postcode area and this term better mimics the ridiculous substitution of the AH sound (hat cat chat) with an OH sound (hot not what) that characterises this stupid way of speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Would still rather hear that than the "ah jayyssuus bud me bleeeedin' head wha?" Dub accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm from D4 and I don't speak like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

the two extremes are just as bad as each other. i find the D4 accent just as gut wrenching as the howya accent. also i think both of them are exaggerated by the culprits intentionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I think it's just a loose descriptive term OP, people from Clontarf or Castleknock would have the same accent as well, it gets labelled D4 as that's the first typical middle class area of Dublin that springs to people's minds.

As regards the 'howya' accent, I've no idea how they give it that grating nasal quality, can't replicate it to save my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Without the D4 accent how are Banker supposed know who they're supposed to promote?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 spot_light

fine if your actually from there , was in mayo the other day and met someone from claremorris with a D4 accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Orts inn YouCeeDee

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The D4 accent is easier to understand than the bogger accents where they try and fit the entire sentence into a single word and speak it in a single breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

snubbleste wrote: »
    Orts inn YouCeeDee

Or Orla, graduating from Orts and now working in Or Tee Eee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

it originates from Culchies coming to dublin and believing that this is the way that dubs speak from watching too much RTE at home and trying to emulate the accent to "fit in". idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

it originates from Culchies coming to dublin and believing that this is the way that dubs speak from watching too much RTE at home and trying to emulate the accent to "fit in". idiots.

Frank if it's an East - Wessht fight you're after it wont be long comin' :pac:

The "D4" accent is a head-wrecker, you get the feeling people think a little more of themselves of they say cor instead of car. It takes all sorts I s'pose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

awec wrote: »
    The D4 accent is easier to understand than the bogger accents where they try and fit the entire sentence into a single word and speak it in a single breath.

Jayzizwhachameanlikenoonetriestotalklikethatlike?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nothing wrong at all with the D4 accent, opens alot more job opportunities for people and is one of the easier accents to understand. Also its not tied to one place to anyone can pick it up and better themselves with out feeling they sound out of character.

People need to grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭BlueJohn

Why do people call the south dublin accent a D4 accent when the vast majority of people who speak like that come outside that post code, like blackrock, foxrock, dundrum,rathfarnham, ternure etc..

No one in rathfarnham speaks like that. Well no I have talked to anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 heinz hummer

owe moy godge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

topper75 wrote: »
    Better to refer to is as the 'Dort' accent (although I'd rather not classify it as an accent, rather a stupid way of speaking).

It has a better geographical alignment with the DART rail line than the D4 postcode area and this term better mimics the ridiculous substitution of the AH sound (hat cat chat) with an OH sound (hot not what) that characterises this stupid way of speaking.

Agree with you about the DART line for sure. Don't agree with the stupid way of speaking remark. Unless you're a very good voice actor you can't control your accent no matter what background you come from. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Both the "ah jaysus howya" and the "oh moi gawd" accents really make me :rolleyes: when I hear them, both are annoying and either put on to seem tough or as airs and graces imho.
    Overheard a group of lads in town once saying "Lets go to the pob for a point of heino" I sincerely hope that wasnt put on by them and that they actually speak like that, sounded excessively put on though to me! :pac:

Originally from Clontarf myself and thats where home is for me and I hope to get back somewhere there as soon as I have the cash/job etc, but I dont have what is said by a "D4" accent - well to me I dont anyway :) - but I have moved quite a bit since and including living full time there so that may have something to do with it!

13spanner wrote: »
    Frank if it's an East - Wessht fight you're after it wont be long comin' :pac:

The "D4" accent is a head-wrecker, you get the feeling people think a little more of themselves of they say cor instead of car. It takes all sorts I s'pose!

And the fact that consciously changing your accent is quite difficult for a lot of people, let alone doing it 24/7 has no bearing on this...?

Just because you have a certain accent, doesn't say anything whatsoever about your personality. Accents are defined by your brain adapting to its surroundings in terms of dialect - as you'll know if you've had any relatives live in America or Australia for a couple of years and then come home, sounding like a foreigner for a couple of weeks or months but then gradually slipping back in to the Irish accent.

Hell, my dad's from Limerick / Kerry and moved to Dublin for college after his LC. When he's in Dublin you'd barely tell he's not from Dublin, yet he only lasts about 5 minutes when he goes home before he regains his original accent.

It means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

Much rather the D4 accent to the scumbag accent to be honest.

At least you can tell from a distance that they don't usually sell drugs / rob cars / want to stab you with a screwdriver

i heard some yank on the rte news sayin the bus eireann strike means he cant get to DONNIGAL or SLEEGO,,

Con Logue wrote: »
    Or Orla, graduating from Orts and now working in Or Tee Eee

Would you prefer if she pronounced it "Aaarleh"? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Some people more than others, depends on their 'aspirations'.
    I know one guy went to California for a month, had to ask directions in the local shop to his own house when he came back.

My favourite way of summing up this debate:
    "We're on da lash! Oi'm with me creew! We're gettin' sh!t faced! Going OOO OOO OOO!!!"
    "We're on the lock. Loike oh my gawd. We're tewtally gee-oyed. Going yaw, yaw, yawwwwwwww" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

It means nothing.

The accent itself means nothing. I moved in with a Kerry and a Cork lad in college and I surprised myself with the things they had me saying.

True to say the accent itself is nothing, it's just the supposed "D4" stereotype that's been created around it. Realistically it doesn't define a person, but the image that has been created comes to mind pretty quick. Even if it is just a joke.

My favourite way of summing up this debate:
    "We're on da lash! Oi'm with me creew! We're gettin' sh!t faced! Going OOO OOO OOO!!!"
    "We're on the lock. Loike oh my gawd. We're tewtally gee-oyed. Going yaw, yaw, yawwwwwwww" ;)
    in moy loike towtal elementch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

dublin accent:whats eh story me aul flower jiwant tea?

belfast accent:alrate haya doin will yee have a cyup of teaaaaaaaaaa? deeedle eeedle eeedle eeeee

I have never heard anyone from Belfast say 'deedle eeedle eeedle eeeee' and I'm in it most days. Are you feeling ok?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Also its not tied to one place to anyone can pick it up and better themselves with out feeling they sound out of character.
    Eh wut? We really don't want to be going down the route of received pronunciation like in the UK. So long as someone's accent is clear in diction that should be about it. Affecting any accent(rather than picking it up by osmosis, some do this more than others)is not a good reflection on a person IMH. They're denying their own personal history. Hearing a perfectly good Cork or Galwegian accent in a parent when their child is affecting that mid atlantic nasally twang is like fingers down a blackboard for me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

kennryyr wrote: »
    Much rather the D4 accent to the scumbag accent to be honest.

At least you can tell from a distance that they don't usually sell drugs / rob cars / want to stab you with a screwdriver

Do a lot of D4 people shout at you?

"Tarquinn what the hell do you want now. ....We're gewing out on the lash again!? Are you taking the pistachio???"

• Advertisement

owe moi godge, i sow cont believe you jus said that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

"Heavy traffic building from the ite-bind site-bind rindabyte"

moy momm is a senioor pardner in kay eff see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some amount of begrudgery going on here its just an accent, I'd rather complain about the Wexford, Louth, Cavan, Athlone accent.
    More people live in SoCoDu than in many of these places why shouldn't 't they have an accent that developed from years of elecution lessons

obviously a d4 head

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

OMG.
    Totally Jealbags peeps on here. So horsch roight ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

nothing wrong at all with the D4 accent, opens alot more job opportunities for people and is one of the easier accents to understand. Also its not tied to one place to anyone can pick it up and better themselves with out feeling they sound out of character.

People need to grow up

And what exactly is wrong with a Cork accent or a working class accent or a northern accent? Basically you're admitting yourself the D4 "accent" is more of a social construct as opposed to a genuine manner of speaking. The notion that people have fabricated an accent in order to sound superior and differentiate from those who aren't full of exclusionary social-climbing b*llocks is laughable to be honest.

And you're telling people to grow up? Personally I think any eejit who lies about who they are because of misguided shame needs to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

ted1 wrote: »
    Some amount of begrudgery going on here its just an accent, I'd rather complain about the Wexford, Louth, Cavan, Athlone accent.
    More people live in SoCoDu than in many of these places why shouldn't 't they have an accent that developed from years of elecution lessons
    Posters trying make a simple point like "hey why does that kid speak differently to their parents" or "why did the Dart bring an American accent that wasn't here 2 generations ago?" and suddenly you're a "bregrudger".

Sorry but when someone starts speaking in this surreal voice that seems to have come from nowhere, are we the ones with the issue?!

It's not that it effects those of us who notice it... it's just... odd.

edit:

elocution lessons? maybe i missed the sarcasm, you must be taking the piss there. obviously no elocution teacher would be teaching a dart accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Boggers/Pikies gonna hate :cool:

whats a pikie?? you mean pikey??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

Blame Ross O'Carroll Kelly - roysh? But it's just as bad as the bogger "Turty Tree and a Turd"!

whats a pikie?? you mean pikey??

Pikey, Scumbag, Knacker, Howya...you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

krudler wrote: »
    Would still rather hear that than the "ah jayyssuus bud me bleeeedin' head wha?" Dub accent.

Truly, the worst accent in the country is this one. It's like being stabbed in the eardrum.

Truly, the worst accent in the country is this one. It's like being stabbed in the eardrum.

Give me that over a bogger accent anyday. Biggest turnoff for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

krudler wrote: »
    1 is real the other is fake;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement