Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear plugs for swimming

Options
  • 14-05-2013 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Do people on here use them? If so what do you recommend?
    Looking for something that will stay in and almost mould into the shape of the outer ear canal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Yip, cannot swim in OW without! They sorted out my dizzy/sick/falling all over the shop problem. Basically by keeping the inner ear dry/hair follicles dry it means my balance is less affected. I cannot find the ones I use on the net, I'll keep looking, but I think I just got them in boots!

However these seem the business what with their "Multiple flange construction" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

got these at the weekend.. look like implements of torture to me ..but im having awful trouble with water getting into just the right ear so have to try something.. havent swam with them yet.. felt very weird when i put one in.. got in wheelworx

bugger cant get image to work.. google speedo biofuse..

edit el d got there before me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

You can get customised swimoulds from Crowleys Opticians 26 Grand Parade, Cork for around €100.
    They take moulds of your ear and ear canal and use these to manufacture swimoulds that fit perfectly.
    Very popular with children prone to ear infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

However these seem the business what with their "Multiple flange construction" :)

That's an impressive series of flanges right there El D. I've heard some of the competing brands have prototypes with a fifth one! Exciting times!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was recommended ones from boots, haven't picked them up but they're boots brand and not specifically for swimming but I'm told they mold to your ear canal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The little foam plugs for blocking noise can be compressed by rolling and work well to keep the canal water tight about €2 in a chemist. Otherwise TYR do a silicone version of malleable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sounds like EL D has the same problem as JB. No, not a lack of hormones in uetero - swim related inner ear issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

The blueseventy neoprene cap that hooks in under the chin is also an option. I get serious pains in my inner ear when cold water gets in but this cap seems to do the job, keeps the head nice and warm too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

i have the customised molds that fit into your ear like a hearing aid.very good.
    50 quid for the pair at a hearing aid place in Cork.i can dig out the name if you want pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Yip, cannot swim in OW without! They sorted out my dizzy/sick/falling all over the shop problem. Basically by keeping the inner ear dry/hair follicles dry it means my balance is less affected. I cannot find the ones I use on the net, I'll keep looking, but I think I just got them in boots!

I've used similar ones to them and never had any problems.

Although I did end up with unsettlingly waxy flanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've tried a few different types and these ones are the best. Ive been wearing them for 3 years. I use them for every swim. You get used to them very quickly and they pop in easy enough once you wet them. Only problem is you wont be able to hear Tango when he's giving instructions ......or maybe that's an advantage :)

hardCopy wrote: »
    I've used similar ones to them and never had any problems.

Although I did end up with unsettlingly waxy flanges.

Remember an old bird had a waxy flange. Could't abide it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

^^^ in truth, that had to be knocked out of the park ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

and only one person was going to pull that one off properly

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Do people on here use them? If so what do you recommend?

bio ears silicon earplugs in boots. 3 pairs of mouldable ones for abotu a fiver i think. stickier and more plyable than any of the other wax/silicon earplugs i tried (zoggs/tyr/other ones i found in boots), and give a better fit (for me) than any of the shaped ones that you just stick in. been using them since bursting my eardrum 1.5years ago, i cant swim without them now. would be tempted to go down the route of getting custom ones made/fitted, except it would get expensive when you lose them during a race.. at least these things are cheap and easy to replace. of the preshaped ones, these were the most comfortable and the ones that gave the best fit -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macks-AquaBlock-Earplugs-Purple-pair/dp/B0002IXH0U/ -- any others just popped out during swimming, or were too big for my ear canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Interesting!! I am keeping a closer eye on how i am feeling after swims now and i certainly felt a little dizzy and slightly off after a pretty handy and short swim set. Did you find you suffered with fatigue in previous instances? More talking about muscle fatigue rather than general fatigue. Did the plugs sort you out straight away?
    Oh btw you cannot beat a good flange although not sure what birds Tunney has been with if he experienced waxy ones!!
    Bambaata wrote: »
    The blueseventy neoprene cap that hooks in under the chin is also an option. I get serious pains in my inner ear when cold water gets in but this cap seems to do the job, keeps the head nice and warm too

I have the hat alright although not really suitable for swimming or warm temperatures hence why i was looking at plugs. The issue for me is i am getting that feeling even in warm water or the pool, bit like being on a ship.

Do ear plugs help with sinus problems? I don't *think* I suffer really but would give them a shot to see if it makes it that bit better.

kingQuez wrote: »
    bio ears silicon earplugs in boots. 3 pairs of mouldable ones for abotu a fiver i think. stickier and more plyable than any of the other wax/silicon earplugs i tried (zoggs/tyr/other ones i found in boots), and give a better fit (for me) than any of the shaped ones that you just stick in. been using them since bursting my eardrum 1.5years ago, i cant swim without them now. would be tempted to go down the route of getting custom ones made/fitted, except it would get expensive when you lose them during a race.. at least these things are cheap and easy to replace. of the preshaped ones, these were the most comfortable and the ones that gave the best fit -- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macks-AquaBlock-Earplugs-Purple-pair/dp/B0002IXH0U/ -- any others just popped out during swimming, or were too big for my ear canal.

YOu know what...I think those are the ones I use, defo the same shape. They certainly do the trick. I must buy a few pairs because as you say they can go missing during transition but they are cheap so it's no problem. I have lost loads over the years so I defo would not go for expensive ones.

The trick is: goggles off first, then ear plugs, then hat and into the hat goes goggles and plugs and then leave these in the sleeve of the wetsuit. Done right and everything should be in the hat in the sleeve of your wetsuit :)

Interesting!! I am keeping a closer eye on how i am feeling after swims now and i certainly felt a little dizzy and slightly off after a pretty handy and short swim set. Did you find you suffered with fatigue in previous instances? More talking about muscle fatigue rather than general fatigue. Did the plugs sort you out straight away?
    Oh btw you cannot beat a good flange although not sure what birds Tunney has been with if he experienced waxy ones!!

I have the hat alright although not really suitable for swimming or warm temperatures hence why i was looking at plugs. The issue for me is i am getting that feeling even in warm water or the pool, bit like being on a ship.

The ear plugs sorted out that problem straight away. A "bit like being on a ship" is a good way to describe the feeling. Not nice at all. It did not fatigue me but it definitely affected me at the start of the bike/run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

The trick is: goggles off first, then ear plugs, then hat and into the hat goes goggles and plugs and then leave these in the sleeve of the wetsuit. Done right and everything should be in the hat in the sleeve of your wetsuit :)

And don't attempt to leave them in for T1 thinking, sure I'll take them out when I'm on the bike. Can't get at them under the aero helmet and have to leave them in for the entire bike course. Its weird and everything sounds strange. NOt that I ever did this :rolleyes:

I use these in races http://www.speedousa.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11082791&locale=en_US and couldnt give a toss if they go missing. Only use them to prevent the dizziness after getting out and dont need them for training. Other half gets very bad ear infections and has tried a few options from Speedo, TYR etc, but is now using plugs she bought in the chemist and they seem to do the trick.

Yeah her name was Michelle, had to bin her as she was into weird sh1t. Dwarfs and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Use same ear plugs as El D. Have tried lots of others but these did the trick perfectly. Two years ago I almost gave up triathlon due to nausea. Like you I suffered on the bike, the complete opposite to what my training was indicating. It took me a while to realise that I was suffering from motion sickness. Ear plugs plus antihistamine an hour before swimming have solved the problem. I have also had to work hard to overcome the problem. Short swim/short bike reps proved where my problems were. I would come out of the swim feeling not so bad but five mins into the bike and bang, energy gone and nauseous feeling. Sea swims in particular proved more difficult. Would be interested to see what your history indicates. Were your IM events in the sea? Also do you suffer from motion sickness in a car? Hope you get it sorted, when I read you were doing IM F and your post there I thought of motion sickness straight away and when you asked about ear plugs I put two and two together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I was gonna go for the customised ones (constant ear infections from swimming) but my GP told me loads of people spend the money, then they still let water in!

I ended up with these - and they are the best earplugs I ever tried. I swim around 2km twice a week and not a drop of water in since I bought them, Im on the same pair over a year. I also use them for noise at night (live in an apartment) and doing exams etc... They come in different sizes too and the cord is handy if you drop one getting out of the pool.

For the person who asked about sinus issues - I have tried pretty much every nose clip for swimming on the market and have had recently absolute success with this. Pricey - but worth it - Ive already had sinus surgery once - trying to avoid it again! I look silly in it Im sure, but who cares, Im swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yet again a description of my patented sinus cleaning regime:) :

Fill squezy bottle with clean water
    Insert bottle into each nostril after swim
    Squeeze gently
    If water comes out of your ears you've squeezed too hard
    Repeat
    If its a high chlorine pool squirt some flixonase into each nostril
    Fixed my sinus problems :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Yet again a description of my patented sinus cleaning regime:) :

Fill squezy bottle with clean water
    Insert bottle into each nostril after swim
    Squeeze gently
    If water comes out of your ears you've squeezed too hard
    Repeat
    If its a high chlorine pool squirt some flixonase into each nostril
    Fixed my sinus problems :)

I wish mine were resolved so easily. My only choice is full on nose clipping. Im already on daily sinus steroids (a lot stronger than flixonase) and still get irritation regularly. ENTs love patients like me! People who have terrible sinuses but still insist on swimming.

Mind you he hasnt had the joy of treating me for an ear infection since I got the ear plugs - lets hope same goes with the nose clip.

I don't get overly sinusy. Depends on the pool.

Can't wear nose clips though, they make me feel claustrophobic.

I don't get overly sinusy. Depends on the pool.

Can't wear nose clips though, they make me feel claustrophobic.

Yeah it messed up my stroke for ages, my breathing was different. Im used to it now but it did take time. Even the smell of chlorine in the air of a pool can set my sinuses off for days of misery, headaches, pressure, throwing up, congested, painful......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I briefly tried using a nose clip, for a while I couldnt stop water from going up the nose and down my throat... very horrible; not sure whether it was head positioning/breating timing after the burst eardrum, or just a change in whatever gungk is up my sinus. Felt like my nose was on fire when the clip closed the two holes together, the cure was worse than the thing i was trying to fix so I abandoned the noseclip :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Use same ear plugs as El D. Have tried lots of others but these did the trick perfectly. Two years ago I almost gave up triathlon due to nausea. Like you I suffered on the bike, the complete opposite to what my training was indicating. It took me a while to realise that I was suffering from motion sickness. Ear plugs plus antihistamine an hour before swimming have solved the problem. I have also had to work hard to overcome the problem. Short swim/short bike reps proved where my problems were. I would come out of the swim feeling not so bad but five mins into the bike and bang, energy gone and nauseous feeling. Sea swims in particular proved more difficult. Would be interested to see what your history indicates. Were your IM events in the sea? Also do you suffer from motion sickness in a car? Hope you get it sorted, when I read you were doing IM F and your post there I thought of motion sickness straight away and when you asked about ear plugs I put two and two together.
    Thanks S2R, you have just described my last few swim/bikes in long distance tris:o I am hopeful it is something as simple as motion sickness but only back swimming recently after a shoulder injury and have yet to test a few things in ow swims & bike bricks.

Would be interested to see what your history indicates. Were your IM events in the sea?
    IMUK - Lake swim, cannot recall how i felt after the swim but it was a long time in the water:o
    Roth - Canal swim, race report extracts below. I am not entirely convinced what happened over there was actually caused by food poisining.
    "It was probably around the 2.5k mark that I started to feel a little off with a headache and what felt like dizziness. I knew I had started to slow and as we turned the 3.5k buoy I ended up having to swim over to the bank to get my head together as I was feeling ropey as hell and very dizzy. I reckon I lost about 2 to 3 minutes here whilst sorting my head out. With about 200mtrs to go I just swam easy to get it done. I came out of the water in 1:22 for the 3.8km swim. Not great but 10mins quicker than UKIM last year.
    T1
    I stumbled up the steps and walked through transition or should I say staggered my way through. I was starting to ask myself what is going on. As a volunteer was helping me off with my wetsuit I got sick all over it and her. In fairness the volunteer was fine about it and had later cleaned it and returned it to my bag. T1 was a very slow affair close on 6 minutes."

Challenge Barca - Sea swim, did not feel as bad on the bike but still power was off by 30% and i should have really biked quicker.
    Abu Dhabi - Sea swim. Felt dreadful 10mins into the bike and suffered throughout the day, similar feeling to Roth but no sickness or dehydration as i was able to take fuel on board.

That was really the icing on the cake and telling me something else was up as racing was not matching training. I dont swim/bike in training up to now so would never know until race day. My coach will have a few tests lined up prior to FF.

Also do you suffer from motion sickness in a car? Only as a passenger, not a good passenger at all!!

Advertisement