Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear plugs for swimming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Try blue tack. I have had operation for surfers ear as I swim 6 months of the year in the sea. It was xtremely painful . I was told id need op on other ear within 2 years. I found all ear plugs that I bought were very expendive and didnt work. I tried blutack and havent had a prob since. Now 10 years since op.blue tack .... Worlds greatest invention

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Also do you suffer from motion sickness in a car? Only as a passenger, not a good passenger at all!!

Not surprised this is your answer, says it all really. I am a bad passenger too, driving ok though which is all part of motion sickness. From what you described in races it certainly indicates motion sickness. I diagnosed mine in HoW 2011 when I had to stop halfway through the swim and puke.

However, as simple and all as diagnosing motion sickness is the reality of dealing with it may not be as easy as you think. Sorry for being negative but I am still experimenting with how to deal with this (for two years). The three main things which have helped me are:
    1. Ear plugs.
    2. Motion sickness meds/antihistamines (check for non drowsy)
    3. Weekly short swim/bike - reps (200m and 3km bike x 3)
    I did not realise how bad I actually was until I started doing the short swim/bike reps. I remember doing them with a group of friends and getting sicker and sicker on each rep (would be worth your while experimenting with it) . This improved enormously with practice and it is one weekly session I try not to miss.
    If I showed up for an OW swim without earplugs I would just abandon ship. I do not get sick using the pool and swim with/out earplugs, as not an issue.
    Also I have found that when I get on the bike water is safest to consume at the start. As cycle progresses I can then switch to whatever nutrition I have but I need to allow time for stomach to settle.
    Huge psychological element to motion sickness and I am trying a new alternative approach to treatment. Will let you know if it works:rolleyes:.
    Well best of luck and hope you can resolve it. The best part for me was actually knowing what the problem was. I had beaten myself up with self doubt and was beginning to conclude that I was only good in training and when it came to races I just bottled it. I am happy to report that I have put in some super performances since I have learned to handle motion sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I don't get overly sinusy. Depends on the pool.

Can't wear nose clips though, they make me feel claustrophobic.

Try nose clip with a snorkel. Torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I am happy to report that I have put in some super performances since I have learned to handle motion sickness.

Well thats one positive to hear. I will try a few of those things out and see how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

I use humble 5euro speedo ear plugs you can get in tesco's. they don't keep my ears dry but they do seem to relieve the pressure so it keeps the water out of my middle ear, so no more wiggling fingers in my ears or doing the wet dog impression for me. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement