Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats with Fleas? - Advice needed

• 14-05-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭

Can someone offer me some advice please. I have two male cats about 9 months old. Over the past two weeks they have started to scratch a lot, one cat in particular. Anyway at the weekend I got a flea & worm dose for each cat. The dose was applied by squeezing the little tiny container on the back of the cats neck releasing the contents. When I applied the dose, they started cleaning themselves working on the area I had just applied. They did not like the taste at all and were actually gagging with the flavour. I went to bed and put them out shortly afterwards so I don't know if they spent much time licking and cleaning the area where I had applied the flea dose.

It's two days later now and they are still scratching and I am wondering has the dose began to work at all or did they lick it off?? I have removed the blankets that they sleep on and have put them into a very hot wash today so that any fleas in the blanket will be killed.

My questions are:

1. Should I get another flea dose or does it take a while for them to take effect?
    2. can you get a flea dose in any other form or what is the best flea treatment to get?
    3. Will washing their sleep blankets help the problem?
    4. Should I stop the cats from getting up onto the sofa?
    5. Can fleas be transferred to humans?

I would be very grateful for any help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

what brand was it, did you get it from the vet? You are supposed to put the dose in a place between the shoulder blades, where they can't get to, they are not supposed to lick it, as they are not meant to ingest it. I'd phone the vet and ask advice, are they being sick, or do they seem under the weather at all?

Was it raining that night, when you put them out? They also need to stay dry for a good few hours after being treated.

It will take a while to kill the fleas. I would suggest that you also get a spray from the vet to treat all soft furnishings, as the eggs that have been laid will continue to hatch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I get Advocate flea/wormer treatment from my vet and its based on their weight, cats under 4kg and cats over 4kg. As someone said the cats need to be kept dry for a good few hours after treatment. I definitely wouldn't put any more treatment on them for a few weeks, as far as I know it takes a good while to get it out of the cats system. In summer we use it every 2 months. In winter unless they are scratching I don't put it on them.

Advertisement