Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre...rate adaptive?...specific to your line?

• 14-05-2013 10:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Just a query about fibre, i know its say "upto" 70mb down and 20mb up. But will it be the same structure that we have with DSL?....ergo specific to what your line can handle?

Will they do a test as they do for DSL and you'll get the max stable rates etc?
    I'm on NGB 24mb but only get 10mb down and 1mb up....even though my line stats clearly state my line can hanle 16mb down :mad:

The upstream on my line is maxed out though, 1120 is the max so 1020 is pretty good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yes distance from the cabinet will be the determining factor.
    dsl-speed-comparisons1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Note: the distance from the cabinet may not be as the crow flies nor as the road flies...

It could be longer depending on what arseways manner they've put it in (estates can be spaghetti)...

So if google maps says you're 200m from the cabinet, in reality there could be 600m of cable between you and the cabinet. Equally, it could also be 100m.

So in short: if you're wondering why it says 'up to' 24mb and you're only getting 'x', it's because unless somebody physically measures the length of cable between your house and the cabinet, then nobody can guarantee anything.

Anything else we can help you with today sir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

smemon wrote: »
    Note: the distance from the cabinet may not be as the crow flies nor as the road flies...

It could be longer depending on what arseways manner they've put it in (estates can be spaghetti)...

So if google maps says you're 200m from the cabinet, in reality there could be 600m of cable between you and the cabinet. Equally, it could also be 100m.

So in short: if you're wondering why it says 'up to' 24mb and you're only getting 'x', it's because unless somebody physically measures the length of cable between your house and the cabinet, then nobody can guarantee anything.

Anything else we can help you with today sir?

I saw a KN engineer using the meter wheel yesterday in our town...I really hope that they aren't measuring distances like that. :s

Advertisement