Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Game Craft 2013 - May 18th

• 14-05-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭

Anyone going?

Dublingamecraft.com
    this will be a twelve hour game jam event. For any who don’t know, in a game jam, you create a small game in a limited amount of time, either on your own or as a team. You can use whatever platform/tools/ gamedev voodoo you like...

at 9am on the dot, we’ll announce the theme, followed by an explosive outpouring of creative energies for a solid twelve hours! Afterwards, our panel of specially trained minion judges will poke at your game for a few hours, and then declare themselves winners! This of course is not the desired outcome, so we’ll get them to pick the best games to receive a few prizes instead. During this time, it’s important that you be merry, drink some beers, and network with your fellow game devs.

I've my name down on the waiting list in case anyone drops out so still hoping to go. Although it might be tough to add a theme to my pro igo game :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be there, it's my first game jam. I expect it to be a complete disaster but a good learning experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cool. Are you continuing something you were working on already or starting from scratch?

I must be high up the waiting list I added my name the morning it closed. Still hopeful anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

For those entering - care to post the final build of the evening in this thread? I'd be interested to see what's achieved in the 12 hours.
    Also, if modifying an existing game to fit the theme, or reusing old code, post a build from the day before?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cool. Are you continuing something you were working on already or starting from scratch?

I must be high up the waiting list I added my name the morning it closed. Still hopeful anyways!

Not sure yet. I have a game in stencyl and a game built in a week in corona. Both aren't great. Might knuckle down and learn the ins and outs of gamemaker and make something from scratch.

Do people think its against the spirit of the day to go up with a game kind of already made?

Like I could go up with Pro-Igo but should i really be creating a net new game based on the requirements/theme of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I'm going to be there as well. Participated in the previous Dublin & Belfast ones.

All games are supposed to be made from start to finish within the time limit and inspired from the theme revealed at 9am, so using a game already in progress is completely against the spirit of gamecraft.

You can, and should, prepare your dev environment beforehand. Make sure you, and anybody on your team, are set up with some version control and you have any libraries you could possibly want to use downloaded beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭newfrontier

Dermo wrote: »
    I'm going to be there as well. Participated in the previous Dublin & Belfast ones.

All games are supposed to be made from start to finish within the time limit and inspired from the theme revealed at 9am, so using a game already in progress is completely against the spirit of gamecraft.

You can, and should, prepare your dev environment beforehand. Make sure you, and anybody on your team, are set up with some version control and you have any libraries you could possibly want to use downloaded beforehand.

How many show up to join teams and how many do a game on their own?

How many show up to join teams and how many do a game on their own?

A lot of people do games on their own, more at the Dublin gamecraft than any others (there's usually a much bigger turnout in Dublin).

But most teams or people would relish joining up with people who have skills they don't have. In a lot of cases there are some artists or sound guys looking for a team. The only barrier is making that first contact at the start of the day when there isn't really time to talk to everybody before it all kicks off.

In my first gamecraft it was just myself and my friend, another coder. We didn't have any artists. But for my second gamecraft we ended up with a team of 6, which is very large for a gamecraft team. It was myself and 2 friends, all coders, and 2 random artists and 1 sound guy.

On a separate note, around quality. The judges rate games on all sorts of metrics; gameplay, graphics, multiplayer aspect, uniqueness are only some of them. No game could satisfy every single metric so don't try to include features just to tick boxes. Concentrate on your strengths create a working prototype as quick as possible. Then add features onto the prototype one by one.

If I get a game up and running I'll be happy. I'm only going in there with paint .net and gamemaker and a lot of optimism. I usually spend way too much time doing pixel art than making the game, my one weakness. I'm more worried about losing my laptop when the drinks start flowing :P

So ended up working with my friend at this, I coded, he did art. Very proud of myself that I ended up with a finished playable game. Mine was Don't Cry, the black and white one with the annoying static sound effects. I'll put up a link to the game tomorrow, anyone that took the time to play it thanks for taking the time out.

Who won? Had to leave at 11 to get my train home. Very much doubt it was me :P

Had a great time, was a real learning experience. Was impressed by the games I saw there. Here's some pics:

254444.png

254445.png

254446.png

• Advertisement

Just back home now, I'm absolutely shattered! I've been up since 6!

So me and my buddy went with "Adventure ball" and actually ended up winning the peoples choice award, I'm absolutely trilled!

There were some really cool stuff people were working on there.

Was excellently run, the food etc was really good. Really enjoyable day. Very draining though!

Ah so you were on that team. I gave you my lego piece.

Do you know who the other winners were?

Cheers! 4 player was good craic. It was funny I don't think any one noticed we had no sound :)

Yeah, eh a blood type face book game won the mystery prize.
    Nun boat won something
    Legless Lenny and something won best overall

I don't know the others.

Ah nun boat. Dwarf Fortress with nuns. I got a laugh out of that.

You're game was just good craic, that's why I gave it my piece of lego. It reminded me of warlords on the 2600, simple but with enough chaos to make it fun in 4 player.

I'm still wrecked from yesterday.

@witnessmenow congrats on the win!

@Retr0gamer I didn't get to play your game, but I liked the look of it.

My team created "William Shakespeare's Chess 2", a simple game where you switch between 2 characters (1 with a metal detector, the other with a pickaxe) to find buried treasure. I'll stick up some screenshots and a link when I get the chance

Watched a few people play your game but didn't play it myself, had a laugh at the random nonsense in the text boxes :)

If anyone wants to try my game there's a link here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p8d37i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Will definitely try and make it too the next one, disappointed I couldn't go this time (but my laptop isn't receiving power right now which I would say is a bit of a prerequisite) :p

Will definitely try and make it too the next one, disappointed I couldn't go this time (but my laptop isn't receiving power right now which I would say is a bit of a prerequisite) :p

Well actually ... :)

I saw one team made a board/card game, looked pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

:D Never even thought of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭whykay

For those who don't know already, the winners of DGC3 can be found here: http://dublingamecraft.com/2013/05/22/and-the-winners-are/

/// Vicky (GameCraft co-Founder / co-Organiser)

Hey Vicky

Would it be possible to add links to the rest of the games? I know some of the guys submitted them on twitter.

Not just the winners if you have links for more :)

Thanks!

Advertisement