Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 to WHV?

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you could help me out with a question I have.
    It looks like I may be offered a sponsored position over in Sydney. As far as I can see if I were to go over on a WHV and got sponsored immediately by the company, and for some reason or another, I left the job, I wouldn't be entitled to return to my WHV.

So, is it possible to go over straight on a 457 visa, and then should I leave the company, will I still be entitled to a WHV?

Thanks for any insight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Simple answer to the situation your describe is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Actually simple answer is yes.
    If you came over on a 457 and if visa is cancelled you can leave & arrive back on a 417.
    But you must be outside Australia at time of applying, hence the leave part.

It would be very unwise to arrive on a WHV if the company is willing to sponsor you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

hussey wrote: »
    Actually simple answer is yes.
    If you came over on a 457 and if visa is cancelled you can leave & arrive back on a 417.
    But you must be outside Australia at time of applying, hence the leave part.

It would be very unwise to arrive on a WHV if the company is willing to sponsor you

Doh sorry i read that wrong. Though he was asking could he go back onto WHV if he left the 457.

Yeah as hussey said dont use your 417 unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

So, is it possible to go over straight on a 457 visa,
    Yeah that's possible.
    In fact the majority of 457 are grant for people outside australia.
    and then should I leave the company, will I still be entitled to a WHV?

The 457 has no impact on the 417.
    As long as you still meet the conditions you van get a 417.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VVVinoVeritas

Thanks a million guys - will go out on the 457 so Il have the comfort of knowing I still have the WHV option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

I have done done this, gone over on 457 made redundant and applying for 417 outside Oz right now, I applied Sunday night I will let ye know how I go.

Advertisement