Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Almost Human [Fox - US]

• 14-05-2013 11:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:D awesome!...my kind of show, great replacement for Fringe. Yes its 100% I, Robot right down to yer man having a robot leg, instead of an arm.

Very much reminds me of Minority Report in its look. But Karl Urban is great, only weak link is the horrid actress that is Minka Kelly....great eye candy but that's it!

Think this will be the only new Fox show i'll watch.

Comments

I lvoe the look of it but then again I'm sucker for all things sci-fi and the cast is great. Wonder the odds are on the big twist being that Urban is a robot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Michael Ealy and Karl Urban in buddy robocop show, I'm sold :P

Premiere pushed back two weeks now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Premiere pushed back two weeks now

Is that a bad sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

bluesfan wrote: »
    Is that a bad sign?

I hope not, the latest trailer says it will begin with a double episode.

• Advertisement

bluesfan wrote: »
    Is that a bad sign?

Not necessarily, it may actually be a good sign, especially when it's getting a double episode premiere and it's possible that it may not take a mid season break which would be fantastic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

With the way they had been pushing this during the panthers vs rams game (both during the game, and in every ad break) I'm taking the delay as a bad sign for the show.

With the way they had been pushing this during the panthers vs rams game (both during the game, and in every ad break) I'm taking the delay as a bad sign for the show.

Isn't there some huge game on Nov. 17 before Almost Human airs which could provide a huge lead in audience. I'm assuming that Fox looked at the possible audience and figured that rescheduling could boost the ratings substantially.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If only they had looked at their own schedule before plugging the hell out of it the day before its due premier, I'm sure confusion is great for ratings too though :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

We all know how Fox like to screw up good shows. If they're screwing this up this much before it has even started this could turn out to be the best show ever.

(before being cancelled after 2 episodes)

• Advertisement

The first episode is on Sunday November 17th, with the second episode on the following night, Monday, which shall be it's regular slot.

Just watched the pilot and I found it extremely enjoyable. Loved the futuristic touches that still kept within the realms of possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

About to watch this looks promising. I can't help thinking of Continuum meets irobot with robocop influences. Lets hope they can do something original with this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I enjoyed it.

It was cheezy as hell and brought nothing we haven't seen before: Prejudiced cop paired with unusual android/robot goes back to Asimov's Baley&Olivaw books: Caves of Steel, Naked sun and Dawn of Robots.

But the characters are likeable and it's a bit of fun. It's not rocket science but I'll give it a go.

Word of warning though!!!!!!!! It's on FOX so don't count on it lasting. And if they move it to Friday night then you know it's been cancelled.

Edit: Didn't see other posts regarding Fox. 2nd episode on same time as a match? hang om, is it always going to be on Monday? Dammit, it's screwed. Ah well

looks like utter tripe, but i'm going to watch it and hope I see something in it :D I'm nerd enough to know it has potential - the writing (based on promos and trailers) is what's scaring me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

looks like utter tripe, but i'm going to watch it and hope I see something in it :D I'm nerd enough to know it has potential - the writing (based on promos and trailers) is what's scaring me off.

Oh have no doubt: it IS tripe (well maybe tripe is too harsh) but it's not Shakespeare, put it that way. But it's FUN tripe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

After reading the mediocre reviews yesterday, I was expecting the worst - but that was FUN!
    Nice Fringey feel to it, and a really unique (and cracking) soundtrack.

Urban is overdoing the Dredd grimace a bit, but I really liked this. :)

Great fun, Blade Runner style with Karl Urban, and the guy playing his partner has a good vibe about him. The bad guys need a star player though for this to last, imho.

ok, i'm in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Love it

This could be a keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

That wasn't bad at all. I'll let it run a few more episodes so.

Was it getting bad reviews? I wonder if critics don't get sci-fi shows?

All over the shop, boney.

Ranging from 88 down to 0.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/almost-human/critic-reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Washington post rubbish

If it was The Wire (with robots), they'd still hate it. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Watched the first episode last night. It's cheesy, cliche ridden, and brilliant. It could so easily have not worked, but it did.

I'm not sure if it can keep that quality up, in particular the plot seemed like it would be suited to a 2 hour movie but might struggle over a whole season.

I'll definitely be looking forward to more though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Loved it. It looked so much like the Fringe universe too, ie futuristic but not too much.

The 2nd episode had the humour ramped RIGHT up. Great show.

Balls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Karl Urbans line delivery is woefully cringe. Fan of Ealy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Mr E wrote: »
    The 2nd episode had the humour ramped RIGHT up. Great show.

Balls. :)

A humourous robo buudy cop show, mmm… It's been done better.

"Don't scan my testicles again" :P there is good chemistry between the leads Ealy and Urban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Loved this scene

Kid - "are you a bot?"

Dorian - * smiles* "yes I am"

Kid - "cool what can you do"

Dorian - *leans close flashes his subdermal circuitry *

Kid - "wow, are you one too?" *to Kennex*

Kennex - "no I'm human"

Kid -" Ohhhhhh *disappointed* what can you do"

Kennex - *thinks for a moment takes out a flick knife* "watch this" *stabs himself in leg*

Kid - *runs away screaming*

Kennex - *belatedly shouts after the kid* "wait it doesn't hurt I have a synthetic leg"

Dorian - I never even been a child and I know that would scare one, what's the matter with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Just watched the 2 ep, yeah it was cliched, but most of them are like that afaik :P
    Here's hoping it will turn out to be a good show, i took a chance on Continuum, although it did have Rachel Nicholls as a bonus & look how well that turned out, as FOX are hoping this'll be as good as Fringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Lyla was looking well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just downloaded it there, 10 minutes in im out, flying cars:rolleyes: its meant to be 2048 which is 35 years away, flying cars never going to happen, its like a bad
    b-movie.

• Advertisement

evilivor wrote: »
    A humourous robo buudy cop show, mmm… It's been done better.

I remember this, good fun so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Watched the first two episodes last night. They were fun, but it is a waste of talent\budget.
    It looks great, and the two leads are excellent, but its too cliched to keep me watching.

This in no way will do as any sort of a replacement for Fringe. Looks like its back to re-runs for me :(

Just downloaded it there, 10 minutes in im out, flying cars:rolleyes: its meant to be 2048 which is 35 years away, flying cars never going to happen, its like a bad
    b-movie.

Huh? Where are there flying cars? In the first ten minutes of the first episode, the only thing flying that I saw was at 6:58 into the episode. Is that what you meant? It looked more like a helicopter/type of airplane, rather than a car.

But if you want to give up on what is likely to be a great show, with realistic futuristic ideas, then fire ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

First episode was only ok, vast improvement in the second episode and a good overall arc forming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I absolutely loved this. With Breaking Bad just finished and being halfway through Sons of Anarchy, it's good to veg with something light and humorous that's more than 20 minutes long. Urban and Ealy bounce off each other really well. It's kitsch-y, but it's great fun. I'm feeling all Starsky & Hutch here. :eek:

The sci-fi element is good. It makes it all the more interesting and keeps us sci-fi geeks happy. The future-tech in this so far is quite down to earth and believable. I think we all expect there will be robots and androids some day, so that's not a stretch, and
    generating skin from "volunteers"
    is hardly rocket science now, is it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

the chemistry between the two leads were excellent ; the storyline quite fresh .... hahaha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Now, that was an action packed ep, the show's getting better inc the banter between 'Reginald' & Dorian!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ill be watching this later! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Watched ep01, awesome.

Very Deux Ex-esque I thought.

Have two eps to watch now with the missus

Now, that was an action packed ep, the show's getting better inc the banter between 'Reginald' & Dorian!

Agreed,very engaging. Was that Dewey from justified calling the shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Just finished ep3. I'm enjoying it, very light entertainment, Chewing gum for the eyes you could say :D

Die Hard elements were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

1st episode was ok, spent most of it going Karl Urban has gone from Bones McCoy > Judge Dredd > Deckard. Really is picking up all the best sci fi roles.

but I was hooked by the 2nd episode the two leads have fantastic chemistry together and it's got that nice mix of buddy cop series and clever sci fi flavours to satsify me.

3rd episode was equally entertaining.

Really does go home to prove that more so then film with TV the first and foremost thing you need to nail is your characters. You can have the most by the books bland plot lines but give us interesting likeable characters and you got yourself a solid show.

Another good episode this week. Solid stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

This really fills the fix I needed after fringe and burn notice ended.

Hope to see some progress on the stuff from ep01 soon...the two leads are buddys now, I get it already!

• Advertisement
Advertisement