Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Honours Irish

• 14-05-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me out with how long should b spent in each section of irish paper 2 exam? I'm an external student teaching myself so any help on this would b great!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

You have 185 minutes, and there is 200 marks available on the paper.

My advice would be to spend 50 minutes on each of the comprehensions, 30 minutes on the story, 25 minutes on the poem, and 30 minutes on the litríocht breise.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭hitchcock

Also, my teacher advised us to work backwards through paper 2 as the reading comprehensions can really absorb all of your time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

hitchcock wrote: »
    Also, my teacher advised us to work backwards through paper 2 as the reading comprehensions can really absorb all of your time :)

This.

Reading them first fooked me over last year. You spend so long trying to paraphrase them too so your not quoting word for word, that you don't notice the time slipping away.

I'm an external candidate also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

hitchcock wrote: »

I don't think I'd advise this as the conprehensions are worth 100 marks! The poems and stories are worth roughly 30/40 each. Instead of working backwards I'd stick to a time limit. Once you hit a certain time, move on.

I don't think I'd advise this as the conprehensions are worth 100 marks! The poems and stories are worth roughly 30/40 each. Instead of working backwards I'd stick to a time limit. Once you hit a certain time, move on.

That, I thought, was assumed. Obviously work to a time limit but I still suggest to leaving them last as before you know it you're spending too long on them! Plus you can probably shave times on the easier stuff and end up giving yourself much more needed time on those friggin things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

This.

Reading them first fooked me over last year. You spend so long trying to paraphrase them too so your not quoting word for word, that you don't notice the time slipping away.

I'm an external candidate also.
    Last year? You don't have to paraphrase them from last year onwards! I didn't even know what the comprehensions were about last year really, just skimmed them for the answers. It gets you full marks without the risk of phrasing it badly. :)

Canard wrote: »
    Last year? You don't have to paraphrase them from last year onwards! I didn't even know what the comprehensions were about last year really, just skimmed them for the answers. It gets you full marks without the risk of phrasing it badly. :)

Please tell me you're joking. Please. That's not what my grinds teacher told me. I wouldn't mind but I went back and viewed my script and only got 50 marks each for the blasted things!!! Do you mind me asking who told you this?

Yes that's true, you don't have to paraphrase anymore, you can quote directly from the text, 2012 was the first year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Please tell me you're joking. Please. That's not what my grinds teacher told me. I wouldn't mind but I went back and viewed my script and only got 50 marks each for the blasted things!!! Do you mind me asking who told you this?
    Oh no! :( My teacher wasn't sure so she emailed the chief examiner who confirmed the change - then the exam didn't say the usual "bíodh na freagraí..." at the top. I got 92/100 for cutting them out of the text! People were saying it was a once off thing but it wasn't, someone on here emailed the chief examiner and he said again that it's just taking it from the passage. Seems a bit silly, but that's what Q6 is for, it's the only one where you have to think about your answer a bit more.

OH FFSAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!! *weeps* A year of my life lost!!

God I'm so glad I came on here, something was telling me to today. Thanks Canard.

• Advertisement

To say I'm withered, is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Notaí for Las ar Choille?

have looked everywhere for these to no avail

Go raibh maith agaibh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lily123

Does anyone know where I can get marking schemes for all the sample irish listenings please?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

Can anyone tell me if I need to quote for the prós and litríocht breise?

So confused.. :(

Can anyone tell me if I need to quote for the prós and litríocht breise?

So confused.. :(

For An Triail I would, but for the prós I wouldn't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Hi everyone, I am too an external student and just getting round to the leaving cert study now!!! :eek:

Anyway I did the leaving cert in 2011 and studied the old course. I am just wondering for the Prós agus danta could I just revise those that I did study and not bother learning the new course and answer the B roghnach question instead??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niamhhealy86

For An Triail I would, but for the prós I wouldn't bother

Thanks a million :) Our teacher has been drilling it into us to quote nearly after every sentence! Its not possible to learn it all! :(

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Hi everyone, I am too an external student and just getting round to the leaving cert study now!!! :eek:

Anyway I did the leaving cert in 2011 and studied the old course. I am just wondering for the Prós agus danta could I just revise those that I did study and not bother learning the new course and answer the B roghnach question instead??? :confused:

Yeah you can. I'm pretty sure that's the reason why they're there, for repeats who originally studied different ones to the current course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ecoco85

With the risk of sounding like a complete eejit....... Do u have to bring your own writing paper to the exam or is a booklet provided? Thank god I'm only doing one subject, after 10 years I'd forgotten how stressful this is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Ecoco85 wrote: »
    With the risk of sounding like a complete eejit....... Do u have to bring your own writing paper to the exam or is a booklet provided? Thank god I'm only doing one subject, after 10 years I'd forgotten how stressful this is!

Nope a booklet is provided :) best of luck! :)

• Advertisement

Ecoco85 wrote: »

A booklet is provided :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement