Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory Gallagher Festival 2013 - 30 May- 2 June

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

Just starting a Thread for this Festival which I am hoping to go to.

This is the line up

http://www.rorygallagherfestival.com/

I'm a big Rory Gallagher fan (obviously) but have very little exposure to his tribute bands.

There's a lot of stuff going on that weekend. Can any festival veterans give advice on who/what to try and see and maybe some dos/don'ts ?

Trying to spare the magic beans (recession don't ya know!!) .. so am hoping to catch some of the free stuff during the day ..and maybe go along to the Marque on one night only...any suggestion which night ?

Any pubs during the day that would be lively ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Just about every pub in town will have a few bands on over the course of the weekend. I'm pretty sure the festival website will have the running order for all of them.

There are also 3 main outdoor stages. One in Rory G place which is between Owen Roe's pub and Rory O'Neill's shop down the bottom of the town. The other main one is a flat back truck at the top of the town facing the Rory G statue. Then there's a small stage outside the supermarket near the bus station. All these are free.

Good pubs to hit are The Bridgend, Diceys, The Thatch....just follow the crowd and the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Thanks Catch-22.

Already advised to try to catch

Barry Barnes/Sinnerboy as well as Seamie O Dowd

I think these guys will all be playing free during the daytime.

see this older thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056656025

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pyrogenxx

Does anyone if you can bring camper van or caravan to the official event campsite?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Definitely make time to check out Sinnerboy, I've seen them a good few times and they've been excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

pyrogenxx wrote: »
    Does anyone if you can bring camper van or caravan to the official event campsite?

Haven't stayed at the official campsite in a few years, but when I was last there, there was no campervan area. If you got there early, you could probably park it at the side of the road within walking distance of the campsite, but that's not ideal.

Tbh, you'd be better off staying at Mungo's, but that's at the other side of town and not as much craic. For someone like me, easy access to toilets, showers and a good fry in the morning is worth it though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 pyrogenxx

Jesus i sure hope they let campers stay at the official campsite, cause otherwise a lot of people are gonna have camp illegally somewhere in the town which which is outa the question.

Surely they'll have to facilitate campers (as in just let them stay in the 'field'), they even said on the websites camping section that they'll be clampin down on people camping on the side of the road in the town. They really should've mentioned it on the website. :confused:

2 emails sent to their email address in the camping section and once via the contact form and still no answer since thursday. :( Or will we just show up without confirmation? Maybe even pay for camping ticket before hand mightn't give them much of a choice because they didn't specify they don't take campers, right? :D Could be a disaster though :P

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

There is car park beside the Garda station, which is 5 minutes from the entrance to the usual offical campsite that campers can park in.

However I have heard from someone from Ballyshanon that the official campsite this year is out at Finer camp this year as residents were complaining, but I cant confirm this 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

This is my first year attending the festival, what is the weather usually like up there? Looking forward to a weekend of serious blues music!

Was trying to get a B&B or Hotel .. but they are scarce and expensive. Looking like I'll be roughing it now. I don't have a campervan .. just an ordinary car based van that's just about big enough to get a nights sleep in :-) where is the best part of town to pitch up in ? I don't want to end up paying for parking or especially getting clamped !!

I had assumed it would be a good natured free for all .. and that Authorities and Gardai would be turning a benevolent blind eye to any parking infringements ? ... especially given that town is on its knees (Watched Joe Duffy's Local heroes the other night)... you'd imagine they'd be rolling out the red carpet for visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Was trying to get a B&B or Hotel .. but they are scarce and expensive. Looking like I'll be roughing it now. I don't have a campervan .. just an ordinary car based van that's just about big enough to get a nights sleep in :-) where is the best part of town to pitch up in ? I don't want to end up paying for parking or especially getting clamped !!

I had assumed it would be a good natured free for all .. and that Authorities and Gardai would be turning a benevolent blind eye to any parking infringements ? ... especially given that town is on its knees (Watched Joe Duffy's Local heroes the other night)... you'd imagine they'd be rolling out the red carpet for visitors.

Yeah you will be OK to park up anywhere if you can find a space, looks like its going to be a good weather as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 November One

I'm going to be driving up from Galway sometime tomorrow (Friday) at around noon and have a few free seats in the car.

Anyone fancy carpooling? Be a cool way to keep petrol costs down and meet some fellow Rory G fans! =D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

spodoinkle wrote: »
    There is car park beside the Garda station, which is 5 minutes from the entrance to the usual offical campsite that campers can park in.

However I have heard from someone from Ballyshanon that the official campsite this year is out at Finer camp this year as residents were complaining, but I cant confirm this 100%.

Don't think this is true. I think campsite is same as usual. Finner would be just too far for those choosing to walk.

This is my first year attending the festival, what is the weather usually like up there? Looking forward to a weekend of serious blues music!

Weather is absolutely cracking up here today and yesterday. Hoping it stays the same for the weekend.

As for bands to see, from post above. Don't miss Pat McManus, Sinnerboy, Seamie O'Dowd.

Also, if you get a chance, the big top gigs are only 15 euro each apart from the bigger one on Sunday night which is 20.
    The Answer are playing one of the nights, supported AC/DCs world tour a few years ago.
    Also, Pat McManus with Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Heading up tomorrow, finger's crossed the weather stays fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

So who went to this? How'd ye get on?

I went yesterday. Planted ourselves at Owen Roe's for the evening. Two great acts played. Good enough atmosphere about and bumped into a good few people that I only ever see on this weekend of the year.

The crowd has got smaller and smaller over the last two years. Which is a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

Couldn't make it myself this year. Gutted. Heard crowds were down massively, but music was meant to be amazing.

Pat McManus with Andy Powell of Wishbone Ash was meant to be an absolute cracker.

Same as that could not make it in the end, either .. family emergency.

Sad to hear that crowds are down. Damned Recession :-(

Next Year, please God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Great weekend, the crowds were down a bit alright, but it still very busy.
    The Answer and Pat McManus were the highlights for me.

Advertisement