Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blacklist [NBC - US] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Netflix Acquires ‘The Blacklist’ For $2 Million An Episode
    In what is believed to be the biggest subscription video-on-demand deal for a TV series, I’ve learned that Netflix has acquired the rights to hit NBC drama The Blacklist from Sony Pictures TV in a deal that will net $2 million per episode.

I hear Season 1 of the series starring James Spader will debut on the streaming service next weekend. As for future seasons, Netflix usually makes them available shortly after the season finales.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-blacklist-netflix-deal-2-million-825836/

2mil an episode! Crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭squonk

Blacklist is good but not $44 Million good alright! I wouldn't have thought it was that heavy hitting a show to command that money. If they started showing S1 next Jan well into S2 on terrestrial I don't think too many would be bothered. Certainly not this side of the pond anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

squonk wrote: »
    No disrespect to you Freudian but that was a crap article. It sounds to me like hype and that they'll largely continue where they left off. I'd have thought it was inevitable that Lizzie would want someone to keep her warm at night now that fake hubbie is out of the picture. Also, did anyone not proof read the article? Baunderies? I thought it was a mis-type by Freudian but damn if it's not there on the article!

I didn't post nor write the article.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Two observations
    * If Martin Blank doesn't show up in this somewhere, I'll be very disappointed.
    * If ever there's a biopic of the last days of Hunter S. Thompson, Spader is a shoo-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Fun start to the season - the opening scene with the warlord was great (mainly because of Red's mannerisms).

I wouldn't have minded a little "Previous on...." segment at the start, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just watching the pilot, and it's eh, a bit crap? Seems like a cheap Steven Seagal film. Just a a load of cliched action scenes poorly stitched together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Haven't liked the first two episodes of season 2 so far, the storylines and reactions of the actors just seem a bit ridiculous and why is Mossad popping up everywhere, one woman holding off a bunch of armed men in the second episode, what? Not to mention the hold ''zoom in on that image thing and it comes up so ridiculously clear''. I don't know, the acting and storyline seem really bad this season.

It's not lighting my fire so far this season either. It seemed more organic and immediate last season. Stupid and all as it seemed at the time, the Tom Keane angle really paid off later on and it seemed like much more thought went into each episode before. There was a certain human side to things, especially with Lizzy and Tom involved and her questions about Tom, Red and how she could deal with everything.

Now it looks like they've just dumbed things down to manhunt/shootout of the week. They've even managed to change Liz a bit. I spent the first episode thinking something was different but couldn't put my finger on it. With episode 2 it occurred to me. Last season she was a rookie agent and acted like it. She was confident but you sensed she knew her limits and was also hamstrung by the various issues going on in her life. Now she looks like she's been running investigations for 15 years. It's jarring. Just to emphasise that it's like they've given the actress a makeover. She looks thinner and has a new hairdo. It's all very generic FBI hardass agent chick now. Last year's Liz was finding her way. This year's one looks like she's been around the block and then some. They've just taken the unique points of the show and toned them down to the point where it's now just a generic old show you could see anywhere. If this was how Season 1 rolled we wouldn't be talking about this show right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It has the feeling of a show nobody expected to last beyond season one. Quick and bored writing. Actors who are barely awake. Pantomime villains. The Berlin asshole looks and talks like some stag party remnant playing the hardman at 2 AM in Temple Bar.
    I thought with the opening shots of part one we might be travelling back into Red's past - fun and games in the Congo. Spot of piracy down Africa way. But no, 5 minutes later we're back to Drippy can't-keep-me-a-husband naval gazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

It's not lighting my fire so far this season either. It seemed more organic and immediate last season. Stupid and all as it seemed at the time, the Tom Keane angle really paid off later on and it seemed like much more thought went into each episode before. There was a certain human side to things, especially with Lizzy and Tom involved and her questions about Tom, Red and how she could deal with everything.

Now it looks like they've just dumbed things down to manhunt/shootout of the week. They've even managed to change Liz a bit. I spent the first episode thinking something was different but couldn't put my finger on it. With episode 2 it occurred to me. Last season she was a rookie agent and acted like it. She was confident but you sensed she knew her limits and was also hamstrung by the various issues going on in her life. Now she looks like she's been running investigations for 15 years. It's jarring. Just to emphasise that it's like they've given the actress a makeover. She looks thinner and has a new hairdo. It's all very generic FBI hardass agent chick now. Last year's Liz was finding her way. This year's one looks like she's been around the block and then some. They've just taken the unique points of the show and toned them down to the point where it's now just a generic old show you could see anywhere. If this was how Season 1 rolled we wouldn't be talking about this show right now.

I mostly agree with the above. Second series has got off to a very poor start.

I finished the first series a few weeks ago and found it enjoyable despite its most absurd elements. Things like 'serial killer of the week' is a common trope in shows with a running arc going back to The X-Files. I think they've blown their load and may have peaked already however where X-Files was able to drag out their conspiracy storyline into a half dozen seasons before becoming too stale to stomach.

I get the impression that they are trying to create their own Walter White/Heisenberg character in Reddington to anchor the series and stories/other characters be damned.

I had read about the casting of
    Paul Reubens
    and assumed that he was Berlin which excited me but instead it's the schlocky creepy psycho eye doctor from Minority Report, a character Stormare has played to death.

Gonna give the show a wide berth for a few weeks and pick it up to see if it has improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I thought by the third episode it would pick up, but I'm left disappointed with it again. The episode each week aren't really giving me anything interesting to latch on to and each episode ends with no cliffhanger just a kind of ''meh, see you next episode''. The only two characters I have any remote interest in are Dembe and Red and there are probably the only reason I even have a glance at the episodes each week. I really don't think it's a show that will last past the second season. The idea of a 'bad villain we always get' and the fact that it's a new criminal each week gets stale fast. It's a pity, I thought it would be a good show to watch.

I thought by the third episode it would pick up, but I'm left disappointed with it again. The episode each week aren't really giving me anything interesting to latch on to and each episode ends with no cliffhanger just a kind of ''meh, see you next episode''. The only two characters I have any remote interest in are Dembe and Red and there are probably the only reason I even have a glance at the episodes each week. I really don't think it's a show that will last past the second season. The idea of a 'bad villain we always get' and the fact that it's a new criminal each week gets stale fast. It's a pity, I thought it would be a good show to watch.

Agree it hasn't got off to a great start. It might be building toward something but it just seems like the little nuggets you get are red herrings if you'll pardon the pun.

Netflix apparently paid $2m per episode for it so I wouldn't be surprised to see it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

Just saw this thread now. I will be watching the season finale tonight and cannot wait. I have binged on it for the last couple of nights.

It felt a little WTF in places but it has built up nicely. Very good show imo and will be nice to see a second season if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

dobman88 wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now. I will be watching the season finale tonight and cannot wait. I have binged on it for the last couple of nights.

It felt a little WTF in places but it has built up nicely. Very good show imo and will be nice to see a second season if it happens.

Second season has already started. Into 3rd episode in US and 2nd on Sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭dobman88

statto25 wrote: »
    Second season has already started. Into 3rd episode in US and 2nd on Sky

Great. Thanks for that. I thought it was only one season so far, don't have sky and didn't look around online. Sounds like I have some downloading to do.

The tedium continued this week
    with even more red herrings. Last week's show cliffhanger (if you could even call it that) wasn't addressed this week.

This series is being split in two a la Breaking Bad series five. It's going away on November 10th and returns in February when the first of a two-parter airs after the Superbowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Ageyev wrote: »
    The tedium continued this week
    with even more red herrings. Last week's show cliffhanger (if you could even call it that) wasn't addressed this week.

This series is being split in two a la Breaking Bad series five. It's going away on November 10th and returns in February when the first of a two-parter airs after the Superbowl.

Yes it was :confused:
    She was sitting there waiting to go in, and the guy came out and asked is she sure she wants to go in this late.
    Wasnt much, but it was certainly addressed.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I was confused by the dungeon room thing. Have we seen it before?

I also thought the main storyline this week was awful and forced. Like a bad episode of 24 or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished watching Season 2 episode 6 yesterday and am I the only one really curious where this is now going? Also the background story was very interestingly done.
    I spent most of the episode going, hmm, what's the connection to the child? Is it the guy shown at the hotel having been brainwashed or what? Also Reddings comments at the end "That's what makes him such a good man compared to the likes of you... or me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The kid was Dembe - Reds bodyguard. That was the whole point of the episode from Reds point of view - to identify the leader of Mombasa. Even at the end when Red wanted to kill Ace, Dembe didn't see the point - this after all Ace's cartel had done to him

Who's the guy in Liz's dungeon? The animal poaching cartel thing this week fell flat for me. I think I'm slowly but surely losing interest. I generally order my shows of an evening from fun to goodish, then good and then what I'm really looking forward to saved for last. Last year on a Tuesday night Blacklist was last. Last night it started to occur to me that it was time I shifted the show down the schedule. I just don't find it that engaging anymore. There isn't enough of a push this season as regards where the show is going. At the end of the episode I found out there was only 2 more episodes til the fall break. What? I thought that the show had just trundled along so far and it was a bit rich now going on holiday when something actually looked like it might be shaping up to happen. That being said, what's happening isn't looking overly riveting either.

I expected much more from this show this season. Once they do return I hope the back 9-10 episodes will up their game really. Something nees to happen. It's almost a procedural at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Who's the guy in Liz's dungeon?
    That's her husband - Tom; she obviously tracked him down somewhere and doesn't want to tell Reddington about it.

Thanks! I thought it was Tom but what's the point really. AFAIR he was connected to Berlin. We've now seen Berlin outed. Strikes me as flogging a dead horse at this point.

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote: »
    That's her husband - Tom; she obviously tracked him down somewhere and doesn't want to tell Reddington about it.
    IMHO this whole story with Tom in the dungeon was done really sloppily. Presumably it'll all be cleaned up in a nice flashback episode of how she caught him, but that's annoying.

Advertisement