Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

• 14-05-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi lads need some advice here. I'm a complete novice at this stuff, only experience with gardening is pushing the mower!
    The lawn is on a slope away from the house and there is a soggy patch on the highest part of the lawn, the rest of the garden could be dry but this patch will be extremely soggy even after a few dry days.
    Should I install a french drain leading into a soakaway at the lowest point of the garden?
    Any advice/pointers would be of great help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

before putting in a drain is there any way you can assertain if there is a spring in your garden?

I have a preference for open drains here in Ireland as the enormous amounts of water we get could soon overcome the diameter of the drainage pipes. Easier to clean out too.Our ancestors favored open drains too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Try to find out why there is such a wet patch before trying to resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭geordief

How long has it been like that?

In my case it was a leaking (rusty) underground water pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

As far as I can tell the patch only forms in heavy rain but it takes days for it to dry out and I dont think that there are any underwater drains running under the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Assuming the cause is rain (and not a leaking underground pipe from your roof drainage) then it is most likely there is something in the ground preventing the water soaking down.

Is it possible that this is the area where the builders buried a load of waste?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭r0n0c

I don't know, I'll dig down a bit at the weekend

Advertisement