Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matures who have had to pay full fees

Options
  • 14-05-2013 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering are there any mature students (or Noddies as I believe we're called :p) out there that have had to pay for their fees due to already completing a course of the same level previously? I'm in this boat. Hoping to apply for acedemic year 14/15 for Midwifery through the mature code. I'm saving like crazy but realistically will still have to take out a loan.

Just want to know how have you coped with paying for fee's? If you managed work part-time alongside college, how did you find juggling both? Is it do-able full stop or a bridge too far? Has anyone else taken a loan and was it manageable?

I have another option of doing a part time course in Social Care which would be at least closer to the area in which I want to work than the area I am currently in (admin) but realistically Midwifery is what I want.

Any help or advice would be appreciated...:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Hi Hairycakes-can't help really as I'd be in a similar position to you. I'm working in admin but would love to be a nurse-I had it down when I did the LC back in 2002 but I decided to do Arts instead (worst decision ever!).

Unfortunatly I don't think it's financially possible for me, I have two young girls so I can't afford to give up work and still pay childcare and go back to college but I'm still young (29) so maybe in 10 years i'll do it! I just wanted to ask you where is the part time Social Care course you are thinking of doing? Maybe that is more realistic for me too:)

Thanks,
    Caroline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

My brother did a level 6 in an IT, then did another course, a level 8 in a university.

My understanding is that he would have to have paid full fees for the first two years in university as thats equivilent to a level 6 which he already had. But he never had to. This was a couple of years ago, so not sure about now or how he got away with it.

I have a level 7. Wonder if I did a level 8, would I be ok with the fees because its a higher level. I dont fancy taking the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Hey SaggyCaggy/Caroline :)

It's funny because I did the exact same thing. I studied Arts (I did have it down as my first choice at the advice of our schools career guidence teacher) but I had nursing down for pretty much all my other choices. My biggest regret is not going for nursing at the time but I didn't realise how hard it would be to go back. But no point crying over spilt milk and all that...

I have one girl and am a single parent so at the moment I'm looking into see if I'd be eligable for the Single Parent Payment and if that could continue while I'm in college. That'll be a big deciding factor. I'm fully prepared to take out a loan and also to work part time but to be able to get that would give a bit of breathing space. If you haven't already, maybe you should check and see if anything like that would apply to you?

Also, another option I was thinking of would be to train as a care attendant, I think it's a FETAC level 5 (sorry I haven't looked too far into this option yet but if anyone else has further info on this, please let me know). The HSE offer a small number of scholarships each year for Care Attendants who have been in continuous service with them for two years to go on and do nursing/midwifery. It's a bit of a drawn out way to do it and there's no guarantees but at least you'd be working and working in the area you want to be in. It would also help you if you go on to apply as a Mature Student in your personal statement and interview. I'll post the HSE document regarding this when I find it again. The downside also is I don't know realistically how likely you'd be to get into the HSE with the freeze on recruitment. Again anyone with any ideas on this or who has gone through this process, feel free to let us know.

The social care course I was looking at is in Athlone IT, Higher Cert in Arts in Applied Social Studies in Social Care (Level 6 HETAC). It's over three years. The first year requires 1 day a week, the second year is placement and there are quite a lot of hours placement required as and from this year. 520 hours in year 2. The specifics of the placement will be given in year 1. Then year 3 is one day a week. Course fees are e2350 for year 1 & 3 and e850 for year 2. Caroline Burke in AIT (cburke@ait.ie) can answer any queries in relation to the course. Last years prospectus is on the website at the moment, I'm sure the new one will be up soon with details. The closing date for applications isn't until 16 August 2013 so you have some time to think it over and plan ahead. Also, have a look at other colleges that may be more convenient to you. Carlow IT also have a Social Care course but I think they require you to be working in the area at present (though that may not be a hard rule) and I know NUI Galway do a course through Laois Third Level which I have enquired about but haven't gotten a response.

Hope this helps in some way!! And good luck in whatever you choose to do. If there's anythign else I can help with just holler :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

My brother did a level 6 in an IT, then did another course, a level 8 in a university.

My understanding is that he would have to have paid full fees for the first two years in university as thats equivilent to a level 6 which he already had. But he never had to. This was a couple of years ago, so not sure about now or how he got away with it.

I have a level 7. Wonder if I did a level 8, would I be ok with the fees because its a higher level. I dont fancy taking the chance.

Hi HardLuckWoman,

I wonder did your brother progress to the level 8 degree through the level 6 degree. As in were the two courses related. If so, from what I've seen, he would not have been liable for the fees.

If it was a completely different course and he started from scratch, then please ask him what his secret was? :)

I think the same would apply to you, as in, if the level 8 you want to do is a progression from your level 7 then fees are not applicable.

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

If it's your first level 7 or level 8 degree, you don't pay fee's regardless if you've already completed a level 6. You still would have to pay the student contribution however (which can be covered by SUSI)

If you have already fully completed a level 7 or a level 8, you are liable for all fees for another level 7 or level 8, tuition or otherwise, regardless of how long you have been out of education.

The only exceptions are students who attended, but did not complete their level 7 or 8 after a break of 5 years or more can get free fees again.

The only circumstance of already having a level 7 to get free fee's for a level 8 is to do a fourth 'add-on' year, which will bring your level 7 to a level 8. You won't be able to do a full level 8 course if you already completed a level 7, you'll only be able to do an extra 4th year as an add-on.

If you are studying part-time, the fees are generally lower than going full-time. You can also claim tax back on fees that you pay for part time courses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement